• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's funny how some bad ideas just refuse to die. This is one of them. If you are using the best ammo you can find, why would you stagger it with something less? FMJ has no business in a EDC handgun. There are plenty of good hollowpoints that will perform much better in flesh and still hold together in intermediate barriers.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It's funny how some bad ideas just refuse to die. This is one of them. If you are using the best ammo you can find, why would you stagger it with something less? FMJ has no business in a EDC handgun. There are plenty of good hollowpoints that will perform much better in flesh and still hold together in intermediate barriers.

;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Or any legitimate trainer. ;)

But you (nipprdog) said legitimate....oh... Never mind. :D

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Staggering tracers is a good way to know how much you've shot without thinking about it.

Whatever you do, it's best to keep things as simple as possible when SHTF. The more brain cells you utilize to think about other things while in the heat of the moment are just going to make you that much less focused on the task at hand.

Not counting rounds and having visual q's is a great way to free up some of your CPU cycles so you will have them later in the critical moments where you might need to devote a few more brain cells to that trigger finger, to tell it not to shoot at the wrong target in a split second.

K.I.S.S.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Staggering tracers is a good way to know how much you've shot without thinking about it.

Whatever you do, it's best to keep things as simple as possible when SHTF. The more brain cells you utilize to think about other things while in the heat of the moment are just going to make you that much less focused on the task at hand.

Not counting rounds and having visual q's is a great way to free up some of your CPU cycles so you will have them later in the critical moments where you might need to devote a few more brain cells to that trigger finger, to tell it not to shoot at the wrong target in a split second.

K.I.S.S.

Tracers aren't what the OP was talking about though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow! I never knew we had so many fortune tellers around here that they can tell exactly how every conflict is going to go down and can load their mags accordingly. 'Course seems like if we were that good, we'd see the future well enough to avoid the conflict.

For me- a trusted, premium defensive ammo top to bottom in my carry handguns.

I understand tracers in a rifle mag. I even understand alternating buckshot and slugs ( wouldn't, but I can see why). However, alternating premium defensive ammo and FMJ in a handgun magazine? Seems like we're over-thinking this thing a bit.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    For maximum defensive stopping power and accuracy I use one ammo type when carrying. I use only Federal Hydra-Shok for my carry ammo. I have fired it through my 1911s that I use for carry and I know it cycles very well in those pieces. I use cheaper FMJ target rounds for the range, but also want to be sure that the ammo I use for self-defense has no problems feeding. Before you pick a self-defense round for carry, be sure you have actually fired it through your EDC and verfied that your gun has no problems with that ammo type. :twocents:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I load my revolver with a different round in each chamber. Then I can pick what I want to shoot. For instance if I need the HEAT instead of the anti-zombie round. My favorite is the grappling hook. ;). I only carry this gun when I am wearing my open carry cape.

When I am incognito and packing my EDC, I just load it with quality hollow points.

Vert has a good point. When carrying with my utility belt, I do stagger - laser rounds, stun rounds, explosive rounds, fireworks rounds, and my favorite -- the high speed ibuprofen round for those pesky headaches.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ]

First set of tracers to help find POI, second set of tracers to help keep POI, last set of tracers to let me know mags about empty. I don't have all of my AR mags loaded this way, just the 10 that I keep in my BOB.

Just asking, if you need to know your POI how far away are you planning on holding them off?

^^^THIS^^^

While FMJ might be an OK choice in the AR for a Rifle for a handgun your better served by all JHP for personal protection by two leg preditors. If FMJ is all you have it's better than nothing but I still would only load the same type of round. We could what if but say you are in a shooting whats it going to look like if there are 2.3 or 4 different kinds of rounds getting retrieved from people and nearby objects? Just saying do what you and your Attorney can handle but a little easier to dismis when you use the same or similar rounds as a LE Agency and why aka usually a JHP of some type as far as handguns.

Now I have worked for a Department that for the rifles had FMJ loaded in the 30 round mags in the gun and SP in 20 round mags so you would know what you had or needed if you had the luck of knowing what you were getting into before hand.

As for the using tracers I wouldn't recommend it but thats just me and everyones a grown up so to each their own.

TheGlockinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    When I have the capability (multiple types of ammunition) I always stagger my magazines. I chamber a JHP (always Hornady Critical Defense) and then fill my mag in such a way that puts an FMJ round at the top of the magazine, next in line if I do have to use my firearm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do. The first two rounds in every magazine are ball ammunition, and the rest are blue Glaser rounds. This is in case I have to shoot through something solid (window, door, wood, etc.) before acquiring my target.

In my service rifle, my combat load is an alternating pattern of three green tips, followed by one tracer. Additionally, the first three rounds in every magazine are tracers.

Depending on what you are shooting through, the chance of the following rounds being put through the hole made by the FMJ are slim to none. Sure, if you are shooting through plate glass, it might work, but most everything else will go into it's own hole. I cannot shoot one hole groups on a range with no stress, so there is no way I'd ever expect to do that in an actual shooting situation.

Top Bottom