• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    You know when in school they would say "drugs are bad" and the like? At the time, we may think that its lame, or that "only squares don't do drugs" or something. How little did we know of what our teachers were trying to prevent. Today we buried (cremated actually) someone from my grade school class. He was only three months older than me (I'm only 25), and left behind three kids. It wasn't suicide, but an accidental overdose, an hour after he decided he wanted to go to rehab. Right after he said he wanted to change for his kids.

My grade school was a Catholic K-8 school, and was somewhat small. My class consisted of only around 25 kids, most of whom had attended this specific school since kindergarten. I knew him for most of my childhood, even though I would not really say he was a friend. Heck, last time I saw him was almost a decade ago. He, as well as a few others in that clique, would laugh at the D.A.R.E. pledges and stuff. It was but a joke, but yet here we are at his funeral at such a young age.

Not many people showed up. Not even his good friends from that time. As dark as it may be, I can't really say that I'm entirely surprised that he was the first of our class to go, just based on the life he lived, even back in jr. high. How little did we know that the adults that came in with the silly "don't do drugs" bracelets were speaking the truth. How little did he know that he would be the first to go, and that only I, not even one of his friends at the time, would be the only one of our class to see his hearse drive off.

I hope his family finds peace, for no parent should bury their child. I hope Spencer is with The Father now. For the sake levity, Drugs are Bad, Mkay.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry for your loss, my friend.

I wonder if he didnt want one final dance before leaving the dance hall permanently?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Sorry for your loss, my friend.

I wonder if he didnt want one final dance before leaving the dance hall permanently?
    I appreciate it. Like I said, can't say I was close, but it's wierd that someone that I grew up with in grade school, during the best days of my life, is gone. The mass was held at the same parish as the school. Not to continue on with the poetic nonsense, but all school year every kid looked forward to the half day and subsequent end of the year mass that marked the beginning of summer. That mass would have taken place a month earlier from today, but at the time of the mass on a perfect sunny day like today. As his casket rolled past, it was the last time he would leave that church after literally hundreds of times throughout the school year.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My condolences to his family and friends. Since my wife and I lost our daughter at 26, we have been involved in charities that raise money for awareness of Fentanyl poisoning. A couple of weeks ago we volunteered for the Poker Run.....our job was picking up all the signs with faces of Fentanyl after the riders leave each stop. They say things like "Michelle, forever 26". I had never seen one under 15 or 16........last week I seen several under 16 and one in particular was 12, just a baby really.

I have said it before, as much as I hate it, we will all probably be impacted by this stuff before it ever ends, if it ever ends. It is only growing in use, even with all the awareness out there. The thing is, when we were kids....there were not drugs that frequently killed you....unless you were a junkie. Now days, 1/2 of 1 pill........can and will kill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    he thing is, when we were kids....there were not drugs that frequently killed you....unless you were a junkie.
    That's true. I had a pretty ill-spent youth. If I could smoke, drink, swallow it or snort it, I'd do it. Surprised (and damned lucky) that nothing ever killed me. Now we've lost both of DoggyMama's daughters to ODs. First one to laced "spice", and the second to opiates (not sure if laced or not).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You know when in school they would say "drugs are bad" and the like? At the time, we may think that its lame, or that "only squares don't do drugs" or something. How little did we know of what our teachers were trying to prevent. Today we buried (cremated actually) someone from my grade school class. He was only three months older than me (I'm only 25), and left behind three kids. It wasn't suicide, but an accidental overdose, an hour after he decided he wanted to go to rehab. Right after he said he wanted to change for his kids.

My grade school was a Catholic K-8 school, and was somewhat small. My class consisted of only around 25 kids, most of whom had attended this specific school since kindergarten. I knew him for most of my childhood, even though I would not really say he was a friend. Heck, last time I saw him was almost a decade ago. He, as well as a few others in that clique, would laugh at the D.A.R.E. pledges and stuff. It was but a joke, but yet here we are at his funeral at such a young age.

Not many people showed up. Not even his good friends from that time. As dark as it may be, I can't really say that I'm entirely surprised that he was the first of our class to go, just based on the life he lived, even back in jr. high. How little did we know that the adults that came in with the silly "don't do drugs" bracelets were speaking the truth. How little did he know that he would be the first to go, and that only I, not even one of his friends at the time, would be the only one of our class to see his hearse drive off.

I hope his family finds peace, for no parent should bury their child. I hope Spencer is with The Father now. For the sake levity, Drugs are Bad, Mkay.
    Sorry to hear that Zurok.

It's difficult to get people to listen.
    You can only do so much.

Maybe trips to rehab centers or prisons might help.
    maybe not.

You can give people information and try to protect them, but at a certain point... they make their own decisions.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I feel for you, I don't believe that I know any family that hasn't been touched by this.
    I'm a month shy of 65, graduated in 76 with about 300 other kids.
    our HS had a 97% college attendancy rate then, I'm long past having a count of dead friends I grew up with that died from one drug or another.
    My bestist friend is now in his 4th court ordered rehab for alcohol in West Virginia, I don't expect him to be here for Christmas.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Unfortunately ODs are more common than they should be once someone says they are ready for rehab. They feel the need for that one last bang before they put themselves in rehab and it is fatal. If anyone close is having this issue and says they are ready for a life change, stay with them until they are signed in at the rehab center. Don’t let them have one last go. Put a guard on them all night to be sure they don’t sneak out on you.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Sorry for your loss.

I’ve lost quite a few classmates in recent years, and it always feels weird to hear the news, even if you weren’t very close to them in school. I’m closing in on 60 years old, and have done my fair share of things I shouldn’t have been doing, still drink more than I should, but man, when I was in school, and even running with some questionable friends at times, I never knew anyone that did anything more than weed or pills, maybe a few snorted coke.

Nowadays, I think heroin is cheaper than weed.

Top Bottom