• ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    how does he stay in business?

Chicago.

No, he advertises. Honestly, it's that simple. None of his competitors hold a candle to the amount of exposure he receives. And unless a first time buyer (which I assume make up most of his sales) knows someone to hand hold them through the buying a firearm process, Don's is just about the only place people think of.
    I had a friend who lived in Castleton, who asked me about buying a firearm. He told me that DROVE all the way to Don's to get an idea of what he wanted. I asked him, "uhhhh, why didn't you go to Gander Mountain." His response? "Where's that?" :n00b:

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Every story I heard or read about Don's was confirmed within 5 minutes of being there. I left soon afterwards, as my Spider senses started tingling.

My advice, if you are going there for laughs, do not walk in without your LTCH and be armed.

Maybe my impression of Don's was wrong, but I doubt it.

Speedgelb986S

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Can't remember when but several years ago, he had a TV ad showing how "good a citizen I am" by burning either SKS's or AK "his term Assault guns" on a bonfire. At that time I determined I would never go into his business and that I would dissuade anyone I could from buying anything from him. I wouldn't buy a Colt Gold Cup from him if he offered it for $10.

That was in 1992 or 1993, outside his old 96th Street location. After the bonfire, he buried the "AK's" and erected a plaque over the spot where they were buried. I've often wondered whether he ever dug them up when that location closed, or if they are still buried there...

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    its a good place to go and look around because he ususally has about everthing but i would never buy from him where he gets his business in the name and commercials from the people that dont shop around to realize what a reasonible price is

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Every story I heard or read about Don's was confirmed within 5 minutes of being there. I left soon afterwards, as my Spider senses started tingling.

My advice, if you are going there for laughs, do not walk in without your LTCH and be armed.

Maybe my impression of Don's was wrong, but I doubt it.

Kind of ironic how everybody badmouths Don's but claim they went to his store for a look just before posting their opinion here. Not everyone through the door is a buyer but something drew you to his store. Good advertising? Morbid curiosity? Greed of finding a pricing error on a Glock? Don's is a prime example of the free enterprise system at work. I dislike some retailers and just avoid them and purchase elsewhere. You have to remember Don has had that location on Lafayette Rd for years. The neighborhood has gone way down in the time and I would not feel safe comming and going there either.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Kind of ironic how everybody badmouths Don's but claim they went to his store for a look just before posting their opinion here. Not everyone through the door is a buyer but something drew you to his store. Good advertising? Morbid curiosity? Greed of finding a pricing error on a Glock? Don's is a prime example of the free enterprise system at work. I dislike some retailers and just avoid them and purchase elsewhere. You have to remember Don has had that location on Lafayette Rd for years. The neighborhood has gone way down in the time and I would not feel safe comming and going there either.

All of this.

hzwj67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    hendricks county
    Don's does seem over priced, but it apparetnly fulfiils a need, or it wouldn't still be in business. Used the range a few times, only indoor range close enough to me. Little dark, but staff treated me well. I guess if you don't like it ,don't go. I wouldn't say I am recommending it either, but well, It's a gun shop, and that's a good thing.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Don's does seem over priced, but it apparetnly fulfiils a need, or it wouldn't still be in business.

Yeah I have feeling the need he fills isn't exactly legit. I can't accuse him of anything, I have no proof. But I do know the kind of people that will pay way over retail are the kind of people that have to pay way over retail because they can't go into legit gun stores and purchase firearms. Like I said I can not specifically accuse Don's of anything shady, but hey if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it may not be a swan but actually a duck.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah I have feeling the need he fills isn't exactly legit. I can't accuse him of anything, I have no proof. But I do know the kind of people that will pay way over retail are the kind of people that have to pay way over retail because they can't go into legit gun stores and purchase firearms. Like I said I can not specifically accuse Don's of anything shady, but hey if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it may not be a swan but actually a duck.

Bingo. this!

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Don's is way overpriced, but he is in business because he actually advertises, so people who have NO IDEA about guns and want to get one will go there cuz they have no idea where else to go, they dont do research on anything. The other reason, and this is speculation, is that his store gets broken into way too often, and the burglars always make off with a crap load of guns according to the news, so i think he gets insurance money a few times a year as well! HA! no but really don's sucks. I wouldnt want to even drive around that area anyways.

Speedgelb986S

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I frequent the range there. It's much closer to me than Pop Guns, there are always lanes available, and it's cheaper to boot. And it helps that I know I won't have any temptations to buy anything while I'm there, since everything is so overpriced! :)

Top Bottom