• Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    ykwL67c.jpg

I saw the same thing in Walmart for $5. These are $1 at the dollar store. They do work. When the bottom half fills with water, toss it out.
    I was surprised an insulated indoor safe could have moisture in it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be careful; the high salt content can make it quite dangerous to eat these kinds of things for any length of time.

I'm very confused by this response. First, this is a survival & disaster preparedness forum, not a race forum. In disaster situations, I don't think many of us are planning on a lot of racing. Second, you contradicted yourself in a single sentence: you said that you haven't been tested and that testing shows you lose over 1000 mg of sodium per hour.

Still, I'm going to hold that people need to be careful re: sodium when preparing for disaster situations. To get 2000 calories per day out of Chef Boyardee Ravioli a person would need more than 8 servings, which contains more than 6,000 mg of sodium. Vienna sausages are even worse, at over 7,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories. Ramen noodles can be over 9,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories.

Recommended dietary maximum is only 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Getting 2.5 times the recommended maximum every once in a while isn't good, but it probably won't kill you. If that's the kind of food you plan to eat every day for a four-week emergency period, though, there's a real chance you will cause permanent damage in that time.

:dunno:

[video=youtube;1lpH06ely7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpH06ely7E[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not going to take the time to watch that, and I'm not going to get into further discussion on this.

Listen to whoever you want, and do whatever you think is right for you.

Why thank you! I'm doing just that.

That is why I added my :twocents:.
    Possibly others reading may not be so close minded on the subject and appreciate the information? :dunno:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    So I went into the dollar store today and the place looks like it had been ransacked....They must not have anyone working to stock the shelves because many aisles were just trashed. They've had halloween decorations in boxes on the floor in aisles for 2 weeks.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Personally I would check WalMart first just because something are cheaper there but I don't know what's in your area. Dollar stores are a good place to look for preps just for the simple fact some people think they're too "good" to shop there. Personally, if I need it, I don't care where I buy it from as long as it works and I'm not over paying for it.

Top Bottom