• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    With the start of dove season just hours away I'm just curious as to how many others enjoy taking aim at these elusive flying creatures. What kind of set up do you use?

As for myself I use a 12 ga Stoger 2000 with 2 3/4" shells with #7 shot and my friends bring their mojo decoys to help bring 'em in close.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I like the #7 shot too, I use the 835 Ultimag 12ga or my Winchester 1300 20ga. I really love the dove hunting but finding a place that isn't covered in crops or high grasses is tuff this time of year. I have hunted the Chinnock FWA in Staunton just east of Brazil. It's ok but they havent done much for the birds over there so the huntin kinda sucks.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Whatever ammo Walmart has on sale, out my Browning BPS upland special. 2 mojos and numerous other decoys scattered around a corn field that has just been cut for silage. I enjoy dove hunting more than any other type of hunting.

Can't wait for Sunday.:ar15:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My preference is for an 1100 Trap, 30" full with Superhandicap WW AA 7.5's.
    Alas, F&W areas don't allow lead anymore so it's steel 6's nowadays.
    I could run the AA heavy in an 1100 Magnum too, cycled fine, but steel won't run it.
    Haven't found a reasonably priced used 28" modified fixed choke VR to put on my 1100 mag................so I'll use my POS 870 Express turkey gun.
    The 23" bbl isn't ideal for doves but I run about 50% with it. I run w a mod Remchoke.

Hopefully my cousin's dog can handle the heat Sunday.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My preference is for an 1100 Trap, 30" full with Superhandicap WW AA 7.5's.
    Alas, F&W areas don't allow lead anymore so it's steel 6's nowadays.
    I could run the AA heavy in an 1100 Magnum too, cycled fine, but steel won't run it.
    Haven't found a reasonably priced used 28" modified fixed choke VR to put on my 1100 mag................so I'll use my POS 870 Express turkey gun.
    The 23" bbl isn't ideal for doves but I run about 50% with it. I run w a mod Remchoke.

Hopefully my cousin's dog can handle the heat Sunday.

The 22 inch barrel is what I love about my BPS for dove hunting. I find that I am MUCH quicker on the draw with it than with my old 28 in barreled Wingmaster. But if you're battin .500 on doves, don't change a thing.:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used an 870 SP turkey model 21" Remchoke, a couple of 21" 870 Special Field 20s. Learned long ago the quick dims of the gun meant I didn't have to speed myself up too :) I miss the big 1100's.............mowed sunflowers to 40 yards, before they planted whatever tangle of grass between rows like they do now........................there'd be screamers cruising a few standing rows out, and the big 1100 would bark ('cause we could find the birds after they dropped).

It was like an invisible tennis racquet popped up and swatted them. Loved doing that. Hit 'em up close too.

If I think about what I'm doing, I'll have a bad run. If I just look at the bird and shoot, things work well. Note: I don't believe in cherry picking.

Ahhhhhhh yes, now that I've opened my big mouth watch me have a crappy day and shoot well below 50% LOL.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Beretta 303 or Benelli M2, both 20 gauge & 26" barrels. Backup gun in the truck in 12 gauge is usually a Beretta White Wing O/U with 28" barrels. All these guns are light enough for quick shots but long enough for smooth swings.

if I want a snappy gun I have 21" 1100 special field that has a standard stock instead of an English stock so it fits me just like my 870's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Several "no shows" up north today, so we got into the normally best field. Of course we were near the last in, and folks were a little spread out (they haven't staked spacing for years, kinda wish they did).........so my partner and I took a 1.5 man spot in a historically mediocre section of that field, and stayed kinda close to each other. Saw birds, fair number, right at the 12 o'clock start. I was 9 for 18 in an hour and a half. But then I decided to go stupid. Did limit out, with a few shells and hours to spare. But was way into my second box of shells :(

Had a couple of issues, the turkey gun's shortness/light frontal weight was a bit jerky for some shots, proly cost me 5 birds. When you're off and think it good enough, nope..............it aint. Prefer a much smoother bring to target rig. And...................my trusty 870 bobbled on me 3 times. Unburned powder gummed up my chamber. The Remington 6's and an Imp Cyl and being a bit selective.........actually brought most down dead. Did burn the last of the dirty Federals.

I never had powder on my arms before, but was speckled today, and when I got home cleaned the gunk spots out of the chamber. Maybe crappy shells overall or one or two bad ones? I dunno.

My neck bones feel like they're made of gravel, still got a headache from the cooker sun and allergies.
    I was happy, even though I shot just under 40% :ugh:

Oh well, I knew I jinxed myself with yesterday's post. Maybe next weekend I can redeem myself.

Cuz takin' a poke
    dove 2.jpg

Got checked by a CO while in the field today too. Birds, guns and licenses. Nice guy, just worked his way down the line around 4:30 or so.

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Hunted LaSalle with a new buddy. I got 1 and he got 2. They are sitting in the fridge now. Ones is awaiting to be wrapped in bacon and the other 2 will be made into biscuits and gravy...

Thanks Frank, I learned a lot and had a ton of fun.

Birds were flying, we just sat at the wrong end of the field...

I had an awesome experience of shooting my dove while it was flying toward me and it literally landed 4 feet from me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW the field we were in was loaded with Mojo decoys. I think our area the only spot without! ( we didn't use reg decoys either ).
    Guy to my right and just past him, had the hottest spots. And the guy closest to me probably shot 75%. He made some tough shots, but he got a lot of coming in floaters too. Those poor birds got HAMMERED. Dunno what load he was using but they fell like stones.

I was hoping to catch one I shot, no opps this year. Fumbled a chance last yr and yr before :(

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Not bad for being in the wrong spot of the field.

IMAGE_27.jpeg

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    dove

Bacon wrapped dove with onion, jalapeño, and Chihuahua cheese.

IMG_20130903_180233_740-1_zps3f821a3a.jpg

Tom that looks great. Thanks for letting me go with you. Sorry that we did not get more birds. I told my brother what happened. He said the same thing happened last year for us. He said I always pick the wrong end of the field. Next time I pick we will go the other end. I had a good time and enjoyed meeting you. Looking forward to hunting with you again.

Ford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Danville
    A buddy and i went out on Monday last weekend, we hunted a sunflower field and were the only ones on it, between the two of us we brought 16 doves home, found everyone we shot. I took my new Beretta a300 outlander, did great with 7/8 oz, 2 3/4in #7 steel, with modified. Started out with ic, but changed to get some reach.

Top Bottom