• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    But if I am open carrying aren't I trying to attract attention? I just want to get all up into people's business! :rockwoot:

Same could be said for several things you wear...

cologne
    hat
    make-up
    clothing or lack there of :rolleyes:

Just because someone open carries does not mean they seek to gain attention for it....that's just plain silly.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    In that case make sure you shave your legs.

article-1072749-02EE217700000578-68.jpg

I knew when the op said dress in the header, someone would show a man in a dress!!! Now I have to go bleach my eyes, and scratch out the eyes of imagination. :eek::puke::lmfao::p

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I knew when the op said dress in the header, someone would show a man in a dress!!! Now I have to go bleach my eyes, and scratch out the eyes of imagination. :eek::puke::lmfao::p

I'm glad I could help!:yesway:

Regarding the OP. Yes, the way you dress does affect the perception of others. However, I have people ask me all the time if I am a cop. No matter what I wear, no matter how long my hair is or if I'm shaved. (I usually wear long shaggy hair and a full beard.) There is just a prevalent assumption that gun = cop.

I suppose, like someone else mention, how you carry yourself matters as much as the clothes you wear. I'll give an example. I was in the local Meijer late at night a few weeks ago looking for ammo. A couple of young guys came down the same isle I was on. One was OCing. They started up a conversation with me about the merits of different types of ammo. That is when I noticed the slurred speech and and smell of alcohol. The OC guy told me that 7mm can punch through three inches of armor plating. Needless to say I decided to forgo my shopping and get out of there. Those guys could have been wearing $2000 italian suits and I would have handled it the same way.

I realize that Ocing while drunk is an extreme example, but it does explain the point. If we appear confident, polite, calm (not nervous or jittery) while OCing we will avoid a lot of undo attention. People can tell if you are nervous and will become nervous themselves. Dressing well can only help.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Same could be said for several things you wear...

cologne
    hat
    make-up
    clothing or lack there of :rolleyes:

Just because someone open carries does not mean they seek to gain attention for it....that's just plain silly.

I know, I was being sarcastic. I love the "trying to attract attention" argument against open carry. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This is a good subject, and one I see two sides to.

1) You should dress up (business or business casual) when OCing. This makes you look professional and you don't scare the sheep. Most people will assume you're some kind of LEO.

2) You should dress how you always dress. You shouldn't change your appearance for the sheep, as the problem is their perception. If they see 'normal' people carrying guns, they will get used to it.

I can see the point of both sides, but with the world we live in today, I subscribe to the first idea. If I were to OC, I'd at least be in khakis and a tucked in polo, cleanly groomed, with a matching belt and holster. (holster should be proper as well, ie not some nylon deal that flops around with each step taken)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This is a good subject, and one I see two sides to.

1) You should dress up (business or business casual) when OCing. This makes you look professional and you don't scare the sheep. Most people will assume you're some kind of LEO.

2) You should dress how you always dress. You shouldn't change your appearance for the sheep, as the problem is their perception. If they see 'normal' people carrying guns, they will get used to it.

I can see the point of both sides, but with the world we live in today, I subscribe to the first idea. If I were to OC, I'd at least be in khakis and a tucked in polo, cleanly groomed, with a matching belt and holster. (holster should be proper as well, ie not some nylon deal that flops around with each step taken)

I subscribe to the second...if we must be uppity up to open carry, isn't that putting another unnecessary restriction on us?

I say..."to heck with those that want to judge me by what I'm wearing...if I'm 'ok' to carry or not."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I subscribe to the second...if we must be uppity up to open carry, isn't that putting another unnecessary restriction on us?

I don't think dressing 'up' means you have to change your personality and be 'uppity'. You are still you, just looking professional.

And I'm certainly not calling for it to be a law or mandatory, thereby making it a restriction. I just believe it is a good idea.

I say..."to heck with those that want to judge me by what I'm wearing...if I'm 'ok' to carry or not."

