Down By The Tracks Gun Shop in Galveston?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I actually found these folks off of Gunbroker.com. They own a small gun shop in Galveston (near Kokomo) called Down By The Tracks Gun Shop.

They have a lot of hard to find guns right now in stock. For example, I bought a Bersa .380 for $235 there (new). They had a bunch of Kel-tec P3ATs for $250, some XDMs, FN-57, Mosins, Kel-tec sub rifles and quite a few ARs.

Everything seemed priced right and if you pay cash, they knock 5% off your bill. I don't think a lot of people know about them, so they have a lot in stock. I don't have their address, but their phone number is:

574-699-6891.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Yep, I buy a lot of stuff there, its about 6 mins from my house.... Last time I was home a bought a Beta C mag for my AR and it was 240, new in the box.... There is a good Class III shop about 10 mins from there on the outside of Kokomo also.... R

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    No problem. The last month has really made me appreciate Gun Shops that offer a great price, good customer service and stuff I'm looking for in stock.

Thanks again. I will continue to recommend you guys (and gals).

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I'm a computer geek so naturally hit the web first when looking for a gun and found them on Gunbroker. Had a good experience there this fall, bought a .357 Handi-Rifle for my kids to use for deer season. Had originally picked out a .44 but they suggested the .357 since the kids are 7 and 9. Only issue i had with it was when i swapped out the standard stock with a youth stock, the bolt wasn't the standard 4" but was 5" with a few washers. I'm guessing the gun i got had been customized at some point. Regardless, once i got the correct bolt in there (gun wouldn't cock due to length of bolt), the stock fit great and i had a great new gun for the kids. Now to go back and get that .44....

Shot of my son Owen, 7 and his first deer, .357 Handi-Rifle

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've enjoyed stopping in there from time to time.

Haven't spent any big money, just some reloading components(they've got quite a bit), nice folks with a nice shop.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep...stopped in there once or twice. But now that I no longer have a job that takes me anywhere near there; who knows when I'll be back!

Was a decent little shop to waste 30 minutes in!!

-J-

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    But remember Galveston isn't pronounced like the city in Texas... they get kind of sensitive about that :-)

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I have a friend that was telling me about this shop. He said they were good to deal with. I need to get over there. BTW does anyone know of a knife shop in the Galveston area?

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I didn't mean knife shop, I meant knife maker. I met him at the Indy show and lost his business card. I'd like to get ahold of him.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I get over there now and again. Fuel prices has keep me away this year, just didn't have the need to go over there. I hate to say I've driven with in a quarter mile of the place a few hundred times before I new it was there. It was after I found it on a web site, and I made it a point to find it.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    thanks

thank you so much. I couldn't remember his name for anything. Trouble is, it is a little late for christman shopping now.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Jeez Louise people, don't be givin' away one of our best kept local secrets. John will have those AR's flying of the wall now.
    In all actuality, they are one of the best shops in Cass County. Lots of reloading supplies, fair prices, friendly folk. I have before and will again give them my business.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just wanted to post a little update on my experience at Down by the Tracks:

I found a pistol I liked on gunbroker they were selling. I contacted them as to make a trade. They specified they would take trades in the listing, so I emailed and gave the details of the pistol I had to barter with. They assured me this was something of interest and they would take it on trade. I emailed two more times to confirm.

The guy's wife runs the gunbroker auctions and handles the emails.

Long story short, I drove 1.25 hours to this little shop in the middle of nowhere only to be received by a distruntled old man. He showed no interest, he insulted my trade, and his prices are 100-250 overpriced. He wanted 560 for a Rock Island 1911! The guy's reference book is from 1996 and he couln't find another Rock Island on gunbroker to compare to.

I would STAY AWAY from these people. They are unpleasant, unprofessional, and unhospitable.

Bear1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Kokomo

I found a pistol I liked on gunbroker they were selling. I contacted them as to make a trade. They specified they would take trades in the listing, so I emailed and gave the details of the pistol I had to barter with. They assured me this was something of interest and they would take it on trade. I emailed two more times to confirm.

Long story short, I drove 1.25 hours to this little shop in the middle of nowhere only to be received by a distruntled old man. He showed no interest, he insulted my trade, and his prices are 100-250 overpriced. He wanted 560 for a Rock Island 1911! The guy's reference book is from 1996 and he couln't find another Rock Island on gunbroker to compare to.

I would STAY AWAY from these people. They are unpleasant, unprofessional, and unhospitable.

WOW John must have been having a bad day. I have been in there many times and bought all but 2 of my firearms from him. I have never been overpriced andthe last gun i bought was 200 cheaper at his shop then it was at a shop in Kokomo. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with him

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Question?

Did you plan on making the deal through Gunbroker or were you trying to cut them out and deal directly with the shop? That is a bid NO NO as far as Gunbroker is concerned and if they find out that happened they might not let this dealer sell on there anymore as they were cut out of their commission.

Dick

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Nice 'well-kept secret'

DBTT shop is the absolutely cleanest and friendliest shop I have ever been in, or on a par with Bob's Pawn (Class III, ask for Tony) in Kokomo. I was very well treated on a trade-up for .45 to .45, and we both figured we had made a good swap. I had been shopping AR- lowers for about 6 mo., and they were always $5~10 lower than anyone else, and Big Brand Name lowers, no iffy stuff. $10 is not a lot of cash, but it will keep me coming in as a customer. I think someone was having a bad day. This 'little shop in the middle of nowhere' has at least $2,000,000 worth of goods on display (I'm a retired insurance appraiser). I recommend DBTT to anyone. Easy parking too. Pat

Top Bottom