• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    My LGS has a full stock H&R model 157 that I've been eyeing for a few weeks now. I've researched the ammo and the price is a little high just for a plinker. I'm not a hunter so it would only be used to punch holes in paper. What can this cartridge do that a 22 magnum can't?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Krico in .22 Hornet but have never shot it. An interesting cartridge that was very popular with varmint hunters for years.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife's ex-step-dad has a Rem 700 in .22 Hornet. It's got a beautiful grey laminated stock under it... Gorgeous rifle!

It's a honey-pie to shoot, too.

It'll certainly out perform the .22Mag. It, though, is out performed by SEVERAL cartridges these days (cartridges that are easier to find for sale; less expensive, too)

-J-

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    What Indy Guy said. The Hornet is a great 150 or so yard varmint gun, it's extra power vs the 22WMR makes it ( imo) a better coyote gun. Other 22 centerfires do outperform it at usually lower cost. The brass is a bit more delicate than the 222 0r 223 and this makes it a little more of a challenge to reload.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The .22 Hornet is a model of efficiency. A 40gr will exceed the .22 Mag by ~900fps (~1900fps vs 2800fps) and is useful on vermin out to 200 yds or a tad beyond, while the .22 Mag's limit is ~125 yds.

The Hornet is no slouch, and can push a 35gr to >3,000fps. For about the same cost of jacketed .22WMR you can reload the .22 Hornet, and you can get maybe 7-10 loads from the brass (brass is about half the thickness of normal brass).

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for the replies. Based on everything I've read and what has been posted here I would need to reload in order to make it a cost efficient round for plinking. I've never reloaded before and the general concensus is that the 22 hornet would not be a good round to cut my reloading teeth on. Maybe I'll look into something else.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    22 hornet is no harder than any other rifle round to get started reloading..
    you just have to always trim the cases.. and you are only going to get about 5 to 10 reloads per case..
    cases are not expensive.. and the small powder charge is very cost effective..
    if you use the right powders it is hard to double charge the case..

if you like to hunt small game a 22 hornet should be in your collection.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If yiou just punch paper the 222 rem is most likely the cartridge for you to look at. It was the benchrest cartridge for over 40 years. Brass last longer. It can be loaded down to 22 mag (WEll Almost) speed

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 FS

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 Lux

It will kill coyotes out to 200 yards and you get lots of reloads out of the brass. These both are quality Euro guns as the 222 is still a major round in europe. Both of these are 222 only I believe. The MSRP on these is much higher than the cost at your local gun pusher.

Not that i don't like a hornet but I think the ,222 with the tiny little groups it will shoot is a better choice for you.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Hornets are astounding in that with a reamer they can be turned into KHornets, which are astounding. Some of them need barrels set back a bit, Rugers more often than not, but others just need a ream.

35 VMaxs can get to 3400 fps out of a 22" barrel, and do good work on coyote to 300 meters easily. A 45 TSX out of one makes a fine deer round if you can make it to a state that is smart enough to let you use one.

Reloading for (K)Hornets is not at all difficult and it is very frugal in regard to powders. As mentioned, the brass can't take the beating good centerfires can, but if you neck size it lasts fine.

Top Bottom