Does Anyone Have Experience Reloading for a Taurus Tracker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dasprung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    I am seriously considering buying a Taurus Tracker in 44 magnum but I reload and everywhere I have seen online does not recommend using bullets in 240 grain or higher for that revolver. Is it because the cylinder length is short or is it because the revolver is week? As you can tell I'm having second thoughts because I LOVE reloading 44 mag. A gun that restricts my reloading selection just is no fun. Anyone have any experience with reloading for this wheel gun?

dasprung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    I can't find the link. It was on Taurus' website though with bullet sizes that were not recommended for their handguns. 44 mag stopped at 240. That's driving me nuts. If I'm having second thoughts now what if there is a problem? Wasted time and money hoping I would get lucky and a Taurus could perform like a S&W or Ruger.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'd be immediately suspect of a gun where the manufacturer warns you against using the heavier commonly available bullet weights. Did they offer any explanation as to why?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    This is not that uncommon. Smith & Wesson warns aginst using anything heavier than 130-140 gr in some J-frame .357's. Even venerable K-frames are not supposed to be fed a steady diet over 158 gr. I think S&W even sold a J-frame that had the barrel marked 125 gr only or some such.

It is a combo of the bullet weight and the corresponding powder charge, I beleive. The heavier charges can cause premature throat erosion over time. It is not a flaw, just the nature of smaller frame design.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I have a 3" ruger sp101 357 that is marked 124gr on the barrel. If you put factory 158gr in the are too long to close the cylinder. So I load with a shorter overall (and less powder of corse) so they will fit in the cylinder.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do NOT have a Tracker, but I have loaded for .44 Mag., for YEARS ... I have only used 300 gr bullets once, and did not see the EXTRA expense..
    I use 180, and 240, for everything ..... JMH experience ...

Top Bottom