• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I know a couple of 20-22 year old guys who have made $100,000 + every year the last 3 years, this year they will probably make closer to $200K with as busy as we have all been. They don't mind banging doors and honestly, the more pissed people get the better for them....they consider it entertainment to an otherwise boring job. They are always telling me stories and laughing about people getting angry/ They are friends of mine and competitors in roofing, but I have never cold called, never will....nor will I hire canvassers to intrude on people. I find it rude myself, but they sure make some good money. I guess it just depends on the person.

I use to talk to the Mormon kids as well. I found them interesting, although I didn't believe what they were selling me, we had some good conversations. They are nice young men, dedicated to what they do, willing to help you do anything around your home....and if nothing else, I respect them for that. They use to tell me though that the highlight of their day was when people got angry at them, not only was it funny to them, but it gave them another soul to pray for. It sounded like they hear it from a lot of people, they said they got cussed out frequently. Sure takes a special kind of person.

I went to look at a job one day and pulled in the drive...I had barely exited my truck and an 80 year old lady met me in the drive with her pistol in her hand asking me who I was and what I wanted. I was kind of trippin because she was old and had her finger on the trigger and she was shaky as a dog chittin peach seeds. I told her I was there to look at her roof and she started cussing me out and saying she don't need no estimate, she didnt call me, I am a scammer...blah blah blah, then the lady across the street yells for me and says I was on wrong side of road she was the one needing estimate. I was glad she seen me, that old bag just may have shot me. I didn't find it funny at all, almost soiled myself.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Personally, I make exceptions for neighborhood kids selling stuff for fundraisers and for Girl Scout cookies. MmmmmMMmmm

I don't recall having any Trail's End Boy Scout popcorn being solicited at our house. We don't buy that any way. Probably should, though, with as much as I enjoyed Scouting when I was younger.

Now - get off my lawn.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Door to door salesman don't bother me, but boy, my dogs absolutely hate it when someone disturbs us at home. Our pit/border collie is very cranky, and standing silently behind her is our 100 lb shepherd....... uninvited visitors don't hang around long.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Door to door salesman don't bother me, but boy, my dogs absolutely hate it when someone disturbs us at home. Our pit/border collie is very cranky, and standing silently behind her is our 100 lb shepherd....... uninvited visitors don't hang around long.

I owned a black chow at one time, she wasn't very big, only about 75 pounds. One afternoon I was sitting in the living room with the front door open but had the metal storm door latched. Some solicitor came up and knocked and I told him no thanks, words back and forth rapidly turned to belligerence on his part. When he attempted to open the door I simply called the chow by her name and she came unglued on that door. I honestly believe the belligerent solicitor soiled himself that day!!!:rockwoot:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I look at it a different way… Usually it is some underpaid person that at least is trying to work.

Or its a scam. Or a scouting for later crime.

For those in Marion Co, soliciting door to door is a crime (infraction, you aren't arrested for it but can be given a ticket). Especially if someone looks sketchy, don't hesitate to call the PD to have them ID'd and sent on their way.

I once saw them working the other side of the street so I sat on my front porch sharpening an ax. Oddly they skipped my house.:dunno:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I once saw them working the other side of the street so I sat on my front porch sharpening an ax. Oddly they skipped my house.:dunno:

the-shining.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I owned a black chow at one time, she wasn't very big, only about 75 pounds. One afternoon I was sitting in the living room with the front door open but had the metal storm door latched. Some solicitor came up and knocked and I told him no thanks, words back and forth rapidly turned to belligerence on his part. When he attempted to open the door I simply called the chow by her name and she came unglued on that door. I honestly believe the belligerent solicitor soiled himself that day!!!:rockwoot:

Wow. Belligerent and attempted to enter. That wouldn't end well.

Zeus (pictured below) answered the door the same way he greeted the vacuum cleaner.
    24798_104426846262497_7151738_n.jpg

And if I gave him the command "Devil Dog" while he was laying down, he would smile
    24798_104427142929134_4488379_n.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So...

What about Jehovah's Witness type's ability to STAY gone?

Thoughts?

I still seem to come home to sh@# in my front door from time to time.

-Nate

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Or its a scam. Or a scouting for later crime.

For those in Marion Co, soliciting door to door is a crime (infraction, you aren't arrested for it but can be given a ticket). Especially if someone looks sketchy, don't hesitate to call the PD to have them ID'd and sent on their way.

That is what really concerns me. How many people are actually trying to sell legal goods or services by knocking on strangers' doors? How many of them are really just doing reconnaissance for theft, burglary, or home invasions?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    That is what really concerns me. How many people are actually trying to sell legal goods or services by knocking on strangers' doors? How many of them are really just doing reconnaissance for theft, burglary, or home invasions?

My guess would be some, but not many. Based on all the posts in this thread about dealing with these door to door sales people, surely there would be a lot of accompanying follow up stories about thefts/home invasions that occurred too ?:dunno:

Maybe my neighborhood is an anomaly, but it is usually kids that show up. They ring the door bell, and get off my porch quickly and stand on my walk until I answer. It is always some "we are in your area helping some your neighbors, and...". I'm more worried about identity theft than scouting for a crime, though.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Had a kid come by a few years back. He was carrying a laminated paper with magazine titles and prices on it. I knew I wasn't interested but listened for a bit. He said he was trying to make money so he could travel to other countries and learn new languages. You know, places like England. I laughed at him, said he was not welcome and he shouldn't be here what with the no solicitors sign. He claimed my uncle sent him... which was even funnier as I have no uncles who know where I live. I asked for the uncle's name and the kid decided to move along.

Called the neighbor to warn him then called the local police to give a description of the kid and what took place. All I remember now is the fancy neck tat he had going. That would have been nice in a line-up.

Top Bottom