Does anyone else simply ignore "What's your bottom dollar?" PMs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I've pretty much got rid of most of my "collectible" guns or pretty guns that some people collect for value or whatever. All my collection is now is functional and modern. Which I enjoy because it's what I know best with both eyes closed and spun in circles.
    Ive kept afew sentimental things but mostly anything I have now can be used to squire other things if I needor want them
    :thumbsup: Brother

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If i have something for sale i expect someone to make me an offer or pay my price. I always counter a guy who asks me "whats your bottom line best price" with whats your best offer? That has always ended the conversation. I can not rationalize the mindset of someone who expects me to bid against myself rather than make me an offer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like to let others pay to break in my driving and shooting gear. I help them out when they are ready for a change. :)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If i have something for sale i expect someone to make me an offer or pay my price. I always counter a guy who asks me "whats your bottom line best price" with whats your best offer? That has always ended the conversation. I can not rationalize the mindset of someone who expects me to bid against myself rather than make me an offer.

ding ding ding! If I have listed a price in my ad, I have already made my first move. Why bargain against myself? If someone wants to make a counter offer, make a counter!

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I didn't realize asking someone at the meet up "is that the bottom dollar" was taken so harshly. Some people get offended easily. I can guarantee every time I meet you I'm gonna ask. I'm always prepared and have the money to give you the price we agree on. In fact I expect you to ask me if I'm selling. It isn't personal, it's money ie it's business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself financially. There is also no need to be an arsehole and take everything personal during negotiations or during a sale.

The whole classified thing here is getting ridiculous anyway. People want to sell something for what they paid for it or 20 dollars less than new then they expect you to drive within a mile of their house. The only reason they want you to drive to within a mile is because they don't want you to know where they live which is understandable. If you are expecting me to jump through hoops, drive 130 miles while you drive 1 then get offended when I ask you if that's your bottom dollar when we meet up then don't sell me anything. If you happen to have something for sale and I PM you about just send me one back and tell me your not interested in dealing. It's cool. I won't take it personal. At the end of the day it doesn't mean either one of us was an arsehole it was just business. And remember if I'm selling something I expect you to ask me when we meet up. Sometimes I have wiggle room and sometimes I don't. But if your there at the meet up I figure you are expecting to pay what we agreed on but your just trying to improve the situation for yourself and I can't fault you for that.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didn't realize asking someone at the meet up "is that the bottom dollar" was taken so harshly. Some people get offended easily. I can guarantee every time I meet you I'm gonna ask. I'm always prepared and have the money to give you the price we agree on. In fact I expect you to ask me if I'm selling. It isn't personal, it's money ie it's business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself financially. There is also no need to be an arsehole and take everything personal during negotiations or during a sale.

Barring something wrong, (listed as new, but not new, etc) the meetup is not the time to pull that crap. By the time my car keys are in my hand the terms of the deal are set. Period. If you want to haggle to save a few sheckels, do it up front. Don't waste my time and energy when we should be exchanging and driving away.

If if you aren't ready to do the deal as agreed on here and maybe shoot the breeze for a few minutes, don't commit.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

The whole classified thing here is getting ridiculous anyway. People want to sell something for what they paid for it or 20 dollars less than new then they expect you to drive within a mile of their house. The only reason they want you to drive to within a mile is because they don't want you to know where they live which is understandable. If you are expecting me to jump through hoops, drive 130 miles while you drive 1 then get offended when I ask you if that's your bottom dollar when we meet up then don't sell me anything. If you happen to have something for sale and I PM you about just send me one back and tell me your not interested in dealing. It's cool. I won't take it personal. At the end of the day it doesn't mean either one of us was an arsehole it was just business. And remember if I'm selling something I expect you to ask me when we meet up. Sometimes I have wiggle room and sometimes I don't. But if your there at the meet up I figure you are expecting to pay what we agreed on but your just trying to improve the situation for yourself and I can't fault you for that.

Just want to make sure I understand where you are coming from. If we negotiate on something and agree on a price then you think it's okay to further negotiate during the meet up for a lower price after I've already marked the item SPF and took my time and gas to get to the meeting place?