People judge based on appearance all the time, no matter if its wrong or right-- it happens. I agree with you that they shouldn't, but they do.

I don't have a problem with people in the #2 category, but I also think they will have a tougher time OCing, and will find themselves questioned or stopped more by LEOs, as well as raise more eyebrows from the public.

ETA:

Welcome to the 2k Post Club ATF Consumer! https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/6138-the_2000_post_club-4.html#post547487

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    That's what I meant by uppity up...professional...but what does professional have to do with anything...professional what?

Yeah, I just don't see what your clothing you wear has anything to do with your ability to properly carry and handle a firearm.

I think more people need to open carry in their everyday street cloths so we can rid this silly perception that sheep seem to have.

Oh, and thanks for the 2k welcome...:yesway:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    The old saying was clothes make the man. Forgetting the handgun for a second, how many of us are going to have the exact same thing go through our mind when a guy wearing a dress pants, shirt and tie, generally neat appearance walks by versus the same guy with perhaps old worn jeans (especially the saggy kind), wifebeater t-shirt. i don't think most of us will have the same impression. At least not from my generation.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's what I meant by uppity up...professional...but what does professional have to do with anything...professional what?

I was meaning professional as in "looking like those who carry a gun professionally". People tend to put more trust in those who carry a gun for a living (no matter if its misplaced or not. . .) than your average Joe Citizen.

Yeah, I just don't see what your clothing you wear has anything to do with your ability to properly carry and handle a firearm.

In reality it has absolutely ZIP to do with your ability to properly carry and handle a firearm-- you know this, and I know this. But again, perception being what it is, average Joe Citizen in street clothes will probably get hassled more often.

I think more people need to open carry in their everyday street cloths so we can rid this silly perception that sheep seem to have.

This is the one point where I strongly agree with the #2 folks. If we all went about our lives like we always do, with the simple addition of an openly carried firearm, then sometime, somewhere, people would start to see it as commonplace. Unfortunately this is just not the case today.

Oh, and thanks for the 2k welcome...:yesway:

You're welcome! Thanks for your contributions to INGO. :ingo:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I was meaning professional as in "looking like those who carry a gun professionally". People tend to put more trust in those who carry a gun for a living (no matter if its misplaced or not. . .) than your average Joe Citizen.

In reality it has absolutely ZIP to do with your ability to properly carry and handle a firearm-- you know this, and I know this. But again, perception being what it is, average Joe Citizen in street clothes will probably get hassled more often.

This is the one point where I strongly agree with the #2 folks. If we all went about our lives like we always do, with the simple addition of an openly carried firearm, then sometime, somewhere, people would start to see it as commonplace. Unfortunately this is just not the case today.

You're welcome! Thanks for your contributions to INGO. :ingo:

I understand that you are not disagreeing with me...only pointing out facts about the perception in which society has placed on not just handgun carry, but pretty much every aspect of life.
    I remember when those who attended church would put on their "Sunday's best"...that sure has been shot all to heck and continues to decline as time goes by.

I will continue to do my part to awake the sheep on their ill-informed thoughts on open carry. While I don't dress with ripped jeans and stains on my shirts...It is commonplace for me to just be in everyday street cloths while I open carry. :yesway:

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I would have to agree with most, it does make a difference.

That being said I have several ways I dress and have not had any problems when I OC. As a matter of fact yesterday is the first time (actually twice in one day) I was asked if I was an officer other than that I have never had any comments about my weapon. In the most of the time I wear jeans, t-shirt, and boots. When it gets hot I wear shorts. During the winter or when it is raining I wear a cowboy hat, if I am riding I wear a leather vest. Again no matter how I dress I have never been treated differently.

Doesn’t mean that the thoughts or comments aren’t there.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I'm glad I could help!:yesway:

Regarding the OP. Yes, the way you dress does affect the perception of others. However, I have people ask me all the time if I am a cop. No matter what I wear, no matter how long my hair is or if I'm shaved. (I usually wear long shaggy hair and a full beard.) There is just a prevalent assumption that gun = cop.

