• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Recently we had a door to door salesman come through our neighborhood selling steaks from Steak House Steaks. They have an office in Louisville, KY. The sales guy told me that these steaks are Omaha Steaks and that they are the same steaks that are used in restaurants. I told him that I was not interested and the proceeded to come down in price. I was not interested and he left.
    I later find out that one of my neighbors purchased a case of these steaks. After a day she tried one of the steaks and said that it tasted horrible. She asked me to come over to look at them. I opened one of the steaks up and it just didn't look right and felt very slick.
    My neighbor said that she has been talking to the company about getting her money back but they keep blowing her off. She has asked me for help. I have contacted the Floyd County Health Department and they are telling me that it is illegal for anyone to sell frozen meats without a permit and that my neighbor should contact the Indiana Attorney General's office and file a complaint. Has anyone else every had this kind of problem?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Buying foodstuffs that way always struck me as a bad idea, especially truly perishables.
    Those guys stop in my neighborhood once in a while, but they are never the same people or trucks. I've never (pardon the pun) "bitten" on their sales pitch, but some want to argue when I decline.(as if that would change my mind).
    I just always figured those guys were hawking some dumpster diving prizes from behind grocery stores or restaurants. I can rarely afford steaks, anyhow. :dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I buy my "steaks" still alive from somebody I know, and I pay somebody I know to turn them into the kind of steaks that go in your freezer... Much cheaper that way and much better quality.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I buy my "steaks" still alive from somebody I know, and I pay somebody I know to turn them into the kind of steaks that go in your freezer... Much cheaper that way and much better quality.

^^^This^^^
    We might even buy our beef from the same people, my source is up that way. All the door to door meat salesmen I've seen look very suspicious. Wouldn't by anything from them.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've had similar things happen to me. The thing that struck me the most was how he carried the steaks (sealed in plastic) right up to the door and flopped them on the porch during his pitch. All I could think of is "How many porches have these things been laying on today?" Something about buying meat from an unsolicited truck just doesn't feel right.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Yep. All of our beef is from local small farmers raising a steer and we split it with another couple and my mom. All of our venison is from our own kills :D

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    I have never had one of these guys stop by ,but reading some of the posts here ,I think I would pass on someone going door to door selling meat . Steak doesnt always mean cow .

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't buy anything from door to door sales from a person I don't know, let alone anything I am going to eat.

Is your neighbor elderly? If they are going to want help after the fact on such a purchase, I'd tell them to check with you first next time as it sounds like you are willing to help them out. Seems like it would be a lot easier.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    We had a guy come around selling steaks during the summer. He was driving a piece of crap pick up truck with a gas generator and a chest freezer in the bed. I passed. He may have been a legit guy with good product but it just didn't feel right.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    We had one of these people come to the office I work at a couple years back. I politely declined but one of my coworkers purchased a large amount. A couple days later she came in and said the steaks were horrible and she ended up feeding the meat to her dogs. No way I would buy food from a door to door salesman.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So far, every door to door salesperson that came to my house looked at the pistol on my hip and their response has typically been "Oh, I see that you're busy right now perhaps I should leave".:rockwoot:

Top Bottom