• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have been carrying a Ruger sp101 in a pocket holster. I make my own holsters and this particular one covers the gun completely except for the rubber grip. I will leave the pistol in the holster for a week or more at a time and not even see the gun until I think it's time to blow the lint out or maybe I just feel like coonfingering my own gun.

I keep this gun in my pocket all day, no matter if I am going out or not. There are two times in the day when it's not in my pocket, while I am sleeping and when I am in the shower. At those times I put it on a shelf with the rest of my pocket stuff- wallet, keys, phone, knife. This shelf is four feet from where I sleep and I generally sleep pretty lightly. I would think that I would wake before a family member was able to fool with my stuff. When the dog quietly looks in on me at night I usually am aware of it

As I said I handle the gun often but I may not actually SEE it for a week. Well...... This morning (about 1:30 AM) I feel like Actually LOOKING at my gun, to blow out some dirt and shake out the holster. Hmmmmm, THERE ARE NO SHELLS IN THIS GUN!!!! I am missing five .357 shells. There are six shells in a speed strip in my wallet. There are two loaded speed loaders here on the shelf where they have been for months on end, but my gun is EMPTY and there is no sign of the missing shells.

I have just realized that I have been carrying an empty gun for potentially up to a week and my blood ran COLD. I am not gun dependent. My gun is just one of several things that I keep in my pockets. I don't think about "ooh I am packing heat! everybody watch out!" I don't rely on the fact that I have a gun and behave differently than if I didn't have one. Nevertheless when I realized that 1- I have been packing an empty gun and 2- One of three adults in my household went behind me and did this.... on purpose.... My blood drained and chills ran up and down.

I am sitting here looking at my wife sleeping (it's 2:30 am now) trying to resist the urge to roll her off the bed. I won't do that..... After all it could of been one of my two grown sons that did this. I am presuming it happened while I was in the shower. I don't know why they did this but it could only of been three people.

Now someone could say that I should NEVER leave a loaded gun lying around. True. But damn this is my HOME. Do I have to shower with it? Am I to lock it in the safe at night while I am sleeping? I sure hope I don't need it on short notice in the middle of the night! My wife is fifty, my sons are twenty nine and thirty. Still, guess what? I CAN'T LEAVE A WEAPON UNATTENDED. There are knives in the kitchen, there is electric in the sockets. The keys to the car are right here. With all that danger all around somebody wants me to know that I shouldn't keep a loaded gun IN MY OWN HOME. Wow.

Ok..... I thought that I could Blow off a rant and I would cool down a little. Nope, I am just getting hotter. Wow..... Sorry, thanks for listening...... I don't feel better....... Wow.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    OK, so on one hand, I agree with you. I would NEVER mess with someone else's gun- even if I live with them- unless I have their permission. That's just good manners. A loaded gun is a gun, and unloaded gun (especially a revolver) is a club for the first 5-15 seconds. I live alone, but I generally keep at least one gun loaded, and generally my CZ is either loaded or with a full mag nearby.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    When was the last time you cleaned it? Is it possible you forgot to reload it? :dunno:

I also have a wife and two grown kids in the house. If it were me, after an initial cooling down and trying to get past the shock, I'd probably suspect myself, before I would suspect my family. In any event, I would reload it and then check it each time I picked it up. If it happened again, I'd have a family meeting.

Just my :twocents:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I think what we can take from this is to always, always check to see if a firearm is loaded each and every time you pick it up.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I have an 18 year old son...i wouldn't trust him not to touch my guns.

At that age they want what you have when it comes to cool stuff like that.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    When was the last time you cleaned it? Is it possible you forgot to reload it? :dunno:

I also have a wife and two grown kids in the house. If it were me, after an initial cooling down and trying to get past the shock, I'd probably suspect myself, before I would suspect my family. In any event, I would reload it and then check it each time I picked it up. If it happened again, I'd have a family meeting.

Just my :twocents:
    This. Unless you've had Rahm Emanuel over for dinner recently?

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    The first thing I do before going out the door in the morning is check to make sure there is one in the chamber or a full cylinder depending on what I am carrying. I have 2 teenage boys so when it is not on me it is either in the safe or at bedtime in my bureau unloaded with either mag or speedloader nearby.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Keanu Reeves in the movie Street Kings (I know, crazy reference) got me doing that. In the very beginning of the movie when he wakes up, he drops his mag to make sure it still loaded and press checks to make sure a round is in the chamber, then puts his mag back and with a relieved look goes about his day. Whenever i grab my carry gun i always check the mag and check the chamber. I know its loaded, but you never know, ya know? :)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The first thing I do before going out the door in the morning is check to make sure there is one in the chamber or a full cylinder depending on what I am carrying. I have 2 teenage boys so when it is not on me it is either in the safe or at bedtime in my bureau unloaded with either mag or speedloader nearby.

You keep your self defense weapon unloaded? :dunno:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If I may make a suggestion? Gallon-sized zip lock baggie and your revolver in the shower with you from now on. (I'd also check the darned thing occasionally to see if the shells have evaporated.)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If I may make a suggestion? Gallon-sized zip lock baggie and your revolver in the shower with you from now on. (I'd also check the darned thing occasionally to see if the shells have evaporated.)

P1270182.jpg

Cookie+Shower+Gun.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    It's not like I couldn't forget to reload my gun. The problem with that is the bullets would be lying around right here where I play with my guns. I grilled my wife and she disavows any knowledge of those events. Since menopause has hit she has gone stone crazy, but in this instance she is very convincing. In longer than 30 years she has NEVER messed with my guns (she does hate them)

I will see the boys tonight. They would fool with a gun in a second and that has been ok with me, I have given them several guns already. ("Hey pop, let me Take that gun out to shoot"..... Then I never see the gun again!) My problem Isn't With touching a gun without permission, it's about leaving it different than they found it and not telling me about it. If I had found the whole gun missing altogether I wouldn't be surprised and would of got another one out and loaded it. As far as giving them their "Whippins" goes, if I could do that then I wouldn't need a gun..... I would be such a bad-ass that I could insert all my bullets manually.

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Always check the gun chamber check and mag check every time you pick it up.Just be glad you did not need to use it and then found out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom