• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Clinton
    Who killed a mess of doves on the opener? Thinking about trying to get to chinook this weekend but haven't been there since they planted sunflowers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not me.

Just got home (bud got drawn for today).
    Met a couple of cool dudes, one a Hunter's Ed instructor.

I was first in the 2nd field. Of course some dillweed sets up 30 or so yards down from me, didn't walk past his spot to see who might be upstream.
    Looked like they mowed the sunflowers to 40-42 yards.
    Guy did make some shots dumping a couple in the standing flowers, 45-50 yards. He and his crew shot at some farther (that were angling toward my bud and I).
    On an honest 70 yard rip I exclaimed that I thought that was a little far. He laughed.

After a few more I yelled out for him to let them come in.
    Told him I was getting pissed.

One was close to him, and in line with the line, and he shot. It was maybe 8 ft off the ground too.

What a dumbarse.

I pounded one his kid laid claim to. Whatever.

Normally a good mix of folks............lots of inbreds at the wait for check in this year.

Have had great fun hunting Winamac for 30 yrs (dove). Last 2 times we've been drawn some idiot crowds us and skybusts.

I'm done with public land dove hunting.

Yeah our field was not top field (usually is) but there's no reason to be a d*ck about stuff.
    Poor sportsmanship and genetics in those two blinds.

I've had enough of that type.

The old regulars, good dudes..............didn't recognize any this time. Good guys, fun to chat with...........must all have private land, got pissed like me, or passed away.

Things change, just the way it is. The birds and the hunters........not liken they used to be.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did not limit out.
    Would have had to shoot dang near 100% to do it.
    Gave my bud my birds.

Not the best way to end my fun with Winamac dove, but beats getting skunked.

If I go again it will be private land and lead shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I must say, steel seems to drop birds pretty well for the idiots that crowded me, were taking the long shots.
    Saw 2 drop like rocks at 50 yards and a couple at 40-45.
    Or maybe they just burned all that money they saved by not learning etiquette, and bough bismuth or tungsten.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Same shells and choke as 2 yrs ago. Steel did pretty well for me then.
    Today..........was like years before......not impressed.
    Some birds came in high and fast, so they'd cross the treeline and fall behind.
    Had to look pretty hard for a couple, and lost one.
    When I lost the one, I quit taking that shot.
    Nothing fell where I could catch it before it hit the ground. I dropped a couple last go around (dangit).
    Always wanted to blast one and catch it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't mind not limiting out.
    Prefer to, but it's not the only reason I go (the idea is to limit out and shoot 50% with no cherry picking).

Not as many birds in the once best field (lots of shooting other field though).

A good day, morons are of lesser effect. One a medium day, a moron just makes things unacceptable.

A holes shooting 50+ yards, crowding in to where they shoot stuff they should have let you pop (within ethical range)...........then taking a low one back up the line..............

dunno who these clowns were, and I should have checked (drove all the way back to tell the DNR folks).

Oddly, when I heard them talk (close enough, but also very loud).............I was surprised to not hear the accent from "Da Region".

Couple of guys like that on a few past hunts. Two limited out and left and the hunt was darn fine afterward (limited out myself).

Nope...............these guys this tume, had some drawl.

Must be it..................it was a "dove drawl".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have to wonder...............they dropped some hard, at 45-50 yards. And took shots at longer birds.
    Have had a good day with steel to 40 yards before. One. Still not 100% dead on the dirt.
    All other times it's been marginal at best.
    No DNR checking for plugs or lead.
    Wish ol' greenjeans came down the line and gave them a look.

Inhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Clinton
    It looks like we're going to try chinook tomorrow on the sun flower fields. I haven't been there for a couple years so Im not sure where there at but we'll find them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sounds like fun although the uneducated people are keeping me away. Think I will sit in the boat with a fishing pole.

Top Bottom