Double Barrel Sexiness good for home defense your thoughts ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    A short double with two loads of the low recoil buckshot would be my first choice for home defense personally. But it's just me an the wife at home now, in the country, and the walls need paint anyway.

YHJ

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like them, but see no compelling reason to use one for home defense given how many reliable low cost pumps are out there. Guarding the still or your banjo, then double barrel all day.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anything you can reliably use and easily handle makes a good tool if you need use more force than a fist. I always thought SxS guns were a lot of fun.

BTW nice old Halicrafters radio. I had the one built after that one. I enjoyed it as long as the room was chilly. All those tubes would really heat up the area.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SxS's are sweet and extremely intimidating. Practice mediating the limitation of 2 rounds by loading snap caps. Look for a YouTube of a fella named Duece Stevens to see how. They can be faster than a pump in the right hands.

ol' poke

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ;) The short overall length and light weight of the coach gun make it faster and easier than most other long guns to negotiate doors, halls and other tight spaces in the home.
    CameraZOOM-20130309134106946_zpsf90ebc67.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I personally prefer to have more than two shots, but there's nothing wrong with a good double for HD. A buddy in WA state tried hard to get his wife to operate a pump gun effectively, but no luck. She consistently short stroked it, causing misdeeds and clicks instead of bangs. He works at a pawn shop part time and a 20 ga O/U with ejectors and a single trigger came in cheap. He took it home an d lopped the barrels off. Put a big fiber optic tube sight on it and loaded it with buckshot and a but stock shots shell carrier. She can get off two shots super quick and reload and fire two more much quickly than she could have fired four shots with a pump gun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Looks like a nice gun. I wouldn't mind having a coach gun but I can say that about a lot of guns. If you intend to use this for HD then you have to ask yourself what plan B is. Reloading doesn't really seem likely in that kind of situation but everyone's opinions are different. Get a reliable semi-auto handgun with good capacity. Put it in a holster on an old milsurp web belt and hang it on the headboard. Then when you get up to grab your double-barrel, sling that web belt around you first. Then go for it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Coach gun with low recoil buck is the primary house gun around here. Usually a handgun or two within reach, but if things go south in a hurry, I am going to start off as strong as I can. If the first two dont clear the hole, there is a stock sleeve full of 3" Mag OO buck that should do the trick. The handgun is just to fill the void left by reloading the double...

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ;) The short overall length and light weight of the coach gun make it faster and easier than most other long guns to negotiate doors, halls and other tight spaces in the home.
    CameraZOOM-20130309134106946_zpsf90ebc67.jpg
    That's the type of shell holder I am looking for ! Love the leather, looks so much better then the stretch type. Nice looking rig !!!!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    There is of course the concept or more, bigger, faster. I am a fan of simple, reliable, easy. The dbl fits that category well.

You could setup a belt fed machine gun at the top of the stairs and train your family as a gun crew, but someone will say you still need Glock with a laser and Surefire light.

YHJ

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    As BBI said, with all the good, affordable pumps out there, there's no real reason to handicap yourself with a double barrel.

Intimidation doesn't play into my home defense plan: Kill the intruder or injure them sufficiently to take them out of the fight. If you think they have time to see both barrels, their minds process "oh, TWO barrels?! I'm frightened!" and time for you to say "Get out of my home!", you are living in a Hollywood wonderland... They will see gun and either attempt to engage you or run. People overcomplicate issues.

Secondary issue with side by sides is sighting: They have crossover points for shot. I've seen some miss completely at 15-25yards plus with slugs and buck due to this. They are a purpose built item that people have hacked down on and made into something marginal for defense. A shotgun to me is a versatile weapon, long and short range. I again am not going to handicap myself with a marginal defense plan with an inflexible weapon, whose role can be accomplished by a pump gun that can fill more roles more adequately.

Top Bottom