• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Seems like this guy is not a fan of dogs..at all.......not sure who to believe here! Btw Spiceland isn't even in Delaware County! Should be "Dog shooting in Spiceland!"

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the dog is far enough to use a scope the situation could have been avoided. Now if you were out on your property and a RANDOM dog (not your neighbors) was showing teeth or any other crazy acts at a close range i'd pull out my CCW and put one between his eyes. But I don't believe a lab would act like that without being provoked. Just my opinion

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Supposedly the shooter's cat was severely injured (from a dog attack) and had to be put to sleep. Vet backed up that a dog did it - but the labrador may or may not have been that dog.

If the dog owner was a bit more responsible his dog would be alive today. Dogs that run loose get into all kinds of trouble. Coyotes, pesticide, hit by cars, etc.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Warning shots in the air, isn't that sort of a negligent thing to do? Shooting a dog six times, I could understand maybe two if the first one didn't put it down, but six this guy doesn't know how to shoot. The dog was holding its ground admittedly not acting aggressive but holding its ground against someone acting aggressive so where is the justification in that? Sure the dogs shouldn't have been in his yard but if the worst they did was harass a cat why didn't he call LEO or Animal Control instead of shooting the dog 6 times for standing with his shoulders square too him at 20 feet. Does that give an officer the right to shoot me because I square off to look him in the eye and I have my LTCH?

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I feel that as a pet owner it is my responsiblity to make sure my dogs dont get into trouble, but how do you know the lab did it and not some other dog. My Lab wouldnt hurt anything, but he also doesnt roam the neighborhood.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    I say six shots was a little over board.
    But if the claim of an attack on his cat was true.
    I say he was justified in shooting the dog.
    I shot a neighbors dog for attacking my 14 year old cat in my yard.
    I shot the dog once.The neighbor had been cited because of the dog.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    He's the property owner, and had every right to defend himself against any unwanted animals in his yard.

6 shots from a .22 isn't much when putting down a 100 pound dog. Isn't this overkill argument the same argument antis use against hollow points?:dunno: I might only argue overkill here if it were 6 blasts from a shotgun.

The dog was 2 miles from home and for all the shooter knew it was a stray. I certainly don't know any dogs from more than 1/4 mile away from my house. Snowman is the shooter not justified but somehow you would have been?

Now to me a stray is easily spotted as I have seen several because apparently some people think that if you dump a dog in the country it will be magically taken care of.. and in a way it will be with a very ethical and quick death from my rifle.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    He's the property owner, and had every right to defend himself against any unwanted animals in his yard.

6 shots from a .22 isn't much when putting down a 100 pound dog. Isn't this overkill argument the same argument antis use against hollow points?:dunno: I might only argue overkill here if it were 6 blasts from a shotgun.

The dog was 2 miles from home and for all the shooter knew it was a stray. I certainly don't know any dogs from more than 1/4 mile away from my house. Snowman is the shooter not justified but somehow you would have been?

5 out of the 6 shots were determined to each have been fatal so yes I believe it to be overkill. He admits that the dog was not acting aggressively, the trainer says the dog was showing obedience. I guarantee being that they were hunting dogs they had collars and were plenty well nourished. Strays don't have colors and certainly don't look well fed, or groomed. The only strays that have ever showed up on my property were harassing livestock or scavenging the bone pile. We have had several loose dogs show up that I didn't shoot because they were either well fed or had collars. Called the neighbors let them know we had a dog and if they knew whose it was where to find it and went on about my business. There used to be a time and place in this country where people were civil to their neighbors, and in some places still are but there is a huge difference between a stray dog and a loose dog and being that the dog showed no aggression towards him he had plenty of time to figure out what was going on.

To your comment about a 22 not doing much to a 100 lbs dog I guarantee you could put him down in one shot especially when he is standing 20 feet from you not doing a darn thing but standing there. If the dogs were such a threat why didn't he kill them both? Sure am glad those 22s aren't lethal though, next time I want to take small game I better go with a smith & wes 500.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I don't understand the whole "overkill" complaint.

If the first shot would have killed the dog then why complain about the subsequent fatal shots? Does that somehow make the dog "more dead"?

If it was the property owners intent to kill a dog that he believed (reasonably or not) was agressive I would have done the same & tried to make it as quick a kill as possible.

Should the guy have killed the dog? I don't know. I wasn't there. But I find it funny that, for all the talk on here about property rights trump all & the seeming support that many show for a landowner to use deadly force against a human for simply trespassing, so many would complain that a person would dare kill an unknown potentially dangerous dog that is on his property.

I think the situation could have been handled better because I don't think we should be in the habit of killing anything willy-nilly but the dogs owner should bear the largest responsibility in the death of his dog.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I don't understand the whole "overkill" complaint.

If the first shot would have killed the dog then why complain about the subsequent fatal shots? Does that somehow make the dog "more dead"?

If it was the property owners intent to kill a dog that he believed (reasonably or not) was agressive I would have done the same & tried to make it as quick a kill as possible.

Should the guy have killed the dog? I don't know. I wasn't there. But I find it funny that, for all the talk on here about property rights trump all & the seeming support that many show for a landowner to use deadly force against a human for simply trespassing, so many would complain that a person would dare kill an unknown potentially dangerous dog that is on his property.

I think the situation could have been handled better because I don't think we should be in the habit of killing anything willy-nilly but the dogs owner should bear the largest responsibility in the death of his dog.

In my eyes there is a difference between defense and overkill. If the intent was simply defense I am most certain that one possibly two shots to the head would have been more than sufficient and the dog would have been on the ground quite possibly in convulsions from the immediate interruption of nerve control since the control center would be gone. The following 4 shots seems like cruelty, when shooting any animal your aim should be to kill it quickly, cleanly, and respectfully not seeing if you can turn it to swiss cheese. Rabid dog or pet, deer or squirrel, coyote or wolf, if it has to be shot it should be done right or not at all. This dog didn't come after him so he had the time to make the shot count and there is no way to debate that because he had time to go in his house get the gun come back out and fire a warning shot before he killed the dog. We will never know the full story and whether it was or was not justified I gave my :twocents: and it is simply that. If you still disagree with my opinion on the shoot that is fine it is your right to your opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom