Does INGO Have a Favorite AR Piston Driven Upper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a Sig 516 which I bought as a complete rifle, but Sig does sell just the uppers. My dad and I are each going to build a 10.5” sbr with a 516 upper when we get the time to put into it. The 516 is heavy, but a lot of that comes from the barrel profile. Only things I’ve done to mine are put in a Geissele trigger and a Lancer handguard. Trigger was okay stock, I just enjoy Geissele triggers and I’m used to a lighter than milk spec trigger. Just recently got the Lancer handguard and I like it since I wanted something longer than the quad rail that comes on it stock. Lancer is the only one who makes an aftermarket handguard for the 516 though, but at least there is an aftermarket option out there. The 516 which doesn’t seem to get much love, was designed by 2 of the people who designed the HK416 which everybody seems to have a raging boner for. I don’t have the money to spend on a 416 though so no first hand experience on the differences between the two.

I recently built two uppers with Superlative Arms piston kits. I have only put 20 rounds through each though to play with the gas settings. Only thing that makes me leery of them for a long term high round count gun is the gas blocks, one of mine in clamp on and the other is set screw. Time will tell how durable they are, but I wanted to try building my own upper.

Zero personal expierance with them, but I’ve always heard good things about LWRC. One of these days I’d like to get something from LWRC when I have the money, but that’s going to have to wait a while. Also Primary Weapons Systems has a long stroke gas piston system which I’ll eventually try when I have the funds available. I’ve heard good things about them too but no personal experience with them yet. PWS also makes a ratcheting castle nut system which I want to try on a lower sometime. Some PWS uppers don’t have a foreword assist, not sure if that’s the case with all of theirs or just some.

Just my $0.02, but those are the ones I’d look into if you have the money to spend on them. If not IMHO, don’t cheap out on a piston gun. If you have the money and want to try it though give it a shot. If you don’t like it, wait until the next presidential election and you can probably easily sell it for little to no loss in what you paid for it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll definitely be interested in hearing how you like it as their 11.5" P2 is what I have my eye on. Mind telling me where you got yours? I've seen them various places for varying prices, but they all seem to have the non-adjustable gas block.

Ran the AA yesterday. About 90 rounds. No problems at all. Accuracy was eh. MilSpec Trigger and BUIS. With my over 40 eyes I was not expecting much. I just shot 55 grain Federal AE223 so that may or may not be a good choice for the 1:7 twist barrel. I am happy with the purchase as a social gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The do run a lot cleaner when shooting suppressed. I tend to clean my guns every 500-600 rounds, but wouldn't a cleaner running gun be more reliable than one that has lots of fouling and carbon buildup, therefore increasing performance?

About 3k on my suppressed DI SBR w.o cleaning. Runs awesome.

If the problem with DI is the effort it takes to clean, then the answer isn’t pistons, it’s just to stop cleaning them! :)

-rvb

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This guy gets it.

Piston AR's are a solution to a nonexistent problem. Buy a quality DI rifle (or quality parts if you're building your own) and you won't have issues.

About 3k on my suppressed DI SBR w.o cleaning. Runs awesome.

If the problem with DI is the effort it takes to clean, then the answer isn’t pistons, it’s just to stop cleaning them! :)

-rvb

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks to those that provided me input. Before posting here, I had already read the this-vs-that threads on arfcom and other places ad nauseam. I get it. I love my DI guns. My DI guns aren't going anywhere. I like to experiment. I like to tinker.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    It’s amazing, start a thread about piston AR’s and it always ends up about how DI is superior to piston, even when the question isn’t asked.
    Anyhow, my Adams arms upper has run flawless I’ve got no complaints except they are way to pricey to by another.
    Im left handed and sometimes really appreciate a piston gun.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    It’s amazing, start a thread about piston AR’s and it always ends up about how DI is superior to piston, even when the question isn’t asked.
    Anyhow, my Adams arms upper has run flawless I’ve got no complaints except they are way to pricey to by another.
    Im left handed and sometimes really appreciate a piston gun.

Right???

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Make your own for cheap right now

https://www.stagarms.com/piston-kit-right-handed/

My stag ran flawlessly, but it suffered in accuracy as compared to my other 5.56's. I would call it combat accurate, but I shoot paper and steel and haven't had to fight commies or jihadis so it went bye bye to fund a really nice di. I'm going to get a wolf 12.5 upper eventually just because it seems to be a robust copper chucker that would be fun suppressed on a pistol or sbr lower.

Top Bottom