• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    So i went to midwest gun exchange for the first time the other day and it was great. I got to hold a paraordnance double stack 1911 in 45. My question is who hear owns one? good bad about them? i know weight would be a small issue but that does not bother me. I have seen some videos of these guns on you tube and a few had magazines that would not stay in. Any one have thoughts opinions?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    had a P10. past tense is pertinent.

I owned 45/9/40 in double stack LDA and loved them all. Even with a small hand they fit somehow? All worked and shot fine. Heavy .

Not a comfortable carry gun since even the p10s are daggoned heavy and wide when they're loaded. That LDA trigger is pretty sweet though.:twocents:

Had a chance to buy all the parts for a p13(?) one day for cheap. Everything except the frame. You can't order the bare frame. I tried.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had a P-13 back in the mid-90s. The magazines all sucked. I had to tweak them to get the gun to feed properly. But at least it wasn't the gun's fault. As it turned out the gun ran fine once I took care of the magazine issue.

I sold it for the same reason I've sold every other 1911 I've ever owned. I'm a lefty and ejected brass kept hitting me in the face.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've got an older (late 90's) P-14. No problems. Shoots all my reloads and works with PO and Mec-gar mags. Mine is the alloy frame version, so the weight isn't bad at all. I use it for my USPSA shooting.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    In my readings as I looked into using a high cap 1911 for competition shooting I read more than once of the mags being expensive and having reliability issues. A friend of mine had a double stack para for a while but traded it away because he wasnt confident in it. so like anything you may get a good one or it might have some problems.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a P14.45 that I was so happy with, I traded it on a P14.45 Limited model in blue. I recently bought a 16.40 Limited model in stainless, for no other reason than I didn't have a .40. . The .45 was flawless and feed everything, very accurate, and a nice trigger and finish right out of the box. The .40 S&W model is accurate and has a great trigger. I never had magazine trouble with either one using factory mags, but the .40 is a little picky about ammo, with light bullet, low power rounds not working correctly. When I am shooting a lot of low power ammo, I put in a 14 or 15 lb recoil spring and it works fine.

PS. New factory Para mags are $50 each, but a lot of factory mags are in the $40-50 range, so I do not feel like that too far out of line. They come with two, so you buy three more and you are all set.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I bought a P10 (Warthog) cheap on the used market. They guy who sold it said it was unreliable. I've got probably 1000 rounds though that very same gun, NEVER EVER any failures. However I've lent the gun to people who have had repeated failures with it. I blame limp wristing on their failures? I've taken the gun back from them and emptied the magazine into a target without a problem . . . given it back to them and they've had problems.

I am confident in the gun and its one of my carry pieces. I'd love to pick up a P14.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    How do the rock island double stacks compare to the para double stacks? There is a pretty large price difference but do you truly get a better product with it?

Thank you all for your info I am def looking to have my next purchase be in 45

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have a RIA 1911 A2 and it's great.
    Accurate, and reliable.
    I have only put a box or two through it so far but no malfunctions at all yet.
    I do think the trigger needs a little tweaking, it's just a little heavy for my taste.
    Fully loaded, the gun weighs a TON.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    para

I bought one a few years ago as one of my first pistols, and I just started using it in USPSA. I have approximately 2k rounds through it(not alot by any means).

I have had approximatly a half dozen failure to feeds throughout its life, mostly during SHO and WHO(back before I believed in lube apparently) No failure to fire, 1 or 2 stovepipes but most of the time it throws 'em way out there.

I have had no failures in the 1k or so I have shot this year. I lube excessively now, but only do a cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

I am happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to another based on my experiences.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom