• ...and so much more!
  • JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    So I dont need to hear how dumb I am for considering this about this but,

I want to buy my girlfriend a carry weapon.(not the dumb part) Were both in college and soon to graduate in the next year or so. I'm thinking about options and ideally I would get a subcompact 9. However, those are a wee bit out of my price range until graduation.

I want to buy a weapon that is small and light that she can cut her teeth on and get comfortable walking around Indianapolis with. I also want a weapon that has cheap ammo that she can get plenty of range time with. We've gone the 380 route and the ammo is too expensive to get quality range time in. Ive been thinking of a p22 that we can spend all day running face drills for $20 on ammo.

I know the .22lr is a last resort bug but Id like to hear some honest opinions and not some, "glock .45 or she aint a real woman." I know its not ideal but .22lr is better than her 2 year old pepper spray.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, a .22 is better than nothing! Not my first recommendation, but still better than nothing. The p22 is a nice shooter and should do fine.
    I have had mine for many years now and have shot the hell out of it. Still going strong.

My only advice is for the first few hundred rounds splurge a tad and run some CCI MiniMags ammo through it for a "break in". I like the 40 grain. After that it should be good to go for the cheap stuff. Mine eats the Federal bulk pack all day long. If it will be carried I would also load her up with the CCI ammo as well. Just my :twocents:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My biggest issues with .22LR isn't necessarily its lethality, but more so it's reliability when coupled with semi-auto. Even the best .22 handguns out there are going to fail to feed, fail to extract, or missfire on a lot more common basis than any of their centerfire counterparts.

IMO - 22 handguns should be kept strictly for range duty.

I understand money is an issue... but there are more effective options out there for whatever price range you are looking at.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will also add that I think there are some good points to the .22 lr.

Very mild recoil so follow up shots are much easier. In a defensive situation shot placement is very important. The cheap ammo price allows for plenty of trigger time and this is good for the shooter to build accuracy and confidence.

My main concern with the .22 lr for a carry weapon is the fact that rimfire ammo generally is not as reliable as centerfire ammo. With that being the case, I would be sure to include clearing malfunctions as part of the training process whether you encounter them or not while at the range. Stage them, make them a surprise, and practice clearing FTF, and FTE issues.

The 10 rounds of .22 in the Walther p22 can be used for defense if need be and I for one would not volunteer to be on the receiving end of it. "Little .22" or not! ;)

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    One advantage the 22 lr. has over the 25/32 cal pocket guns is that you can afford to practice a lot more. More repetitive muscle movements during practice shooting, reloading and clearing malfunctions will result in a much higher level of performance under stress.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you are looking at a P22, there are a few small 9mms that would fit your budget as well. If defensive use is your goal, I wouldnt worry so much about the caliber, but the reliability. I do not own a P22, but a friend of mine does, and at least every mag or so will have a hangup, good ammo or not. Rimfire semi-autos are just not the most reliable choice out there. I would look into the Kel tec PF-9, Rugers LC9, or maybe even consider a small frame revolver. If the pistol you choose isnt reliable, you will probably find yourself not carrying it as you intend,

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    you guys rock. thanks for the advice. my thoughts were, more range time=better results under stress/comfortability with the weapon everyday but if the rim fire is so problematic as you guys say, doesnt really help pay off in the end if she cant dump the mag when necessary to over compensate the .22lr low velocity.

My plan was to just run drills of her unloading it at close range at vitals. If the weapon wont cycle through a whole mag then I'm not comfortable with it in her hands.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firstly,
    if you get a gun that you can't practice with (for whatever reason; cost/physical ability/etc.) it won't be practiced with. Practice is where proficiency comes from.
    Relying on a .22 for defense, although not optimal, is still better than a baseball bat.

Secondly,
    it doesn't matter what the caliber is...
    when you're on the business end, the muzzles all look this big;

black_circle.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    That doesn't look all that big on my iPhone.

As far as the P22 the biggest thing you can do to keep it reliable is keep it clean.
    Even if you don't shoot it, clean the lint and gunk out of it.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I would have her look at the Beretta 21a, or the Taurus model 22. They are pretty much the same gun, very small 7 shot pistols. They are double action for the first shot, and have a external saftey if you feel you need it, they have a tip up barrel so there is is no slide racking to chamber the first round, or to unload them, and they are very small. Thay can live in just about any pocket without any one noticing,and certainly in a lady's purse. They do not like junk ammo! CCI mini mags are the best ammo anyway.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I dont need to hear how dumb I am for considering this about this but,

I want to buy my girlfriend a carry weapon.(not the dumb part) Were both in college and soon to graduate in the next year or so. I'm thinking about options and ideally I would get a subcompact 9. However, those are a wee bit out of my price range until graduation.

I want to buy a weapon that is small and light that she can cut her teeth on and get comfortable walking around Indianapolis with. I also want a weapon that has cheap ammo that she can get plenty of range time with. We've gone the 380 route and the ammo is too expensive to get quality range time in. Ive been thinking of a p22 that we can spend all day running face drills for $20 on ammo.

I know the .22lr is a last resort bug but Id like to hear some honest opinions and not some, "glock .45 or she aint a real woman." I know its not ideal but .22lr is better than her 2 year old pepper spray.

Here is a thought...spend some range time with a .22 for her.....once she is comfortable, have her try a .380.....you might be surprised. But the biggest problem is moving someone into a gun too fast that they are fearful of handling. she might surpirse you and like a .380 better.

I love shooting .22lr's...they are cheap and easy and fun. But I agree, they tend to miss feed, jam, and not fire. Even the expensive .22's do that.

Now, a small revolver in .22 wouldn't have the feed and jamming issues.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    That doesn't look all that big on my iPhone.

As far as the P22 the biggest thing you can do to keep it reliable is keep it clean.
    Even if you don't shoot it, clean the lint and gunk out of it.

this is the same with my sig mosquito. good ammunition and clean gun, i have not run into any failures. however after about 200-300 rounds it tends to get pretty dirty and start failing to eject properly. after a good cleaning, another 200-300 rounds. i am 100% confident i could take it out today and shoot 100 rounds with no problems whatsoever. i know the .22lr is not a big bullet, but being able to put 10 rounds quickly in the same spot does count for something. i keep mine loaded with cci hollow points at home and if it is the closest to me between that, the ar and the 9mm, i would have no issue grabbing and using it in a home defense situation.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The P22 goes for around $300. You can find a .380 for around that same price. Why not go with that? Theyd be more reliable for a Defensive Carry pistol.

And for a little more money, you can easily find a good used 9mm.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Evan, the best gun is the gun you have on you when you need it most.

While I can't say that I have any experience with a P22 (although I've considered one for a plinker myself) I have a buddy that carries one of these as he's able to. Due to his unfortunate work circumstances (works in NY, residency and LTCH from IN) he carries it when he's home visiting.

He may not carry that exact one, NAA has several that are similar, in .22LR and .22Mag.

Just a suggestion. Also a suggestion: Fix the grammatical error in your "location."

Top Bottom