Does anyone else find grips feel fine no matter the handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I like to read through the board on a lot of different topics to broaden my understanding of what others feel about a different topics related to firearms. I have noticed people don't like the feel of this gun, or that gun, but i never seem to have that problem. The only handgun i didn't like the feel of is the NAA mini i bought for my girlfriend, it was too small for my hands, i am 6'3" and 340 lbs, so i have pretty big hands. I however have had no real problems with anything else, i have owned everything from a Kel-Tec P3AT, to a Ruger Super Redhawk. Glock's, Beretta's, Ruger's, 1911's, semi auto's to revolvers, everything seems to fit me just fine, are any of you the same way, or am i just an oddball?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You may be among the lucky few that can shoot and deal with any of the wild number of grip types out there. I prefer a larger grip and I even add grip circumference to some of my guns by adding a Hogue slip on grip sleeve. Angle doesn't bother me as much but the wider the better for me on the grip.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I like to read through the board on a lot of different topics to broaden my understanding of what others feel about a different topics related to firearms. I have noticed people don't like the feel of this gun, or that gun, but i never seem to have that problem. The only handgun i didn't like the feel of is the NAA mini i bought for my girlfriend, it was too small for my hands, i am 6'3" and 340 lbs, so i have pretty big hands. I however have had no real problems with anything else, i have owned everything from a Kel-Tec P3AT, to a Ruger Super Redhawk. Glock's, Beretta's, Ruger's, 1911's, semi auto's to revolvers, everything seems to fit me just fine, are any of you the same way, or am i just an oddball?

I am the same way. I have guns I prefer more than others, but over all, I am comfortable with everything.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I'm right there with you. I find I can shoot any handgun fine no matter what size or the angle of the grip. I switch from grip sizes and angles on different guns each time I shoot, which is weekly and have never had a problem. I'm the same way with long guns, short stocks, long stocks, pistol grips, straight stocks to thin or fat stocks, no problem. However, we are all different and I know people who can't ajust. I'm just luckly I guess.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Big hands here, too, but with tapered fingers. I can grab anything and make it work ok. None of them are really uncomfortable, just some of them aim more naturally for me. I'm sure with practice I could overcome that, but I fit a 1911 and if I grab a glock I'll be firing warning shots over their heads, but then I take a MKx Ruger to the range, and with careful aim I hit the target, but of course I don't anticipate using one of those for SD.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Mostly I feel the same way.

Only exceptions are as follows,

ruger et al, makes me feel dirty.

glock 26/27/29/30/36 I do not understand them, why didnt they just trim the length of a G17 frame down?

smith and wesson,- anything but pachmayr or smith target grips, have felt wrong (I have no experience with any of the many custom grip makers out their, and am only comparing commercial grips)

Single action revolvers always leave me confused.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Long thin fingers here and like you, I never really notice a problem with the grips on any pistol that I have picked up.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Some definitely feel more rightish (grammar?) in my hands. The shape of the glock grips irritates me. The XDm rubs my wife the wrong way (and actually leaves a mark on her hand) but she loves the large blocky Sigs which feel too wide to me.

On the other hand my M&P makes me feel dirty. In a good way. (deep breath/sigh).

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There's a big difference between being able to "shoot a gun" and "shoot a gun effectively against an attacker".

I can shoot any gun. Sight alignment, trigger control, bang.

But when it comes to using one to fight, I'll take one that gives me all the advantages I can handle. Minor differences in natural point of aim and comfort come into play here. I want the gun I can be the most effective with.

For some people those minor differences can be amplified by body mechanics, hand/finger size, or physical handicaps. I have short chubby fingers so grip circumference plays a critical part in my personal selection. It may not for others.

Top Bottom