• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    Any dove hunters out there? My buddy got drawn for the dove hunt at Kankakee FWA opening weekend and asked me if I wanted to go with him. Never been dove hunting, but I want to give it a shot. Any pointers for a new dove hunter? Any info or tips about Kankakee?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Any pointers for a new dove hunter?

Buy shotgun shells by the skid and have fun. When they are really flying, nothin, in the world of hunting, is more fun. Oh, and at the end of the hunt, if have had not been peppered by bird shot at least once, you didn't do it right.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    F&W area/reservoirs require non toxic shot now.

Sucks.

Back when we could use lead I found that the non promo stuff put more birds in the cooler. WW AA Superhandicap Trap or old Expert stuff dropped em like wet washrags out a ways.

A good dove day is a blast (no pun intended). Haven't had it good like yrs ago, but still worth trying every year, 'cause when it's good it's freakin' awesome :)

Last edited:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    This will be my 4th year dove hunting and now I really look forward to Labor Day weekend just for this reason. Last year wasn't that good for me but the year before that we did pretty well. Hoping for another good one this year. I'm using 'ol reliable; a Mossberg 500 12ga and new to the field for me Angelo Zoli O/U 12ga.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Make sure you get your HIP number. Went for the first time last year and had a great time. We wrapped the breasts in bacon and cooked them over a fire. Not too bad eating. Good luck.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Getting rained on and getting some idiot to shoot down the line in low angle are two different things (I had the later that drew blood after bashing a nearby branch-or it would have been worse). I turned that b*stard in too, and the folks didn't do anything.

This was yrs ago, guy from Kokomo, blue/grey K5 Blazer, '88 I think, was there with his kid and elderly father. 3 generations of A hole IMHO. Slow start, a sparrow hawk came over looking for previous day's cripples and the dude blew its tail feathers off as it cross the line over my bud's head (bud between us, so max shot D to me was 100 yds).

Rules state: no low angle shots. All shots away from the line and no shot larger than 7.5.

I got hit with #6.

My buddy held me back so I wouldn't shove my 870 20 gauge Special Field up the guy's arse.

Outside of some Hammond guys a couple of yrs in a row, doing skybusting.........and the moron from Kokomo, I've had zero issue.

In fact there are some regs who I enjoy seeing every year :)

One close call, couple of minor annoyances...............everybody else polite and cool.
    Wear safety glasses and have at it!

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    Thanks guys. I already have a stamp and HIP number. Have steel shot too.

Do they try to get to many people in a field for the hunts? Or is it people just not thinking before they take a shot?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Do they try to get to many people in a field for the hunts? Or is it people just not thinking before they take a shot?
    bit of both. they do limit the number of hunters per field, but it is often still too close quarters. add to that a number of hunters who haven't shouldered a gun since the same time a year ago, and it can be dicey. getting rained on can happen, not as big a deal to me.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I LOVE dove hunting, and I have gone on the reserved draw hunts for several years. Most of the important tips have been given. Get your hip number before you hunt. At Roush Lake (where I've hunted) you need non-toxic shot, i think 7 and half or 8 size (?). Wear shooting glasses and a cammo hat. Take sunscreen and bug repellent. Take a stool to sit on. At Roush they place numbered flags along the sunflower field edges, every 50 or 100 yards apart. You pick the number and stay within 5 yards of your flag. At Roush, they also limited us to two boxes of shells - so you get 50 shots to get you limit of 15 birds. I don't know it this is done at other sites.

I will tell you one tip that has helped my percentage of hits. Once I am all set up at my flag, I step off 35 yards from my spot and mentally mark that range (- pick a weed or bush or something to mark that distance) Then I keep all my shots within that range. Otherwise it is easy to shoot at birds that are too far out. You need to sit still and be patient as they approach, and bring the gun up slow and steady. They will notice sudden motion and flare away, so don't jump up too early. And don't be too disappointed if you miss a lot. I think the average hit about one bird in 5 or 6 shots.

mr buckman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I did my first "serious" dove hunt last year and had a blast. I'm about 2 bad early goose hunts from becoming a full time dove hunter in September ;)

volsfandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Swayzee
    buy lots of shells and water. i wont go without a couple mojo decoys either. one of my favorite things to do. when the birds are flying its some of the most fun you can have.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Thanks guys. I already have a stamp and HIP number. Have steel shot too.

Here is some pics from kank.....2011 :patriot:

bc8eb627.jpg

f391a052.jpg

d6dffd2d.jpg

knoxace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    Lead them by 4 feet , they're fast . I have not done a reserve hunt , so thats the best advice I can give on this . hope to see some posts on how it was .

Top Bottom