• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thought this thread was about 3D printing...

My AK mags are topped off.

Three boxes = 2 mags. Evenly. What would I do with the other two or four cartridges?

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I'm a 28 round guy. I just like it because its easier to positively insert a magazine on a closed bolt. I also load my magazine in an odd configuration with a few rounds from the bottom being tracers as a possible visual clue in a sticky situation that I'm about to run dry.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I never put less rounds in my mags in the army. I never put less rounds in my magazine as a deputy. I don't carry less rounds than the magazines capacity.

Load 'em up, I say. :D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    All my magazines made to hold X-number of rounds are loaded with X-number of rounds. Been that way for a long, long time.

I've heard some people do that...I've also heard that some folks will not use their a/c and leave their lights off as much as possible to save gas while driving. I don't do that either.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I'm a 28 round guy. I just like it because its easier to positively insert a magazine on a closed bolt. I also load my magazine in an odd configuration with a few rounds from the bottom being tracers as a possible visual clue in a sticky situation that I'm about to run dry.
    ...thereby sending a signal to those of us aware of this method that you are about to need a mag swap.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    It's not usually the springs that go bad. It's the constant pressure on the feed lips that get distorted (especially cheap ones).

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    To all the people saying that having a fully loaded mag does not wear on the springs, I don't believe you. My father has a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power that was kept with a loaded mag for 30ish years. Low and behold when he got back into firearms and we went to the range, that damn mag misfeed every single round. Other mag worked like a champ. Replaced the spring the mag that was kept loaded, works like a champ now. Thank god a snub nose 38 was his home gun. Still scary none the less.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To all the people saying that having a fully loaded mag does not wear on the springs, I don't believe you. My father has a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power that was kept with a loaded mag for 30ish years. Low and behold when he got back into firearms and we went to the range, that damn mag misfeed every single round. Other mag worked like a champ. Replaced the spring the mag that was kept loaded, works like a champ now. Thank god a snub nose 38 was his him home gun. Still scary none the less.

It does happen, I have had my EDC, S&W model 59 9mm, loaded since 1979, I take it to the range, and unload my

SD ammo, load my range ammo, and shoot .....

Go home, clean, load SD ammo, and put away, ready for next time .....

not replaced a spring yet ..... and carry it everyday .....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To all the people saying that having a fully loaded mag does not wear on the springs, I don't believe you. My father has a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power that was kept with a loaded mag for 30ish years. Low and behold when he got back into firearms and we went to the range, that damn mag misfeed every single round. Other mag worked like a champ. Replaced the spring the mag that was kept loaded, works like a champ now. Thank god a snub nose 38 was his him home gun. Still scary none the less.

Not all springs are created equal. My Mossberg spring couldnt handle it, but Ive got AR and Glock mags that can. :dunno:

Unload the Hi power and let it sit empty for a year or so. Worked for me and my Mossberg (which is no longer a bedside gun, sits empty in the vault and only comes out to shoot) now works awesome.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    It does happen, I have had my EDC, S&W model 59 9mm, loaded since 1979, I take it to the range, and unload my

SD ammo, load my range ammo, and shoot .....

Go home, clean, load SD ammo, and put away, ready for next time .....

not replaced a spring yet ..... and carry it everyday .....

Quite alot of dots for me not doubting you at all. I'm saying I experienced a spring issue first hand. Not saying that certain springs are designed different, larger, smaller, better, quality, rata, rata, rata. Addressing absolutes and some cheekie youtube guy that says it's a myth and starts rambling on about ak mag lockup.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    To all the people saying that having a fully loaded mag does not wear on the springs, I don't believe you. My father has a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power that was kept with a loaded mag for 30ish years. Low and behold when he got back into firearms and we went to the range, that damn mag misfeed every single round. Other mag worked like a champ. Replaced the spring the mag that was kept loaded, works like a champ now. Thank god a snub nose 38 was his home gun. Still scary none the less.
    When you get home, do you jack your car up to take pressure off the suspension?

Top Bottom