• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I don't know if its legal or not but probably not a good idea unless you have him on a short leash. I had a friend use a leash that was a little long and the dog .....well he decided to jump out of the back as the truck was moving at about 30 mph. It wasn't pretty.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    I used to let me dogs ride in the back of my truck, but then one day one of them fell out so i've stopped doing that.

Don't know if it is legal or now, i don't think seat belt laws apply to animals.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I won't ever let my dog(s) ride like that. My brother's dog left the front window of a yukon at about 30 mph and we are lucky he's still a friend. Too many bad things can come out of it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No state law that I know of. Local ordinances may vary. However, all cargo must be properly restrained, and you are responsible for anything that is ejected (or jumps) from your vehicle.

IC 9-21-8-48
    Vehicles with contents escaping; prohibition from operation; exceptions
    Sec. 48. A vehicle, except:
    (1) a vehicle containing poultry or livestock being transported to market; or
    (2) a highway maintenance vehicle engaged in spreading sand or deicing chemicals;
    may not be driven or moved on a highway if the vehicle's contents are dripping, sifting, leaking, or otherwise escaping from the vehicle.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.79-1991, SEC.4.

The best solution I've seen is a eye-bolt in the center of the bed with a clip on the dog's harness (not leash). Several Jeep guys use something similar to keep the dog safe in a roll-over.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For safety reasons my dog rides in the front seat and wears a seat belt.
    My wife goes on the back (with a leach of course, safety first!).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This doesn't bother me as much as seeing kids back there. I am seeing that more often than I used to, just not smart.

Some of my fondest memories as a child was riding thru town in the back of my dads truck.

If it's thu town, I say go for it. Keep the dog on a leash of course, and driving slow.

Anywhere else, heck no.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Good grief, let em ride back there! My dog loves it.
    Yep, let 'em ride... My dog hates it in the cab of my truck, she spins in the seat trying to get comfy and never stops. I put the tailgate down and she comes running and jumps in. No lease, I dont want her to hang herself if she would ever fall/jump out. She has ridden back there since she was born and has never jumped or fell out. If we get into an accident and she doesnt make it, well, atleast she died doing something that she loved. Hope this never happens. Hell, she just got hit by a truck a few weeks ago and I tried putting her in the cab to take her to the vet and ended up putting her in the bed cuz she wouldnt sit still. If my tailgate is down, shes in the bed.. a couple of times the tailgate wasnt down and she still jumped in.

Top Bottom