• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I won't pick names until I've met the dogs personality.

I agree.

Our current dog was a shelter rescue. They had named him Rowdy. We soon realized why. We are the 3rd owners (but will be his last) because of his temperament. Not destructive, but very, very energetic and playful. Had to be ready to spend time with him and to exercise this 50# springer mix. There have been some days that the 2 of use will walk 6-7 miles and he still is ready to play. Names are important. Brutus would not be right for this dog.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Bacon, Larry, but like others have said you really need to get to know the Dog. Or if you have children let them name him. We have a barn cat. Son named him Rocky he moved with us 5 different states in 3 years. He comes up to the house every a.m. to complain so now I call him ready to B####

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Dammit. Just think about it. Sit, Dammit. Down, Dammit. Roll over, Dammit. Etc. etc..
    In all reality everyone of my dogs got their name after I met them. While I had names in my head it wasn't until I met them that the name became evident.
    Dan

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had two black labs.
    Both solid black.

I named one "Spot", because she looked like a spot on the carpet when she was curled up to sleep.
    I miss spot. She was a great dog. She lived more than 15 years.

Now, among others, I have "Briquette", for much the same reason.
    When curled up, this puppy looked like a charcoal briquette.
    She is also a wonderful dog.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just don't name the dog Bob. Inevitably he'll get loose and you'll have to walk the neighborhood yelling, "Bob! Come here Bob." And people will ask if you're looking for your grandpa.

I can say this from experience.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Of my last three dogs, only one did not have a name before I got them. That was my white GSD, Pike. My brother surprised me with him as a gift.
    My last two dogs have been Vizsla'a. Tess was the last of the litter, and I kinda had the name picked out before I picked her up. Her registered name was Tess Tol Sonsteby's Kate and Roy. Her sire was Roy, dam was Kate.
    My current Vizsla, I told my breeder what I was looking for and she sent me some videos of a few puppies as they were getting their personalities. I had a name selected when I picked her up: Roy's Pheasant Storm Chayser. Her sire is Roy, her dam is Storm. Her call sign is Chayse, she gets called Chayse, Chayser, Little Butt, and snothead. The pic in my avatar is Chayse.

I do like what others have said, give it a few days after getting the pup and see what fits.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    All of my dogs kinda name themselves. Like many have already said after a few days or sooner you just kinda see the name. We have one Australian Terrier named Suzy Creamcheese (yes I'm a Frank Zappa fan). After a while they seems to adopt a second name. Currently have 5 dogs. Addy Baddy, Libby Lou, Suzy Crreamcheese, Lucy aka The Princess, and Blondie aka Licky Lou.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    My family had two Rottweilers. We named the male Sam because my brother and I were going to get an adult Rottie, but the owners decided not to sell him. A while later we got a puppy and just named Sam. My dad named the female Him after a villian on a TV show

Top Bottom