• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The bill it was attached to should be evaluated on its own merit, just like this piece of legislation should be considered on its own merit.

They tried to hook the two together, thinking that it was almost guarantee a pass.

They were wrong.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't understand what the big fuss is over. Why does anyone have to ask? Its not like it's tough to pick them out!!!

1084460_ba70_625x1000.jpg

YouTube - Japan Maritime Self Defense Force "Dance"

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    To destroy a country... first remove the fighting force. Even easier if the current form of governing body destroys it for you. I can't wait until those corrupt losers are voted out!!!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Saturday Night Live:

I'm in the Army and I'm gay!
    That don't mean I swish and sway!
    Don't go down on any-one!
    Uncle Sam is the only one!

I served with lots of gay soldiers BEFORE don't ask don't tell. Everyone knew it, nobody cared as long as they pulled their weight.

Big freakin' deal.

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    I don't have a problem with gays in the military the same as I don't have a problem with women in combat. I also don't have a problem with Afgan nationals fighting along side of me in the heat of battle. But all three situations present potential problems with being able to accomplish a mission.

I understand why some people feel uncomfortable having gays in the military. I do not however support harrasment or intimidation of gays women or Afgan nationals or Arabs or Muslims. I have gay friends, women friends, and Muslim friends.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't see the big deal either, you would always know that your gay buddy has your back :D

Just to be clear. The above was a joke. I know that attempts at humor can be quite confusing to some, especially mine for some reason.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Would it require different living situations? The same as women have currently? Just asking...And if not, then why do they currently do this practice with women?

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I knew a few soldiers I was deployed with were gay. It wasn't a big deal. They weren't closet and no one, not even command cared. It didn't cause any problems. The only time it became a problem was when a couple of them where caught in the guard tower going at it. The act of having sex was only an issue because they had "abandoned" their post. If they'd been caught off duty I don't think anything would have been done about it.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    When I was in the Marine Corps, we didn't have "don't ask, don't tell". Homosexuality was an offense that usually got the individual a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable Discharge. Now, I'm not a gay basher. I really don't care who you have sex with. However, I will say that homosexuality doesn't seem to be compatible with military service. I look at homosexuality as just another one of the conditions that bar an individual from military service. The military has certain standards for entry. If you are too young or too old, you can't join the military. If you don't meet certain physical standards, you can't join the military. If you don't meet certain educational standards, you can't join the military. I see homosexuality in the same light. Everybody doesn't have a "right" to join the military. If you're gay and you want to join the military, then you should keep it hidden, like when I was in. This may seem "intolerant", but I don't believe the military is the place for social experiments.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The military has certain standards for entry. If you are too young or too old, you can't join the military. If you don't meet certain physical standards, you can't join the military. If you don't meet certain educational standards, you can't join the military.

But you can provide a rational reason why a man with 30% body fat lacks the physical ability to perform his duty. What rational reason can you provide for why a gay person can't perform their duty? "It makes me uncomfortable," isn't a rational answer.

If there was a rule against it in your day, then doesn't that mean you were likely already serving with gay men, and just didn't know it except when they got caught?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Harry Reid had to know that it would likely not pass. However, pass or not, he and his cronies who voted for it can now say that they tried in hopes that their efforts will impress the gays and lesbians and get them a few more votes in November. Some people will do anything to stay in office. If Harry Reid thought that it would help his campaign efforts, he would probably French kiss Barney Frank on the floor of Congress.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I personally knew of more than one gay male soldier in every unit to which I was assigned in my 11 years of service. I knew of many, many lesbians.

The only ones I saw prosecuted were the ones who got caught having sex.

I never saw any incidents where people were afraid to take showers, or where morale suffered, or where there were any of the issues we hear might happen.

I do wonder about the practical repercussions of legalizing openness.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I personally knew of more than one gay male soldier in every unit to which I was assigned in my 11 years of service. I knew of many, many lesbians.

The only ones I saw prosecuted were the ones who got caught having sex.

I never saw any incidents where people were afraid to take showers, or where morale suffered, or where there were any of the issues we hear might happen.

I do wonder about the practical repercussions of legalizing openness.

I think the key fact in gays in the military so far is: kept it hidden. In the past, peer pressure and the military culture kept the conduct out of the open (I never saw any evidence of it when I was on Active Duty in the 70s) because it wasn't a major part of the mainstream culture. Now, I fear that if the current restrictions are lifted, overt homosexual conduct will become more common and will be protected (if only by officially ignoring it) by the same pc pressure that causes the policy to change.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    But you can provide a rational reason why a man with 30% body fat lacks the physical ability to perform his duty. What rational reason can you provide for why a gay person can't perform their duty? "It makes me uncomfortable," isn't a rational answer.

If there was a rule against it in your day, then doesn't that mean you were likely already serving with gay men, and just didn't know it except when they got caught?

Yes, there were gays serving when I was in the Marine Corps(1985-1989). And yes, we had a pretty good idea who they were. However, they did not openly advertise it.

This is just another attempt by the homosexual lobby to try and get "special" rights, not just equal rights.

BTW, back when I was in, adultery was a crime under the UCMJ, as well. And I know of guys that got charged with adultery. The reason adultery was a crime was because it had an adverse affect on troop morale. The military is not the civilian world. If you want to have social experiments, conduct them in the civilian world.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    BTW, back when I was in, adultery was a crime under the UCMJ, as well. And I know of guys that got charged with adultery. The reason adultery was a crime was because it had an adverse affect on troop morale. The military is not the civilian world. If you want to have social experiments, conduct them in the civilian world.

I don't have much problem with the military holding the troops to a higher standard of conduct anymore than holding the troops to a higher standard of fitness.

I understand the issue less well now. What is the social experiment? I mean, I assume that the only difference is whether or not the soldier gets a dishonorable discharge for being who they are. From what all the vets are saying, you already knew who the gay soldiers were, and they are already serving.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Yes, there were gays serving when I was in the Marine Corps(1985-1989). And yes, we had a pretty good idea who they were. However, they did not openly advertise it.

This is just another attempt by the homosexual lobby to try and get "special" rights, not just equal rights.

How is this a "special" right?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Homosexuals have been pushing to be recognized in the same manner that race is recognized. Since I believe that sexual preference is a choice, it is not the same as race. The issue with "don't ask, don't tell" is just another part of the overall agenda of the homosexual lobby. Plus, the current military rules just basically tell you to keep your sexual preferences to yourself. I really don't see where that is a problem. This goes for heterosexual troops as well.

Top Bottom