Don't Get Suckered Into Upgrading To A 5G Phone...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Verizon 4g in a metal roofed building, I just got 130d/7.89u. 5g is probably going ot be much faster, your phone say s5g but is it really.

No, my phone is not 5G compatible. It's supposedly optimized for advanced LTE networks. It was a state of the art flagship a couple years ago.

I'm sitting in a metal pole barn, put the phone in a window sill for that last speedtest. I'm ten-ish miles away from any noticeable sized town.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    Lot of right and wrong in here. I've been in the cell tower industry for 15 years and will share some insight.

5G is NOT everywhere. It is in very high traffic areas. And for some outlying areas that have had poor/no service in the past.
    The 5G network is dependent on density as well as depth of wavelength.

T-Mobile has the most spectrum for 4G and 5G. They have also been overhauling all their cell sites. From power plant to tower top. This for the security of their equipment to the 5G rollout and for future expansion. Their power consumption is expected to triple once true nationwide 5G is achieved.

ATT has 2 or 3 bands of 5G spectrum but mostly offering 5G-E which is like an "express" or "economy" version of 5G. Basically 4G enhanced. ATT also uses the same 700Mhz(withing the same band) for the FirstNet network for first responders. This is isolated from consumer use and only used by first responders.

Verizon has the most stable network(call continuity, tower handoffs, etc) and does have a lot of 5G depth(2 to 3 bands) but like the others, have very little 5G coverage right now. They are spending a butt ton of money to rebuild all their cell sites from bottom to top to accommodate 5G and future expansion.

Sprint was bought by T-Mobile mostly in part for the biggest bang in their portfolio which is their small cell network. You see these mostly on top of utility poles or on top of street lamps. That helps to create the network density needed for 5G. Their base network was sub par to be nice about it.

ATT and Verizon are and have been ramping up plans to build out more small cell through the next 3 years to help build the density. They are also rearranging their spectrum layout for what will work on what band. Mostly data is 4G and 5G, voice and pic/video messaging on 3G and basic text messaging on 2G.

Oh, and T-Mobile supposedly still holds a contract with a state agency(unsure if Illinois or Indiana) for home monitoring bracelets.

All in all, I wouldnt buy a 5G phone for the 5G or you would be let down. Give the carriers 2 to 3 more years to have beefed up the coverage.

If you're an Apple junkie and want the 12 since it has the Apple chipset in it, go for it!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So is the article wrong? There is no significant 5G in Indy area that I know of. Those speeds are from the LTE network with a faster phone? I read somewhere that it will take 5 more years to build out the network.

My buddy was at my house 2 weeks ago, new Samsung 5G phone, he was getting a 5G signal here at my home and 5G speeds, we compared my older S7 speeds to his and my phone speed was like riding in a buckboard wagon being pulled by a 3 legged donkey.

Forgot to mention it's Verizon.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I can't wait to see the power outages in CA as everyone tries to go 5G and also charge their cars off the same grid that can't handle a hot days air conditioning load.

I can't wait to see the Green Deal proponents have to decide whether or not we, as a nation, should be supporting something that will have major power demands. Maybe the phone companies can plant some trees and do a carbon exchange...

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    I can use up my prepaid phones data, faster. great.

I can't wait to see the power outages in CA as everyone tries to go 5G and also charge their cars off the same grid that can't handle a hot days air conditioning load.

nice. at first, I misunderstood the "charge their cars". :)

So does this new fangled 5G mean I gotta get a new flip-phone? :dunno:

I am considering upgrading my last flip phone today. sad.

Top Bottom