does anyone on here carry a full size normally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... My biggest issue with full size 1911 carry OWB is that it's hard on the furniture...

I do IWB, but the 1911 is rough on shirts and car seats also. The mags on the other side occasionally get hooked on stuff also. :rolleyes:
    Small price to pay for a match/class proven EDC gun that can make the shots required to stop whatever the adversary may bring.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I do IWB, but the 1911 is rough on shirts and car seats also. The mags on the other side occasionally get hooked on stuff also. :rolleyes:
    Small price to pay for a match/class proven EDC gun that can make the shots required to stop whatever the adversary may bring.

What manufacturer is your 1911?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think there are times when the full size offers no practical advantage whatsoever.

Consider my P320 Compact, which easily accepts the full size slide and barrel and works great. In .40 or .357, the full size would give me exactly one more round in the mag. The longer grip is not helpful, because both the Compact and Full size are 3-finger (pinky on) grips.

So if you drop down to the Compact, you give up perhaps 50fps, a single round (or two, in 9mm), and a tiny bit of sight radius.

If I'm carrying a larger gun, it has to justify it. And the same for a smaller gun. If I'm going to give up capacity, firepower, and shootability, the darn thing better be stone-axe reliable and perhaps even cook for me in addition to being easily carried and omnipresent.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I hear what your saying and that's why I'm trying to carry the big dog. Actually, it's less about carrying the big gun for me and more about carrying the gun with the least compromise right now. I have an Ed Brown Exec Carry that carries fairly well, has the same capacity as the full size and only gives up a half inch of barrel, but I've not been shooting that one as well as I have the full size Sig and full size Remington. In fact, last time out, I shot my Kimber compact better than I did the EB, but the Kimber gives up another half inch of barrel and a round. I've got to mow this afternoon, so will probably go back to the full size Sig for that just because. I probably need to just shoot the EB more to make it my best shooter.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    The main reason I was asking this question is because I was trying to decide on which gun would be my EDC. After seeing all the reply's and carrying both for half a week each I have decided to carry my Beretta M9 as my EDC I am more accurate with my full sized pistols and I like feeling the weight and knowing that its their. As far as concealment I'm not concerned since I always 100% of the time OC.

Thank you everyone for your time and indulging my curiosity...

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The main reason I was asking this question is because I was trying to decide on which gun would be my EDC. After seeing all the reply's and carrying both for half a week each I have decided to carry my Beretta M9A2 as my EDC I am more accurate with my full sized pistols and I like feeling the weight and knowing that its their. As far as concealment I'm not concerned since I always 100% of the time OC.

It takes dedication to carry a full size pistol than you can shoot well with. A lot of people tend to lean more towards the comfy size and carry a smaller gun that's more difficult to shoot, and that includes me.

Congrats on the dedication.

Pharaoh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I carry my VP9 pretty much everywhere I go. Generally OWB, but CC 75% of the time and OC 25%. It seams to always be int he wrong spot to be comfortable. Always int he way of seatbelts, etc. I'll be looking to switch to a compact soon and most likely an IWB holster to go along with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The main reason I was asking this question is because I was trying to decide on which gun would be my EDC. After seeing all the reply's and carrying both for half a week each I have decided to carry my Beretta M9A2 as my EDC I am more accurate with my full sized pistols and I like feeling the weight and knowing that its their. As far as concealment I'm not concerned since I always 100% of the time OC.

You get extra points if you carry in a Yacqui slide at 2:30 like Walker, Texas Ranger carried his Taurus 92.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It takes dedication to carry a full size pistol than you can shoot well with. A lot of people tend to lean more towards the comfy size and carry a smaller gun that's more difficult to shoot, and that includes me.

Congrats on the dedication.

I do not shoot compacts well at all.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I carry a full size and always have. shorter barrel and smaller grip means less velocity, less punch and less to hang on to for shot placement which with the lessened velocity and impact becomes paramount. i see a subcompact as a way of getting yourself in deep trouble fast. small capacity, small gun..shaky hands, rushed shot....no thanks. ill take 16rounds, longer barrel, more forgiving.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    You get extra points if you carry in a Yacqui slide at 2:30 like Walker, Texas Ranger carried his Taurus 92.

I like the minimalist design of the Yaqui slide holster but its a friction only holster. I accualy carry a leval 2 retention holster since I do OC. I like the added security

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

Can we see a pic of this Beretta? :postpics:

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I carry a full size government model 1911 .45 since 1980....Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter...

Top Bottom