DPMS for a RRA, is this a trade up in quality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Yea DPMS pushes out a lot of economical AR15's. But their top shelf AR's will hold their own to just about any other manufacturer. the quality of my particular DPMS, which is a designated marksman rifle clone (from the factory) is of as high of quality as any other AR brand I have handled.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i wouldnt say that RRA makes much better product than dpms. they both are far down on the list. i think both are tier 5 if i remember.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    i wouldnt say that RRA makes much better product than dpms. they both are far down on the list. i think both are tier 5 if i remember.

Is this your opinion based on owning and shooting these guns, or is it something you read? What is the tier system? Is that something someone made up?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd buy a broken Rock River over a brand new DPMS any day of the week and twice on sunday. :D

But seriously, I think you'd be trading up. I just don't quite hear as many warranty issues or factory problems with Rock River as I do DPMS

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    What is the tier system? Is that something someone made up?

The tier system has been around for sometime generally applies to manufactures and the product they produce.

Tier one generally applies to true mil-spec rifles that are tested to mil-spec standards and few problems exist with the final product: Colt, LMT, BCM, H&K

Tier two generally applies to manufactures that have few problems and build general quality rifles, however they may need some tweaking to bring to a duty standard (staking and chamber reaming): RRA & Stag are general seen in this tier

Tier three generally applies to manufactures that produce a AR-15 that is not build to Tier 1 or 2 standards and problems are found more consistently: DPMS and Bushmaster are typically seen in this tier.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The tier system has been around for sometime generally applies to manufactures and the product they produce.

Tier one generally applies to true mil-spec rifles that are tested to mil-spec standards and few problems exist with the final product: Colt, LMT, BCM, H&K

Tier two generally applies to manufactures that have few problems and build general quality rifles, however they may need some tweaking to bring to a duty standard (staking and chamber reaming): RRA & Stag are general seen in this tier

Tier three generally applies to manufactures that produce a AR-15 that is not build to Tier 1 or 2 standards and problems are found more consistently: DPMS and Bushmaster are typically seen in this tier.

Source, please.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's in a shop...haven't taken mine in yet to see what I can get in trade, was wanting to get opinions on here first. May just buy it outright and have both:)::):
    You better take your jar of vaseline with you if you're looking to trade a used DPMS for a new RRA. I would just buy the RRA outright, and if you don't want the DPMS, try to sell it here.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    There is not a set in stone tier description listed somewhere. The tier description is a term used by some instructors, armorer's and suppliers when describing parts and assemblies. You could use A,B,C or white, yellow, red. What it comes down to is a way to compare one item to another.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks much for the info re:tiers, MK18. I since have looked on a few other sites. It looks like the "tier" system of rating AR's is pretty controversial and like you say, there are many definitions depending on who gives them. The only thing that appears to be pretty much agreed upon is that the guns accepted for the military and meeting their requirements are tier 1. That would be Colt and FN rifles issued to the troops, and that would not necessarily include all models of Colt and FN rifles. IMHO the so-called tier system has very limited value. I base this on the fact that many rifle brands on the lower tiers, i.e. Rock River and DPMS have survived torture tests. One model of the RR was selected by the DEA after given such tests by the DEA.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Top Bottom