• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've found them to be slightly slanted at times, but overall they do a pretty good job of reporting fairly, moreso that just about anyone else out there. The catch is, to someone far right or far left, anyone in the middle looks like the enemy.
    Don't necessarily agree. I listen almost every morning, and I've heard comments from the reporters during an interview that made me cringe. Their approach to interviewing conservative and leftist guests is noticeably different - mostly softball questions and sycophantry for the left, hardball for the right. Some interviews step out of this mold, but it is rare enough that it attracts my attention when it does.

"Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" doesn't pretend to be news, and it isn't. It's the "Doonesbury" of radio.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And how would they collect the data?

NIBRS reporting captures the type of premises the crime occurs on. Not everyone reports into NIBRS, though, so it won't be 100% complete.

I don't *think* the older UCR captured premises data, but honestly I don't remember for sure.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Me thinks you hear them as slanted because you're slanted towards the right.

Don't necessarily agree. I listen almost every morning, and I've heard comments from the reporters during an interview that made me cringe. Their approach to interviewing conservative and leftist guests is noticeably different - mostly softball questions and sycophantry for the left, hardball for the right. Some interviews step out of this mold, but it is rare enough that it attracts my attention when it does.

"Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" doesn't pretend to be news, and it isn't. It's the "Doonesbury" of radio.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    NIBRS reporting captures the type of premises the crime occurs on. Not everyone reports into NIBRS, though, so it won't be 100% complete.

I don't *think* the older UCR captured premises data, but honestly I don't remember for sure.

How do they report? Do they report individually or as a group? As in x number of homicides total with x in street, x in residence, x in school. If the latter then the same kind of errors are possible that happened in this survey, number in the wrong box.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How do they report? Do they report individually or as a group? As in x number of homicides total with x in street, x in residence, x in school. If the latter then the same kind of errors are possible that happened in this survey, number in the wrong box.

Individually. Any time a police report is made under NIBRS you have to select the premises type. Any report, doesn't matter if it's a theft, shooting, runaway, etc.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Individually. Any time a police report is made under NIBRS you have to select the premises type. Any report, doesn't matter if it's a theft, shooting, runaway, etc.

Thank you much. That makes it much, much less likely for errors on the scale of this survey, but not errors at all. But only about a 1/3rd report to NIBRS I believe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you much. That makes it much, much less likely for errors on the scale of this survey, but not errors at all. But only about a 1/3rd report to NIBRS I believe.

So the FBI says. NIBRS is still fairly new, replacing UCR. You also can't compare UCR to NIBRS because of how the data is captured. Under UCR if there's a robbery, rape, arson, and murder all in one event it's reported as a murder. Under NIBRS each individual crime would be recorded (in theory) so it makes it look like crime rates are going up if you try to do direct comparisons.

Also keep in mind that 1/3 of departments doesn't equate to 1/3 of the US's population. If NYPD uses it and forty nine Southport PD sized departments don't, that 2% of departments covers about 4800 times as many people as the 98% that don't.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So the FBI says. NIBRS is still fairly new, replacing UCR. You also can't compare UCR to NIBRS because of how the data is captured. Under UCR if there's a robbery, rape, arson, and murder all in one event it's reported as a murder. Under NIBRS each individual crime would be recorded (in theory) so it makes it look like crime rates are going up if you try to do direct comparisons.

Also keep in mind that 1/3 of departments doesn't equate to 1/3 of the US's population. If NYPD uses it and forty nine Southport PD sized departments don't, that 2% of departments covers about 4800 times as many people as the 98% that don't.

Yep, that is what the FBI says, they should have an idea of how many agencies are using it though. And yes I understand the problems with comparing crime rate between UC and NIBRS. But what do you consider fairly new? It's been out for what 27 years or so, it was introduced in 1991.

And while I do understand that the percent covered would be very dependent on which agencies are using it. I can't find current data but for 2012, "In 2012 NIBRS-contributing agencies served approximately 30 percent of the U.S. population and accounted for 28 percent of all crime reported to the UCR Program." So pretty close.
    https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=301

ETA But it still causes problems with extrapolating the data nationwide, depending on which specific agencies are reporting. Lets compare the crime rate for Gary to the crime rate of a comparable population of rural IN.

Last edited:

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    The fact that anyone views NPR as "in the middle" only illustrates how the left has taken control of the media. Anyone who views NPR as such are likely slanted left, or they aren't paying attention.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Typical far right wing fringe response.

If it's not coming from Breitbart, Tucker Carlson, Bill O'Reilley, Tomi Lahren, etc..... it's liberal MSM! And anyone who thinks different is a communist!

The fact that anyone views NPR as "in the middle" only illustrates how the left has taken control of the media. Anyone who views NPR as such are likely slanted left, or they aren't paying attention.

Top Bottom