• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I saw this in our paper. The people didnt have their dog on a leash even though its the parks policy.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I saw this in our paper. The people didnt have their dog on a leash even though its the parks policy.

Didn't see that in the TV story. That's bad news, not having the pets on a leash. I hike there often and my dog loves going hiking with me, but she is always on a 16' retractable leash.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Ok I understand the leash deal, but dont you think it would be a good idea to have live traps. That way if something happened, it wouldnt kill something you didnt want it to. I understand the use of traps, but I have never really got the kill trap thing. Its a lot easier to live tray and not have innocent bystanders. Exspecially on public land.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I see your point and the parks. They had the traps 27ft off the road and down where nothing but wild animals they where targeting should get to. I guess kill traps might reduce the chances that a wounded animal escape and then be dangerous?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have seen many Raccoon in that park, maybe close the park for a weekend and allow us to pick off a few. Don't know if you can eat them or not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Live traps are easy to spot and folks steal them. Good ones are not cheap.

You must monitor them daily as well, the animals will stress out and rub themselves up inside (not always but often).

Killer trap (must have been a 220 coniber) is smaller, lighter, easy to hide (harder to find/steal) and..........an animal that gets in one won't be trying to hurt itself ;)

It can be checked every couple of days (less work= less cost).

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Responsible pet ownership requires the owner to have control of his animal at all times. Still, its too bad for the dog, but I wouldn't change anything. Coons are predators and it looks like that park had way too many.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    There probably aren't too many parks that don't have too many coons unless a distemper wave has just passed through. But if a low profile were important sets could be rigged dig proof and still put a good hurt on them.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Live traps are easy to spot and folks steal them. Good ones are not cheap.

You must monitor them daily as well, the animals will stress out and rub themselves up inside (not always but often).

Killer trap (must have been a 220 coniber) is smaller, lighter, easy to hide (harder to find/steal) and..........an animal that gets in one won't be trying to hurt itself ;)

It can be checked every couple of days (less work= less cost).

Why do you people who have no idea about Indiana law make untrue statements?

INDIANA law requires EVERY trap be "checked" at least once every 24 hours, so you saying the "can" be checked every two days would be breaking the law

"LEASH LAW" PERIOD!! PET OWNERS FOLLOW THE LAW JUST AS THE TRAPPER IN THIS STORY WAS AND THERE WONT BE ANY PROBLEMS!!!!

So lets see if a person allows there dog to run out in the road in front of a car and get killed, I then suppose its the cars fault the dog was in the road.
    SO going by some of you people way of thinking , its ok to let your dog run in the road???

How about we let dogs run all around the shooting range without a leash and in front of unsuspecting shooters , hmmm I guess that too would be the shooters fault because he wasn't aware a dog dashed in front of him with he squeezed the trigger.
    Guess we should start using non-leathel ammo at the range and non-leathel automobiles

Get a gripe people
    some of you sound like your right in line with a tree hugger , anti hunting , trapping , guns

Why should a trapper have to justify "what' he does with his catch?
    Do you know for a fact the every deer hunter eats his prey?
    what about fishermen??? Many fish are caught each year and left on the banks to die for no reason, what about that????

ANIMALS ARE NOT HUMANS, get over it , animals die just like all humans die , its lifes cycle

Thats the problem with outdoor people , hunters , fisherman , trappers and shooters. EVERYONE thinks their way should be the only way and what they choose to do is fine but what someone else chooses to do is wrong.

You know we should be supporting other outdoor folks and we would all be a lot stronger for it.

I will say this , I REFUSE TO ALLOW ANYONE ON THIS SITE TO SET HERE A BLAME THE TRAP OR THE TRAPPER FOR WHAT HAPPENED.
    THE article says nothing about him breaking the law , so don't try and put this in a bad light that he was.

99.9995% of all trapping related issues that happen like this are because the "OTHER" person is either trespassing or break the "LEASH LAW"

So just as we talk about not trespassing while deer hunting , coon hunting , duck hunting , rabbit hunting , turkey hunting , fishing , mushroom hunting , camping , ATV riding , 4wheel driving , shooting or hiking.
    Don't break the dam leash law and don't let your pets trespass and you pass this message on to everyone else you know and maybe you can save your little FIDEO from his certain death that he will face sooner or later anyway.
    :xmad::xmad:

You people really floor me , you talk about government regulations and politics and how they make us wear our seat belts , cant smoke here , cant carry guns there , cant shoot here on and on and on...
    BUT YOU DAM SURE WANT TO MAKE TRAPPERS USE LIVE TRAPS!!!! GET REAL Your just like those you complain about all the time

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The law you cite I think is for sport trapping.

While the trap may have been placed in fur taking season that does not mean it was done so with sport intent (did some governmental agency person place it as part of an nuisance/ erradication effort).

If they leased trapping rights to a sport trapper to remove nuisance animals during fur taking season then the law would probably apply.

If some agency was doing it, and not selling the fur, then sport trapping it would not be and as such, if the law you cite is for sport trapping only, they would not have to monitor them every day.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gotta try and think outside the box trap dude.

We don't know who placed the trap and what classification it was done under (if there are differences).

If I have a 'possum crawling undermy deck, in summer, do I have to check my 110 every day? My kid goes to ER in another far away town, but by golly I'm going to run all the way back just to check on that trap.

Because it's a matter of the LAW..................so says somebody on a forum.

Yeah right.

If traps are placed in a PARK then there might be some issue about leasing game animal taking rights or other. It would I think, be safer politically, to have a governmental agency remove the animals by trap in a declared nusiance situation. That might be the only way they were able to place traps (dunno).

If so then sport rules might not apply.

Kinda like when the DNR guy uses a silenced rifle to kill a deer and take tissue samples in the summer.

Some folks have special priviledges and go by other rules (lawfully).

A killer trap would be humane if checked outside sporting classification every couple of days (IMHO). I never had a live animal in any of my 110's (checked daily) and my buddy never had anything alive in his 110 or 220's (checked daily).

It was with that limited sporting experience, and the unknown of the park situation, I made my earlier post.

I never considered the event in question to be of a sporting nature, as it was a killer trap (220?) in a freakin' park.

I mentioned live traps, as I never met anybody taking animals for fur using those (live traps and 220's in the context of the thread I thought to be nusiance removal tools only).

Guess I gotta put a freakin' disclaimer on everything so as to avoid the rantings of the all knowing.

Last edited:

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    Straight from the DNR Website

" Traps must be checked and animals removed at least one time every 24 hours. Traps may be set at any distance from openings to tile drains or entrances to beaver or muskrat lodges. Tree climbing equipment may not be used as an aid in removing wild animals from trees. The use of motor-driven watercraft is permitted for purposes of setting or checking trap lines.T"

"Nuisance Animals
    A resident landowner or tenant may take, using legal methods, without a permit, a beaver, mink, muskrat, long-tailed weasel, red fox, gray fox, opossum, skunk, gray squirrel, fox squirrel or raccoon that is discovered damaging property. The landowner or tenant who takes the animal must release it on land in the county where it was captured only with permission of the landowner or property manager (public land) or euthanize the animal within 24 hours of capture. These nuisance animals cannot be possessed for more than 24 hours and cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted."

Easy enough rules to follow. Same rules apply as when I was trapping back in 1980 as they do today. There is no double standard set of rules for a nuisance trapper as to a sporting trapper.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That appears to be for individuals doing nuisance control.

Again, a park with a killer trap.......... sounds to me like probable agency involvement and maybe different rules.

Agency= budget= check every two days (use killer traps and not live). Not saying that's what is going on, but definitely a possibility.

BTW, the DNR site is a general overview. They even say so.

Last edited:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    That appears to be for individuals doing nuisance control.

Again, a park with a killer trap.......... sounds to me like probable agency involvement and maybe different rules.

Agency= budget= check every two days (use killer traps and not live). Not saying that's what is going on, but definitely a possibility.

BTW, the DNR site is a general overview. They even say so.

BTW if the state or some agency under nuisance control ran 220's and checked them every other day I don't have a problem with it :)

Hookeye , why are you Assuming anyone only checked these traps every 2 days? , The story doesn't say anything about it so why even bring that into this situation? just to add fuel to the fire?? there is no reason to assume this.

As a nuisance permit holder and season license trapper I can tell you that trap check for both are once every 24 hours

The trapper did absolutely nothing wrong period
    the Dog owner is at fault period regardless if it was a trap , a car or and unknown shooter

If the car had not drove down the road the dog would not have ran down into the ditch and got caught in the trap.

If you can assume it was a 2 day check I can assume it was the cars fault

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I said a killer trap might have been used to save cost in my original post.

Not knowing who set it or what rules they might go by, that still might have been a reason.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Uh, I never put fault on the trapper.

Dunno where you get that.

Somebody asked why use a killer trap? I responded with possible reasons......

that maybe a longer than 24 hr check time, due to possible budget issues (save cost) might have mandated the use of a killer trap and not other kind.

Now that a pet has been nailed, who knows what will publicly be said. The public is clueless to a lot of the real world and from the reading comprehension issues I've seen here, they should be.

Dunno what special rules some internal agency trappers might go by (if there are such people). Have heard on internal folks having allowances outsiders do not.

AFAIC the dog owner is at fault, 100%. No leash, his problem.

If it was me I'd fine the guy for it.

If I was running a nuisance animal erradication effort, on a budget, and as such did not have to go by every law a sportsman had to (if there are exceptions), I'd use killer traps and check every other day.

The DNR website, Hunting/Trapping Guide is for individual sportmen. Nobody has shown me any documentation governing internal practices or special allowances.

Does that mean they don't exist?

I dunno.

And even if they do that doesn't mean somebody will admit it, especially in today's liberal culture.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom