Dog mauls child, dog gets put.........through psych eval?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The terrorists have won, we clearly have no sense anymore.

A 6 year old Indianapolis boy underwent surgery last night after being severely injured by a dog. The dog was surrendered to Animal Control, where he will undergo a 10 day quarantine and behavioral evaluation.

https://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/6-year-old-mauled-dog

Dogs are awesome. They make fantastic companions, helpers, and provide vital services to the impaired and from the farm to the battlefield. But occasionally there are dogs who should not stay alive.

I will give one caveat: we don't know the whole story, and kids have been known to antagonize dogs. You can't expect the descendent of a wolf to take endless poking and tail-pulling. But if you own a dog that is of a more, shall we say primordial temperament, you have a responsibility to keep that dog secured and away from dangerous situations.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I wouldn't overthink it. Being a government entity, there are always hoops to go through, mostly to reduce liability. The dog will get put down.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wouldn't overthink it. Being a government entity, there are always hoops to go through, mostly to reduce liability. The dog will get put down.

I agree with you on the practical view of this. The presence of the hoops is what irritates me. How is this even a thing? Do we put the dog on a little couch and analyze his puppyhood?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with you on the practical view of this. The presence of the hoops is what irritates me. How is this even a thing? Do we put the dog on a little couch and analyze his puppyhood?

It's a thing because dog owners always believe their dog is lovable and only wants to lick people...

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I am not sure why the 10 day wait, but I know someone who got bit pretty bad by a dog they had adopted. The dog had been showing some signs of being unstable, and the owner decided it would be best to have it put down, rather than return it to the shelter and have it possibly be adopted out again. Upon calling their vet, they were told they had to wait 10 days, since the dog had bitten someone, even though it was their own dog. So they kept the dog at home for a while, but ended up boarding it at the vet until the 10 days was up, it was too hard to look at the dog every day, knowing what was to come. Sad situation, the dog had been badly abused and neglected by a previous owner, he had scars where a chain had embedded in his neck. He had it made in his new home, but was probably too traumatized from bad experience.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a couple of thought, neither of which will probably be popular.

1. We know nothing about the attack. How would you like it if your dog got put down because it bit a kid and the kid who was beating it with stick or otherwise harming it? The kid's parents didn't see the attack and of course we'll never get a story we can view as reliable from any of the kids. Perhaps evaluating the dog to see if it is aggressive isn't such a bad idea.

2. It's at least a little refreshing to see a thread where a dog is discussed in terms of being an animal....not a surrogate for all the affection and acceptance someone isn't getting from somewhere else. There, I said it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    No, its the same behavior tests they put a strays through before they decide if they are adoptable or not. It tests for aggressiveness. I don't have a problem with it, I do not mind them ensuring that putting the dog down is the right thing to do. I'm sure there have been plenty of instances that ACC has been sued by dog owners and this process just covers their butt. It is the world we live in, a litigious society.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you don't call your vet, you don't have to wait 10 days...
    Just sayin'. :dunno:

This comes to mind though; Is the wait to see if the dog displays signs of rabies?

Not sure, since the dog I know of was up to date on shots.
    When I was a kid, I got bit by a dog that had just had it's shots that day, the elderly couple next door had taken it in as a stray. We did have to wait to see if there were signs of rabies- and then the dog died the very next day after the bite! It was then sent to Purdue (actually my parents said just the head) to be tested, turned out it died of distemper. I'm sure the old couple felt terrible about the whole ordeal!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not sure, since the dog I know of was up to date on shots.
    When I was a kid, I got bit by a dog that had just had it's shots that day, the elderly couple next door had taken it in as a stray. We did have to wait to see if there were signs of rabies- and then the dog died the very next day after the bite! It was then sent to Purdue (actually my parents said just the head) to be tested, turned out it died of distemper. I'm sure the old couple felt terrible about the whole ordeal!
    If the dog is killed(or dies), they need to test the brain. The only way to know for sure.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No, its the same behavior tests they put a strays through before they decide if they are adoptable or not. It tests for aggressiveness. I don't have a problem with it, I do not mind them ensuring that putting the dog down is the right thing to do. I'm sure there have been plenty of instances that ACC has been sued by dog owners and this process just covers their butt. It is the world we live in, a litigious society.

Maybe I was being a bit purposefully obtuse with that post. In the end, though, I have to agree about cya for the lawyers. I suppose that is what is really grinding my gears here. Everybody seems more concerned with watching their backside these days than anything else. And they have every reason to do so, there is an ambulance chaser behind every corner.

Top Bottom