• ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Does it matter?

Nope. Not to me. I know this is still less than your typical daily carry setup. So I understand where you might feel defensive. :-)
    Really though, I'm happy if he's happy. This is one of those threads where I think about unsubscribing every time it pops up in my user cp.

I am still a little curious about the IR chem lights.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nope. Not to me. I know this is still less than your typical daily carry setup. So I understand where you might feel defensive. :-)
    Really though, I'm happy if he's happy. This is one of those threads where I think about unsubscribing every time it pops up in my user cp.

I am still a little curious about the IR chem lights.

Man, you ruined it. You were supposed to come back with a defensive one-liner question, then I was going to say, "Do you care?"

That could have lasted a while, but you just had to ruin it. Hmph.

Re: the IR chem light - maybe it's for designating targets when the Little Birds and Blackhawks are coming and using the NV.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Man, you ruined it. You were supposed to come back with a defensive one-liner question, then I was going to say, "Do you care?"

That could have lasted a while, but you just had to ruin it. Hmph.

Re: the IR chem light - maybe it's for designating targets when the Little Birds and Blackhawks are coming and using the NV.

If he has aerial support it makes sense. I'm not that operator-ish. So I hadn't considered that. I assumed he didn't have NVGs because he didn't list them. His list is pretty thorough. I can't imagine he'd fail to mention a toy that cool.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If he has aerial support it makes sense. I'm not that operator-ish. So I hadn't considered that. I assumed he didn't have NVGs because he didn't list them. His list is pretty thorough. I can't imagine he'd fail to mention a toy that cool.

Well, keep in mind he doesn't need to see the target identifier, just the guys in the helos/choppers/rotary-winged aircraft who will bring the ensuing doom and destruction on his foes.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I sometimes get a chuckle out of young guys who get over enthusiastic and carry heavier than needed loads. Then again, I also get nostalgic wishing I still had the capability to hump all that crap.

I was 42 on my last deployment, and still managed to hump a pretty good load. Didn't even use any sort of LBE, or vest, everything was right on my body armor. My unit issues us double the standard 210 round load, so we had 14 mags instead of 7. A lot of guys (even younger guys) only went out with their basic load, leaving the "extras" in the truck. I went to the PX and got some big ass Spec Ops ammo pouches that hold 6 mags each. I had 1 in the gun, 1 on the stock in an issued pouch, and 12 on my armor. Yeah, I had the heaviest load in the plt, but I was the strongest guy, so it never mattered. Only needed that much one time, but I was glad as hell I had it. Older, fatter, and cripple, I have a chest rig with only 6 mags now, that I'll probably never need. Every day I carry a full size 1911, two spare mags, a surefire flashlight, knife, and other crap in my pocket. Even in my weakened state, I never learned to travel light...

as evidence by my growing belly. (Working on it)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I sometimes get a chuckle out of young guys who get over enthusiastic and carry heavier than needed loads. Then again, I also get nostalgic wishing I still had the capability to hump all that crap.

I was 42 on my last deployment, and still managed to hump a pretty good load. Didn't even use any sort of LBE, or vest, everything was right on my body armor. My unit issues us double the standard 210 round load, so we had 14 mags instead of 7. A lot of guys (even younger guys) only went out with their basic load, leaving the "extras" in the truck. I went to the PX and got some big ass Spec Ops ammo pouches that hold 6 mags each. I had 1 in the gun, 1 on the stock in an issued pouch, and 12 on my armor. Yeah, I had the heaviest load in the plt, but I was the strongest guy, so it never mattered. Only needed that much one time, but I was glad as hell I had it. Older, fatter, and cripple, I have a chest rig with only 6 mags now, that I'll probably never need. Every day I carry a full size 1911, two spare mags, a surefire flashlight, knife, and other crap in my pocket. Even in my weakened state, I never learned to travel light...

as evidence by my growing belly. (Working on it)

LOL, I hear you. Back in my day, we begged for extra ammo & mags and never got it. We had the basic loadout of 1 in gun 6 on vest. Didn't have armor back then. These days, my rig has 9 mags on it plus 1 in gun, mostly because of insecurities I developed when I only had 7 mags total.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as picking on the guys gear goes, yeah I get it because it's that juvenile kind of fun we shouldn't admit that we laugh at. At the same time, I'm sure it's a young inexperienced kid who'd benefit from some time with experienced people. I completely agree that at least the guy or gal is trying something. Most people only play dress up with their toys and getting them to go out and hike it a little is not even a consideration.

I'm not saying I'd be a millionaire, but if I had a nickel for every time I offered to go hiking with someone to help them see how all their gear handles after a mile or two I'd probably be able to knock out a few lunches and fill up the truck with gas. 99% of the people out there with this kind of gear will never use it hard or under stress. 99% of the people out there have this kind of gear as a security blanket to make them feel better. The people I've met and know who will use their equipment like it's intended are very few and far between.

I don't really care about the gear even though it's fun to play with. I'm more impressed when I find a person who will take me up on it when I offer to go hike a few miles starting at 8:30pm and see how much they like to carry all their stuff. It doesn't take long before people will change everything and purge their excess gear.

Top Bottom