• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Anyone out there own one of these dogs? I'm thinking of getting one and would love to talk to someone who actually owns one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks too much like a pit bull, you'll catch hell for even thinking about it on this forum. They're all loaded guns with the safety off just waiting to snap and rip your throat out.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I don't personally own one, but a close friend has had several and they are amazing. The history of the breed is a very interesting story, as well as first hand accounts of owners. Id prepare yourself to spend some money on training, but they are really incredible animals.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I do not own one, but I am curious why you are considering this breed.

I've researched this for many years - I've felt for a long time that our lifestyle wouldn't be fair to a dog. Now our lifestyle has changed. There are certain things I want in a dog - intelligence, trainability, size are all important to me. Also a dog that is athletic, but not one that needs to work all day long, like a German Shepard or a Border Collie. I also like a dog with an imposing appearance. I've always loved the way the Pit Bull type dogs look, but they're not known for their easy trainability. I don't prefer dogs who are "everyone's" dog, like a lab.

My second choice is a shepadoodle - a Shepard/Standard Poodle mix, which surprisingly shares many of the temperament traits with the Dogo. I prefer the Dogo's appearance, however.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Seems some Breeds and look alike are not that welcome in some countys in Co.
    Denver Area Breed Bans

Yes, I can't take him to several cities in my State. Only one city mentions Dogos by name, but Denver's and others ban has a wide provision about looking like a pit bull, kind of like an assault weapons ban. Dogos were bred to not be people-aggressive. You have to work with them to keep them from being dog aggressive, but that's true of many breeds.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Myself. I have always owned working dogs. With what you are looking for maybe a Chesapeake would fill the need. They are loyal, super smart, easy to teach, protective of the family when needed and easily approachable by the public to get petted.
    All dogs can sometimes be a loose cannon, but to stack the odds that bad behavior is more prevalent in certain Breeds, no way...... I would never put a Bully Breed in my home.
    And I would never understand anyone that wants one or has one in their home. I understand that the majority of Bully dogs will never be a problem. But when it is a problem, its ugly really F'ing fast. And with that it's to late.
    JMHO

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have never owned one, but they look amazing. Isn't there one on Pit Boss? I like the very short fur and pit bull appearance...I'm not big on dog grooming, i like low-maintenance fur. I talked to a lady who owns one a while back and she loves hers. We do have a pit, have had him for over 11 yrs. He was a handful when younger, but other than being highly energetic and ornery, i didn't find him hard to train basic obedience or housebreak. When it comes to bully breeds (which some consider the Dogo to be), good breeding and a confident, responsible, dog-experienced owner go a long way.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    TITAN's Story...

TITAN is a 4-5 year-old Dogo Argentino. He is sweet, playful guy that get excited and loves to "pick fleas" off of his people. Titan is deaf, but that doesn't stop him from being the life of the party. He is learning hand signals and has the cutest little squeaky whine - which if he could hear, would know that would need wor!. Titan gets along best with other female dogs. He is fixated on cats, so probably best not to go there. Titan is crate trained, neutered and up to date on vaccinations. Adoption fee $250. For more information or an adoption application, please email dancingdogrescue@earthlink.net.

Looks like kitty & doggie parks and neighborhood walks might not be a good idea. :dunno:
    :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: all clear mommy, there's no kitty around.....
    Oh... Dam.....dam.... Well now there's no kittys around.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Keep in mind that Dogos are not a "pit bull" especially since "pit bull" isn't a breed at all, but rather a term used by the ignorant and lazy to label a wide variety of animals. Dogos are not violent by nature and their lineage was crafted very carefully and cautiously. A pure dogo is very expensive for a reason. The are incredible animals and with a huge variety of incredible traits, and if those specific traits is what you want, then they are the perfect specimen and nothing else will fill its spot. They have incredible power, speed and tenacity. Loyal to death, literally and the perfect companion for children and guardians of the homestead. They won't be as easy to train as a Golden Retriever but if you put forth the effort, they are exceptional animals. Downside is that they are more prevalent to deafness, though Ive always trained all my dogs with hand signals and had great success. I would suggest not shopping based on price, which is always a challenge. Buy from a known, respected and reviewed breeder and it will likely be the best decision you ever make. I am extraordinarily jealous that you are Dogo shopping and I am not.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    TITAN's Story...

TITAN is a 4-5 year-old Dogo Argentino. He is sweet, playful guy that get excited and loves to "pick fleas" off of his people. Titan is deaf, but that doesn't stop him from being the life of the party. He is learning hand signals and has the cutest little squeaky whine - which if he could hear, would know that would need wor!. Titan gets along best with other female dogs. He is fixated on cats, so probably best not to go there. Titan is crate trained, neutered and up to date on vaccinations. Adoption fee $250. For more information or an adoption application, please email dancingdogrescue@earthlink.net.

Looks like kitty & doggie parks and neighborhood walks might not be a good idea. :dunno:
    :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: all clear mommy, there's no kitty around.....
    Oh... Dam.....dam.... Well now there's no kittys around.

Dog parks aren't really a good idea for a lot of dogs, for a number of reasons. Cats...meh. I kid! I kid!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Keep in mind that Dogos are not a "pit bull" especially since "pit bull" isn't a breed at all, but rather a term used by the ignorant and lazy to label a wide variety of animals. Dogos are not violent by nature and their lineage was crafted very carefully and cautiously. A pure dogo is very expensive for a reason. The are incredible animals and with a huge variety of incredible traits, and if those specific traits is what you want, then they are the perfect specimen and nothing else will fill its spot. They have incredible power, speed and tenacity. Loyal to death, literally and the perfect companion for children and guardians of the homestead. They won't be as easy to train as a Golden Retriever but if you put forth the effort, they are exceptional animals. Downside is that they are more prevalent to deafness, though Ive always trained all my dogs with hand signals and had great success. I would suggest not shopping based on price, which is always a challenge. Buy from a known, respected and reviewed breeder and it will likely be the best decision you ever make. I am extraordinarily jealous that you are Dogo shopping and I am not.

I'm not a great dog trainer, but i know enough to get by. i always train with both hand and voice signals. I'd take a deaf dog, but my husband doesn't want to. We have several Australian Cattle Dogs and they are prone to deafness, too. They are also very smart, but more prone to nipping than pit bulls!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Keep in mind that Dogos are not a "pit bull" especially since "pit bull" isn't a breed at all, but rather a term used by the ignorant and lazy to label a wide variety of animals.

To me, Pit Bull is just a shortened version of "American Pit Bull Terrier", which is a recognized breed (I've had several). It's not lazy or ignorant to call your Labrador Retriever a "Lab", or to call your Australian Shepard an "Aussie".

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Pit bull is definitely shorthand, I did use it out of laziness. Like "assault weapon" it's an inexact term. By it, people mean the American Pit Bull Terrier (the only proper use for the term) the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Sometimes people even include the Bull Terrier. All of them possess similar traits, though the APBT is the largest and most aggressive, the AST the next, and the SBT and BT bringing up the rear. A correctly bred AST is supposed to have all the good qualities of the APBT, though with all people aggressiveness bred out of them, like the Dogo is supposed to have.

The Dogo's only relationship to a pit bull type dog is that the Bull Terrier makes up one small portion of it's lineage. About ten different dogs went into the creation of the breed. He looks pit bullish because of the cropped ears and the square face and big chest he gets from the mastiff lines.

So there. :)

Top Bottom