• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Hopefully some of you with experience with this can help answer these questions: is the Glock 30 significantly easier to carry than the 21sf? Is the 26 significantly easier to carry than the 30? Should I just stick with what I have, carry either the 21 or my snubbie, and save the money?

Here is the background: I have a 21sf that I love. I will not be getting rid of it. However, sometimes I feel that it is just too large and heavy to comfortably carry (concealed, IWB), especially with summer t-shirts and shorts. Yes, I have a great holster and belt (Old Faithful), so please don't suggest I try a new holster. Lately I have been convincing myself that I should buy a model 30, since it is smaller and lighter and presumably easier to carry. But then I start thinking that if I am going to purchase a new gun for easier carry then maybe I should go for the 26, as it is lighter and smaller than the 30. If I do end up purchasing something, it will absolutely be a Glock, so please don't suggest a different brand.
    To make this even more difficult, I also have a 357 snubbie that I can pocket carry or conceal IWB. But I don't shoot this nearly as well as I do my 21, and I am not super comfortable with only five rounds (albeit 357).
    Soon I will have enough cash in my "rainy day fund," so I could make the purchase without sacrificing the budget. But, that money could also stay in the fund for something else in the future.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I pocket carry a G26 with the standard 10 round magazines in the same holster that I pocket carry my Taurus .357 in. Works great for that. As I recall, the 30 is quite a bit larger. Even though its technically a "compact," it reaches up there into the mid-size handgun range pretty easily.

IMO, if you want a "pocket Glock" the 26 or 27 will be hard to beat. That seems to be what you have narrowed yourself down too. I cannot speak for the 36 myself, as I have never handled or fired one, but you may want to look into it as well.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Hopefully some of you with experience with this can help answer these questions: is the Glock 30 significantly easier to carry than the 21sf?

YES , it is . I went from a 21 to a 30 and it was a big difference .

I can carry it in my front pocket without anyone noticing , or at least nobody has said anything about it .

I don't know anything about the 26 .

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hopefully some of you with experience with this can help answer these questions: is the Glock 30 significantly easier to carry than the 21sf? ...

+1 Yes. The G30 is about the same size as the G19 (one of the most popular carry guns around). Highly recommend the G30 and you can still carry your extra G21 mags as spares.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks for the answers so far. I never really considered pocket carry as an option for either the 30 or 26. Honestly I don't really like to pocket carry my snubbie, so if I were to get one of the Glocks it would be for IWB. Good to know it would be a possibility though.

Can anyone speak to the difference in actual carry between the 30 and 26?

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    The 26 will be smaller and Lighter. but what are you more comfortable with .45 ACP or 9mm? I have a 27 that I cc daily and fell that it is a great CCW. Hold them see how they fit you. I will say that I own 3 glocks all .40 S&Ws and I still have a G30 on my list of must haves. They are good guns. I would suggest it if you are comfortable with it since you already have the G21.

PimpStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yes. I carry a G29 often, but it's bulky for IWB.

The 26 is much more comfortable/lighter/thinner. 1.18 v. 1.27 doesn't sound like much, but you definitely feel it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    IMO...

Can anyone speak to the difference in actual carry between the 30 and 26?

I started down the Glock road with a G19 & G26, both Gen 3. After a while, I decided to go back to my trusted 45ACP & leave the 9mm. In weight, it seems like the G19 & G30 fully loaded are of similar weight. There is a slight difference in slide thickness, but that doesn't bother me. The main reason I don't carry my G30 more is because of management of recoil. The 45ACP is very easy to manage using a G21SF (I own one of these, too), but becomes a bit more unruly with such a short grip.

While I don't like the 9mm round, it's much easier to use in the sub-compact frame.

Please, don't just take our opinions... Try & find someone who's willing to let you try the G30 for yourself... I'm willing to, depending on how far apart we live. Email me, if you wanna give it a go...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I perceive no significant practical difference betwen the G19 or G30 for daily IWB carry and one of those is usually what I have 90% of the time.

Sure, there's a width and weight difference on paper, but with a good holster, belt, and pants sized for carry, I don't really notice the difference day-to-day. FWIW.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I carry my G26 IWB with no problem and don't even notice it there. I also carry a G19 in a Retention holster both CC and OC. I tried the G27 didn't like the weight. JMO

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I carry a G26 IWB daily and forget its even there. I did put a Pearce extension on the mag, but it's still noticeably easier to carry than my G19. The difference in slide thickness between the G30 and G19/26 isn't much on paper, but it will be noticed, depending on how thin your body type is. I'm fairly thin, and could feel a big difference between the two. YMMV

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Norsk, I carry the G21Sf or G30SF daily. Love carrying it even more since I switched to the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster.

I have thought about the Glock 26 lately. Actually had one in my hands several times the last couple of weeks. With the magazine extensions I think it is perfect for concealed carry and will eventually get one. Plus, I like the price of 9mm ammunition compared to .45 ACP.

I will still keep my G21SF and G30SF though. Nothing like a heavy hitting Glock. :rockwoot:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a different suggestion. If you need a small CC weapon, look at the Taurus 709 Slim.

I know,"Taurus is junk" threads and opinions abound on this forum. I also know that drinking the Glock kool-ade makes it difficult to change. But consider these things before you make your decision.

First, I carried a G26 for over a year. It is an excellent weapon, but I had three problems with it. 1. It was too large for summer carry. It was heavy and difficult to conceal in summer attire. 2. The gap between the front edge of the mag and the bottom of the butt pinched my finger so that practice was a painful experience. I got a blood blister after three mags every time I took it to the range. 3. It was inaccurate. It may have been that the night sights were improperly installed, but I was a poor shot with it. When I switched to another weapon, my accuracy instantly improved. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed the G26, but it just did not work for me.

Second, I purchased a 709 from an INGO member. Pieces fell off it during my first range trip. Taurus repaired the weapon in a matter of six weeks at no cost to me. I have put over 500 rounds through it since and it has worked perfectly. The only FTFs have been due to dirty ammo. I expected the problems when I loaded the ammo, so I know it was not a problem with the 709. The Taurus has eaten every factory load I have used including WWB, S&B, Remington factory reloads, Tula, etc. I have compared it to the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP (.380). It is larger than the mouse guns, but far, far more reliable, enjoyable, and accurate. (I know, the Ruger fans will will have my head for this, but it vastly outperformed the the LCP at the range.) Accuracy was better than with the G26, at least for me under the same conditions on the same range trip.

Third, the 709 uses a 7-round mag. I carry two extra mags when I carry it. With one in the chamber I have 22 rounds. Only four rounds less than the G26 with one extra mag. I am comfortable with 22 rounds when I CC in the summer.

Fourth, the 709 has the Glock-style trigger safety and an external safety. I engage the safety when holstering the weapon and disengage the safety when carrying. The 709 breaks down just like the Glock, but it is easier to hold down the pins to release the slide on the 709. My fingers appreciate the difference.

If your primary concern is size and weight, the Taurus 709 Slim is a better option than the G26. It is smaller and lighter, and it performs well. Consider it. It might work for you.

Hope this was helpful.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've owned both and the G26 is a lot easier to CC than the G30. That said though its not really all that hard to CC a G30 either. I still own the G26 and sold my G30 and have regretted it ever since. Should've keep both :(

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm an average size guy. I've carry a G30 in my front pocket for almost ten years. It's very concealable and comfortable. I've also carried a G21 and yes the G21 is a lot more pistol to hide.
    I still carry the G21 in a hip holster if I can cover it up. I then use the G30 as back up. It's nice to know an extra G21 clip will work in either gun.

Top Bottom