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Just to be clear. If I see something in the classifieds and it looks like a decent price I will send you a PM and say I will take it, where can we meet. At that point technically I have agreed to pay that amount. I'm not going to try to stand there and haggle with you. I'm just going to ask you. Technically I've agreed to your asking price. I have the money in my pocket we technically agreed upon which is your asking price. When I show up to make the deal don't get all butt hurt if I ask you if that's your bottom dollar. You all have your quirks and I'm allowed mine. I'm just saying if someone asking you if that's your bottom dollar when you meet and makes you butt hurt and sore then you should put me on ignore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just to be clear. If I see something in the classifieds and it looks like a decent price I will send you a PM and say I will take it, where can we meet. At that point technically I have agreed to pay that amount. I'm not going to negotiate anything over PM's. When I show up to make the deal don't get all butt hurt if I ask you if that's your bottom dollar. If you don't like it then put me on ignore. You all have your quirks and I'm allowed mine.

If you agree to take it at the posted price and then try and negotiate at the meet up you will be left there standing alone. What you have effectively done is lock a "Deal" and taken it out of the loop. At that point it is a deal.
    This is not a quirk. This is poor practice. Think and do as you will. This is JMHO.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just to be clear. If I see something in the classifieds and it looks like a decent price I will send you a PM and say I will take it, where can we meet. At that point technically I have agreed to pay that amount. I'm not going to try to stand there and haggle with you. I'm just going to ask you. Technically I've agreed to your asking price. I have the money in my pocket we technically agreed upon which is your asking price. When I show up to make the deal don't get all butt hurt if I ask you if that's your bottom dollar. You all have your quirks and I'm allowed mine. I'm just saying if someone asking you if that's your bottom dollar when you meet and makes you butt hurt and sore then you should put me on ignore.

I won't be putting you on ignore. You are a site supporter :yesway: and participate in discussions. You are not a flipper or a classified squatter.

That being said, I agree that it's in very bad form to try to negotiate for a lower price at the meeting, even just a simple asking. A price was negotiated before hand and to do anything besides being honorable about it is not good. Due to my location I most likely took a few hours out of my day to meet someone. Go look at some of my classified WTS posts. You'll see that I live almost on the Ohio line a bit north of I70. I know there isn't much activity in this area so my ads (for firearms and higher dollar items at least) usually say I will meet someone as far north as Fort Wayne to Kokomo, Indy and south to Connersville. That's a HUGE chunk of the state. If I agreed to meet with you somewhere and you tried to lower the price by one single dollar I would leave you standing there without a single word. The minute I got home I guarantee I would be leaving negative iTrader feedback.

To me, the entire process is as much about character & integrity as it is about the money. I won't deal with those that I suspect are lacking in any of the three. If you agree to a price then you should honor that price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I won't be putting you on ignore. You are a site supporter :yesway: and participate in discussions. You are not a flipper or a classified squatter.

That being said, I agree that it's in very bad form to try to negotiate for a lower price at the meeting, even just a simple asking. A price was negotiated before hand and to do anything besides being honorable about it is not good. Due to my location I most likely took a few hours out of my day to meet someone. Go look at some of my classified WTS posts. You'll see that I live almost on the Ohio line a bit north of I70. I know there isn't much activity in this area so my ads (for firearms and higher dollar items at least) usually say I will meet someone as far north as Fort Wayne to Kokomo, Indy and south to Connersville. That's a HUGE chunk of the state. If I agreed to meet with you somewhere and you tried to lower the price by one single dollar I would leave you standing there without a single word. The minute I got home I guarantee I would be leaving negative iTrader feedback.

To me, the entire process is as much about character & integrity as it is about the money. I won't deal with those that I suspect are lacking in any of the three. If you agree to a price then you should honor that price.

:)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

Please never reply to anything i have for sale

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Thank you for letting us know about your "Quirk" as you call it.

I have another opinion of what to call it but I feel an explanation would fall on deaf ears.

Your "Quirk" puts you in the, you are not somebody I will deal with list.

Since you said if anybody has a problem with your "Quirk" they should put you on their ignore list, that means you are cool with me never dealing with you.

Thanks for understanding.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thats not a quirk, thats a d*** move.

Do you also stand there waiting to get your keys to your new car after buying it online, telling the seller that you arent ready to hand over the check/cash because the price may not actually be to your liking after all?

As others have said, if you say "i'll take it" you made a commitment to taking it at the stated price. Period, end of sentence, its sealed. At that point the only negotiation that is appropriate is when/where/how to take delivery. Any other actions are not in good faith. And it looks like its not just my opinion.

You arent ignored, but I know We will never deal in the classifieds. And if you wouldnt mind, if you are in sales or own a business, please post your business name so I know not to deal with your "quirkiness" in my professional dealings as well.

Top Bottom