does anyone else think the indiana gun hunting laws are crazy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    You can use any caliber of rifle for hunting coyote and hogs, but you are limited on handgun cartridge bullets in deer rifles. If their concern is bullet distance this makes absolutely no sense. The bullet is going to travel an equal distance in both scenarios. you can use a 45-70 handgun but not a rifle does anyone else find this strange.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, it makes little sense and is frustrating.

Last edited:

rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I am not doing anything wrong here. this is a gun forum correct. are you guys that picky on here. I am trying to get info and join the forum and yes eventually place maybe 3 gun ads. You guys have been rude since the first day I got on here.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    DNR has a lot of rules that don't make sense not just this one; but I can see their thinking---Have any of you guys ever been in Hoosier National on opening day of deer season? It's pretty crazy down there and DNR is worried about fatalities. Believe me there are still a lot of deer hunters who shouldn't be out with a gun of any kind.

I personally think rifles in rifle calibers should be legal in spite of idiot deer hunters. I doubt the DNR will change their thinking though. Besides the DNR there are a lot of deer hunters against rifles also---I guess they're still trying to protect the deer herd or "impose their ethics" on other deer hunters.

FWIW---My brother and a close friend shoot a rifle cartridge that works under existing rules. It goes by 358bfg, 358hdh or 358idc--depending on who you talk to. It is a win wssm necked up to 358 and shortened to 1.625. There's also a 358 Grant that meets the rules. These cartridges mimic the ballistics of the 358 winchester and are good out to 300yds in the hands of a good rifleman.

Steve

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am not doing anything wrong here. this is a gun forum correct. are you guys that picky on here. I am trying to get info and join the forum and yes eventually place maybe 3 gun ads. You guys have been rude since the first day I got on here.

Most of the stuff you are asking about or starting threads about has already been discussed. A simple search will get you the info you are wanting to learn. Search-fu strengthener

I am pretty sure there is a rule about padding your post count to gain access to the classifieds RULES

Read the underlined part of the Classifieds rules section.

I will tell you that up until today I have not said anything to you so how you think I have been rude since you have been here (two whole weeks by the way) is beyond me. I will let you in on a little Ancient INGO secret...

Broaden your shoulders cause very few people here pull punches. If your feelings are easily hurt this may not be the place for you, I do know somewhere you would fit in... just click here there is only one person you will have to worry about there and he is just a little Grumpy. [I am a teddy bear compared to some...i.e. Jack Ryan (sorry to throw ya under the bus Jack)]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm not a hunter, I wouldn't know about laws regarding hunting.

But I do know that Indiana has some of the most reasonable gun laws in the Nation otherwise. Hard to find a better place regarding your Second Amendment rights... except maybe Montana, which is apparently trying to circumvent even National law re: firearms ownershi - ... oh, sorry, I forgot this was a troll thread.

hunt3rsd3n

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Honestly, does it really matter? Legit or not, it is a thread and has as much value as some of the other fluff on here. The site rule is set and re-set to make sure someone is not fly-by-night and cannot just join to list a few guns. If someone wants to take the effort to post the new minimum requirement just to list a few guns, then so be it. Are we going to keep raising the bar for the psuedo-gun enthusiasts that covet this site.

Don't get me wrong...I've met and done deals with quite a few of the mods and whole heartedly support and enjoy this site. I just think it is a little silly for us to question each post. This site is to be about a community of like-minded gun enthusiasts that enjoy water cooler talk about the same and occassionally buy, sell or trade their valued guns, collectibles, or extras. We should be here to support, mentor, and be-friend those who come to INGO for the priviledge and not criticism.

Come on guys...I am relatively new as well and would have flaked off if I got hazed right off the bat. What impression are we giving and making INGO known for?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm not a hunter, I wouldn't know about laws regarding hunting.

But I do know that Indiana has some of the most reasonable gun laws in the Nation otherwise. Hard to find a better place regarding your Second Amendment rights... except maybe Montana, which is apparently trying to circumvent even National law re: firearms ownershi - ... oh, sorry, I forgot this was a troll thread.

Play nice guys. Show how to have a nice conversation and perhaps that is what will actually happen. Let's be Hoosierly nice here.

As per the OP comments, the main beef is the arcane limitation of calibers. Trust me, the world would be infinitely more safe with me in the field carrying a .308 and not a shotgun with slugs. And it would be more humane to the deer to boot.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I really don't see this as a "troll thread" as the rules state you need 50 quality post for the classifieds. I haven't looked at all his post but the ones I've seen have not been one liners. If he ends up selling his items and never returns then shame on me for taking his side. He posted up a thread worthy of discussion making it a quality post...imo.

Back on subject with the OP...I would love to take a deer with my Nagant!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Back on subject with the OP...I would love to take a deer with my Nagant!

And you should be able to! That would rock and there is plenty of really good ammo to do it with the last time I checked (back when I had a Nagant).

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    OK I'll be neighborly. Yes I think that the rules need some work regarding legal hunting rounds.

I will also say that if you let one break the rules we should just take the rule down as no one will follow as a precedent will have been set.

Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    This may be considered nitpicking but just to clairfy, a Nagant is a pistol aka m95 Nagant. I assume you mean however a Mosin Nagant rifle as you would never do much of anything with the pistol except throw it at someone and give them a concussion. So, its a "mosin".

Top Bottom