• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    View attachment 33315 Long story short, pulled the trigger on a big fat doe Saturday, instead of a hearty BOOM, all we got was CLICK!
    ( shooting a H&R Ultra Slugger) thought I must not have cocked the gun all the way(?) , so I re-cocked the gun. Now the doe has heard the loud click, and turned to go the way she came. When the shot was there, I squeezed the trigger again. CLICK!!!
    now I freak! Open the action, check the barrel to be sure it's clear, grab another shell. By now the doe is moving away, but I thought I had her. This shot went off correctly, but I was geeked out, and missed. ( I did shoot the gun a little later at camp, nailed a pumpkin at 80 yards. Gun is fine )
    So. Is this something you would write to Remington about? What should I expect? I have been shooting this ammo for at least 6 years, never had this issue.
    For the record, it is the Remington Accu-Tip slug, in 3".

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It wouldn't hurt to tell Remington. From experience I can tell you Remington will blame the gun. H&R will blame the ammo. You will get tired of fighting and give up. You might get a free box of slugs, but your not going to get much for your effort.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It happens sometimes. I think it was a dud primer also.

H&R are decent guns and I started out using one. Now wont use one for that very reason. Would have been better to rack the action after the first click and be back on target.

O well lessons we all learn. Time in the woods is too precious to have a gear failure. Say your prayers and the big man will send you a bigger deer to harvest.

Good luck and I hope you get one.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    What is it you are after? Something free from ...somebody...an apology from...somebody? Sorry you didn't get your deer but a misfire, just flat out missing, a spooked animal for whatever reason, seem to me, to just be part of hunting.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I remember several years ago, sitting for hours in a tree in the rain during muzzleloading season. Had my beloved TC Hawken. I watched as a buck come up "grazing" and gave me his broadside at about 20yds. I set the hair trigger, found my sights and my spot and squeezed. Click. He looked up, did not take a step. I pulled the hammer back, set the hair trigger, found my sights and my spot and squeezed. Click again.

This time he starts walking away as I am chewjng my gloves off my hands. This particular cap that I was using had the curious habit of bottle capping on to the nipple when struck by the hammer. By the time I had (my knife scrape) the cap off and get another on, my shot was gone. At the end of my hunt for the day and before putting the rifle in my truck, as was my habit, I emptied it by firing. I pulled it to my shoulder, set the hair trigger and squeezed. Ka-boooom.

This trip is one of my favorite trips and a lesson was learned. Even with the rain, it was a beautiful gray day, I put myself in a great spot, and I saw a beautiful animal doing what they do.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I remember several years ago, sitting for hours in a tree in the rain during muzzleloading season. Had my beloved TC Hawken. I watched as a buck come up "grazing" and gave me his broadside at about 20yds. I set the hair trigger, found my sights and my spot and squeezed. Click. He looked up, did not take a step. I pulled the hammer back, set the hair trigger, found my sights and my spot and squeezed. Click again.

This time he starts walking away as I am chewjng my gloves off my hands. This particular cap that I was using had the curious habit of bottle capping on to the nipple when struck by the hammer. By the time I had (my knife scrape) the cap off and get another on, my shot was gone. At the end of my hunt for the day and before putting the rifle in my truck, as was my habit, I emptied it by firing. I pulled it to my shoulder, set the hair trigger and squeezed. Ka-boooom.

This trip is one of my favorite trips and a lesson was learned. Even with the rain, it was a beautiful gray day, I put myself in a great spot, and I saw a beautiful animal doing what they do.

Thats about like the morning I shot an amazing buck. Maybe a 20 yard broadside shot, first thing opening day. Set the cross hair, eased the safety off, pulled the trigger. Instead of a KABOOM, or click, I got more of a fizzling sound, and the bullet left so slow, I could see it actually hit the deer. He jumped, looked at me with a WTF expression, and walked off. Lesson learned, check the powder, and keep muzzleloaders dry.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I seem to remember transfer bar problems leading to light strikes with these rifles. That was about 5 years ago or so, and they've since redesigned the transfer bar. I had a .44 that had it break, installed one from a spare frame I had and that took care of it.

Top Bottom