• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    One thing you will need is people and a secure location. I f you live in a city (I currently do for now) the roving bands of the have nots will soon overpower you and your family and take your stuff ASAP.
    It will take more than 2 or 3 people with ARs to repel the group of 20 gathered in your front yard wanting your stuff. And if they don’t get it they may just set your house on fire
    I’m looking to get out of the city in the next year or 2. But then I’m the outsider city boy who bought the old fill in the name farm and I think there may be some resentment there as well

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Man, coming up with all these defense plans against the guy who snipes me from 200 yards while I leave the bunker to pee is just so tiring and stressful.
    That's why I don't worry about this nonsense. Doomsayers have been wailing about societal collapse long before internet forums existed. Preparedness for short term upheaval is one thing, but I often wonder where people are going to get their prescription meds to go along with their racks of MREs and crates of ammo.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That's why I don't worry about this nonsense. Doomsayers have been wailing about societal collapse long before internet forums existed. Preparedness for short term upheaval is one thing, but I often wonder where people are going to get their prescription meds to go along with their racks of MREs and crates of ammo.
    I'm not talking doomsday and stacks of MREs.

If covid should have taught folks anything, it's how fragile the supply chain is. If you take prescriptions on a daily basis (I don't), you should have a 45-90 day supply on hand.

If you couldn't get groceries for a few weeks, would you be OK? As someone posted in another thread, they can't find their favorite kind of nuts. So when you find it, stock up.

But then I’m the outsider city boy who bought the old fill in the name farm and I think there may be some resentment there as well
    That has not been my experience, but please leave the city in the city!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not talking doomsday and stacks of MREs.

If covid should have taught folks anything, it's how fragile the supply chain is. If you take prescriptions on a daily basis (I don't), you should have a 45-90 day supply on hand.

If you couldn't get groceries for a few weeks, would you be OK? As someone posted in another thread, they can't find their favorite kind of nuts. So when you find it, stock up.
    Nothing unreasonable about any of this. But this thread is predicated on the need for 2 years of food storage. Literally doomsday. The supply chain ain't that fragile. The worse thing that happened to me during Covid is having to use Dollar General toilet paper for a bit.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Nothing unreasonable about any of this. But this thread is predicated on the need for 2 years of food storage. Literally doomsday. The supply chain ain't that fragile. The worse thing that happened to me during Covid is having to use Dollar General toilet paper for a bit.
    We have always had a supply of TP on hand. Never understood people that buy a 4-pack at a time and no more.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have always had a supply of TP on hand. Never understood people that buy a 4-pack at a time and no more.
    Depends on where you are and where you're from. The Europeans and Chinese we met in our travels barely keep any inventory (food or otherwise) in their house. They depend on getting to the market (usually by walking) every day to get what they need that day. They buy the ingredients for today's dinner, go home, and make it. And tomorrow they will do the same. Any interruption in the supply chain would have drastic effects in a system like that, but their chain is more local than ours.

Case in point - SIL was in China for a missions trip out in the country. She needed underwear since her luggage got mixed up. She walked to the local market, saw what was good and inexpensive and bought enough for the two weeks she was there - about 20 pairs. The proprietors called in all the surrounding merchants to see the gweilo who bought so much underwear. They only got one pair at a time as what they had became unusable. No inventory kept at their house.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Depends on where you are and where you're from. The Europeans and Chinese we met in our travels barely keep any inventory (food or otherwise) in their house. They depend on getting to the market (usually by walking) every day to get what they need that day. They buy the ingredients for today's dinner, go home, and make it. And tomorrow they will do the same. Any interruption in the supply chain would have drastic effects in a system like that, but their chain is more local than ours.

Case in point - SIL was in China for a missions trip out in the country. She needed underwear since her luggage got mixed up. She walked to the local market, saw what was good and inexpensive and bought enough for the two weeks she was there - about 20 pairs. The proprietors called in all the surrounding merchants to see the gweilo who bought so much underwear. They only got one pair at a time as what they had became unusable. No inventory kept at their house.
    Heh, gweilo. White ghost or white devil.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

But this isn't china. We don't go to the local market for food. What people do half a world away, from a completely different culture is really not relevant to the conversation about here and now.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    But this isn't china. We don't go to the local market for food. What people do half a world away, from a completely different culture is really not relevant to the conversation about here and now.
    Sure it is. A good number of people here live like that - just-in-time, get it when you need it, we don't need to keep extras or prepare. We know urban people who buy Funions and Coke for breakfast at the local convenience store on their way to school, usually because there's nothing in their house to eat. All of them will be looking to fill empty bellies by any means necessary during A Failure of Civility. Desperate people do desperate things. This is not news to any of you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So if you do find a person selling what you need, how are you going to pay for it? Paper currency will be worthless. 9mm 115gr FMJ? Pretty valuable. Do you trade away your safety for a little sustenance? Will they come back later and use your ammo against you to reclaim what they sold you earlier?

We've been looking at small denomination 90% silver US coins. Maybe that will buy us into something we want/need or buy our way out of a situation.

Like the OG says "Luck favors the prepared".

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    But then I’m the outsider city boy who bought the old fill in the name farm and I think there may be some resentment there as well
    Not saying it doesn’t happen, but show respect to the people and the land, don’t bring the city lights out with you and show your new neighbors that you are like minded as far as privacy and rights and they’ll probably accept you, welcome you even.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Not saying it doesn’t happen, but show respect to the people and the land, don’t bring the city lights out with you and show your new neighbors that you are like minded as far as privacy and rights and they’ll probably accept you, welcome you even.
    Hey. At least I’m not from California…..lol
    No really though I shoulda been born in the woods somewhere.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Agreed, and remember, don’t bring the city lights, or sound. Keep the thugs in the hood, where they are with like kind.

Top Bottom