• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I saw the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener advertised on one of the hunting shows recently. It's basically a small, portable belt sander that has guides for knife sharpening. I decided to buy one and I've been very impressed with it. I've sharpened a bunch of old knives that I couldn't get an edge on. I've sharpened my axes, machetes, and a bunch of other stuff that I use around our property. I haven't seen anyone on here talking about these so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has gotten one and, if so, how they like it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd never heard of it before, personally. But I just watched their demo vid, and I like the idea. My big question is:

How long do the belts last?

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    My big question is:

How long do the belts last?

I've been using three of the belts so far. I've used the coarse one on my machetes and such to get somewhat of an edge and then finished them up with the medium belt. That has put a great edge on them for working around our property. I've used the fine belt to put a nice edge on a bunch of pocketknives and such.
    These three belts are still going strong. When I bought it, it came with five of each belt if I remember right. For $29 or something like that, I also bought free belts for the rest of my life. I'm allowed to order twelve belts a year for free. I think that will probably take care of me based on the way my first three belts have been going.
    Maybe someone else has had one for longer who can tell about the longer life-span of the belts.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am definitely interested in it. If I may ask, how hard is it to hold the blade on the sharpener without chaninging the angle slightly from pass to pass? That is my biggest problem. I am not 100% consistent on my Spyderso sharpener. It is a fine sharpener, but I am not.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I am definitely interested in it. If I may ask, how hard is it to hold the blade on the sharpener without chaninging the angle slightly from pass to pass? That is my biggest problem. I am not 100% consistent on my Spyderso sharpener. It is a fine sharpener, but I am not.
    I think it's very easy to keep the angle if you get the kit because it comes with plastic guides to help you hold everything at the right angle.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I think it's very easy to keep the angle if you get the kit because it comes with plastic guides to help you hold everything at the right angle.
    There are other sharpeners that still allow the knife angle to wiggle, is this the case with this, or is it pretty static? Thanks!

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    There are other sharpeners that still allow the knife angle to wiggle, is this the case with this, or is it pretty static? Thanks!

I can't tell that I've had any problems with keeping the knives straight on the guides. I just lay the blade along the guide and pull it straight back as the belt rotates against the blade. You might want to check their web site if you're interested because they have videos that show it in use which will probably answer your questions better than I can.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've used a demo unit at a local hardware store a few times and have really liked it. Not sure which belt is on it, but it gets my daily carry kershaw almost shaving sharp. And its not even on the finest angle setting. I plan on getting one in the future for when I just don't have time to get out the stones and need something done faster.

Top Bottom