I suppose, like someone else mention, how you carry yourself matters as much as the clothes you wear. I'll give an example. I was in the local Meijer late at night a few weeks ago looking for ammo. A couple of young guys came down the same isle I was on. One was OCing. They started up a conversation with me about the merits of different types of ammo. That is when I noticed the slurred speech and and smell of alcohol. The OC guy told me that 7mm can punch through three inches of armor plating. Needless to say I decided to forgo my shopping and get out of there. Those guys could have been wearing $2000 italian suits and I would have handled it the same way.

I realize that Ocing while drunk is an extreme example, but it does explain the point. If we appear confident, polite, calm (not nervous or jittery) while OCing we will avoid a lot of undo attention. People can tell if you are nervous and will become nervous themselves. Dressing well can only help.

I thing the way you carry yourself matters more. You can wear whatever and still put people at ease.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The way I see it, people that have little or no concern for how they look in public are likely not winning us any favor when they OC.

...if you just finished painting the deck...
    ...if you're sporting your favorite dirty ragged camos, belly/crack exposing Nascar tshirt and best stained/frayed bubba hat...
    ...if you realy need a shower, but didn't have time...
    ...if you are exposing intimidating body art...
    ...if you only look better than 25% of the people you pass at Walmart on a hot Friday evening...

...then maybe you might consider covering up just for that time, until you can spruce up for the next time.

Like it or not, when you OC, you are representing all of us. If you look like a responsible individual, then we all do and visa versa.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    There is also a contrast in how you're perceived overseas in a combat environment (those of you that have been to Iraq/Afghan know what I mean) regarding clothing. Wearing a uniform of ACU's and an M-4 slung, or civilian clothes with nice holster and beard. The civilian clothes will allow you to get MORE done.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The way I see it, people that have little or no concern for how they look in public are likely not winning us any favor when they OC.

...if you just finished painting the deck...
    ...if you're sporting your favorite dirty ragged camos, belly/crack exposing Nascar tshirt and best stained/frayed bubba hat...
    ...if you realy need a shower, but didn't have time...
    ...if you are exposing intimidating body art...
    ...if you only look better than 25% of the people you pass at Walmart on a hot Friday evening...

...then maybe you might consider covering up just for that time, until you can spruce up for the next time.

Like it or not, when you OC, you are representing all of us. If you look like a responsible individual, then we all do and visa versa.

When I first read your post in my mind I saw "... intimidating body part." I was going to ask some serious questions about what OC experiences you have had.

While I don't totally disagree with the point you are making I think there is some misplaced worry there. Why do we not want people to know that gun owners paint their deck, have tattoos, or just generally dress down sometimes? Though rare, I sometimes make a run to the gas station in shorts, an undershirt and flip-flops while looking like I just got out of bed. (Because I did just get out of bed because I'm still stuck on blasted third shift.:noway:)

I fail to see how I am misrepresenting the general gun owning populace if I look a little unkept. I will admit that in such circumstances I do notice some increased leeriness to the presence of a pistol on my hip. However, what exactly is the message I try to send by allowing my firearm to be in plain view. Is it "all gun owners are well kept pinnacles of dernier cre? (look it up. I had to.) Or is it "I'm just like you but I choose to provide myself with the means to defend your life as well as my own"?

I will never say that it is a bad idea to look presentable while OCing. I will also never say it is detrimental to the cause to not do so.

esrice said:
    This is the one point where I strongly agree with the #2 folks.

HaHa! you said number two. :poop:

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I open carry after work and im wearing my jeans, polo shirt and brown shoes, i dont recieve half the looks that I do when im wearing my regular saturday morning jean shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes. It just shows you how strongly people judge you upon first appearance.

Top Bottom