• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    i was going down 130 west and had to go around as the road between yellowstone and froberg rd was closed. saw two county cops walking down the street with clipboards. though it was roadwork or accident.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I wonder if the crime rate, drug crime, property crime, etc. has significantly increased since Costas has been mayor.
    Just out of curiosity how exactly does the crime rate correlate to who is the mayor of a town? That is like the media saying crime rate has risen 10% in *insert town/city/State*the last ten years. While completely negating the fact that the population has risen 25% in *insert town/city/state/region* in the last 10 yrs

I understand the worry and concern of the safety of an area, but realistically no one is really safe anywhere there are people with evil intent. Since this isn't a factor we can change, we all should be viglelent of our surroundings.

Last edited:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Just out of curiosity how exactly does the crime rate correlate to who is the mayor of a town? That is like the media saying crime rate has risen 10% in *insert town/city/State*the last ten years. While completely negating the fact that the population has risen 25% in *insert town/city/state/region* in the last 10 yrs

I understand the worry and concern of the safety of an area, but realistically no one is really safe anywhere there are people with evil intent. Since this isn't a factor we can change, we all should be viglelent of our surroundings.

It doesn't I just don't like the POS. And, I think some of what he has done with the city has resulted in it being less safe, IMO.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I've lived in valpo for 23 years, excluding time spent away at school. I don't really think it's that bad... Sure, there are some mildly "iffy" areas, but that's the case in most towns. What area is your house in? My parents live in a subdivision near the intersection of Silhavey & Vale Park.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    While I agree that we all need to be situationally aware, surely you'd agree that while there are bad folks in every area, some have a higher amount than others, right handgun?

I'd sure say so.. I mean sure, there are bad folks in every city and town. Typically, though, bad folks like to hang out with one another, so you are going to find them in clusters. Delphi, for example, is a pretty safe area as far as violent crime is concerned - when there is violent activity, you can pretty much guess out of a handful of folks who is involved and where it happened. Other little towns and cities in the area, not quite so much..

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Valpo's a college town. Worst you have to worry about is getting your house TP'd when the wrong team loses.

IF you read the NWI Times take a look at how many crime stories come out of Valpo, and how many come from Hammond, Gary, EC, Hobart, Merrillville...

Like someone else said on the NWI General Post - (Davegrave I believe)... lots of murders happen all the time but most of them are domestic related. Double murder/suicides are very common...

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Valpo is not the same small town I grew up in. There have been 3 murders in the area in last year or so. That being said, it is still better than a lot of places. It really doesn't matter where you live, you have to be aware of your surroundings. There are some areas of Valpo that require a little more "situational awareness" than others. As far as Costas goes, IMO he and his team have done wonders for the city. They have procured huge amounts of state and federal money to make significant improvements to infrastructure in the city. No administration before his got as much done as this one.
    I just read in the paper that the suspect that has been arrested is form Hammond, as was the female victim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom