• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Browsing the DNR web site I came across a little reg that I was not aware off. Steel shot is required on state properties and private properties. I knew you needed it on state props. but I did not know you were supposed to use it on private land. Is it against the law to use steel shot on private property? :ar15:
    "State regulations require non-toxic shot statewide for hunting mourning doves, public or private land." Taken from the DNR web site.

Last edited:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    If I remember, go 2 shot sizes larger, and 1 choke tighter when going from lead to steel. Then it shouldn't matter, unless you accidentally eat a shot pellet. Steel is hard on the teeth!

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I think going to steel shot was a bad choice. I do a lot of dove hunting on state property and I have shot several doves that just keep flying. I believe that there are more wounded doves then before. Yuo know that you have a good hit when the bird starts to drop and the feathers are going every where and then the bird continues to fly away.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    quote."If I remember, go 2 shot sizes larger, and 1 choke tighter when going from lead to steel."
    Watch going one choke tighter. Steel will tighten up your pattern about one choke compared to lead on it's own.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Non-toxic Shot Requirements"Hunters are required to use approved non-toxic shot while hunting mourning doves at all Indiana DNR Fish and Wildlife Areas and Reservoir properties."

Taken from page 12 of the the above listed publication.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    quote."If I remember, go 2 shot sizes larger, and 1 choke tighter when going from lead to steel."
    Watch going one choke tighter. Steel will tighten up your pattern about one choke compared to lead on it's own.

Thanks, I had it backwards. i knew it was one choke one way or the other

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Non-toxic Shot Requirements

Federal regulations require non-toxic shot for all migratory waterfowl (ducks and geese).
    State regulations require non-toxic shot statewide for hunting mourning doves, public or private land. Deer Creek, Goose Pond, Kankakee (including Dick Blyth and Bittern Bog Wetland Conservation Areas), and Wabashiki Fish and Wildlife Areas require non-toxic shot for everything. ("Shot" refers to bird shot, not single shot projectiles, like slugs for deer hunting, or .22 bullets for squirrel hunting.)

The part about using non-toxic shot on private land is what i am concerned about. The above text was taken from the DNR web site. :ar15:

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Browsing the DNR web site I came across a little reg that I was not aware off. Steel shot is required on state properties and private properties. I knew you needed it on state props. but I did not know you were supposed to use it on private land. Is it against the law to use steel shot on private property? :ar15:
    "State regulations require non-toxic shot statewide for hunting mourning doves, public or private land." Taken from the DNR web site.

It took me awhile to find it but it does state this on the dnr web site. Man I hope it is not so. What really is this limit on private property going to accomplish. I shoot clays with lead in the same field I would have to use steel to hunt in. Got to email the question to the dnr to find out.

Last edited:

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I finally found it. This statement is contradictory to what is stated in other DNR publications. Is there a CO on here who can comment?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Probably a typo.
    Waterfowl private or state ground non toxic.
    Dove was just state ground.
    Putting them both together in written proximity probably made for the error.

BTW, steel sucks.

You'll lose more doves even when going up to 6's. Forget about running a 20 gauge (my fave).

Top Bottom