• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Picked up a DPMS Oracle in .308 today, expanding into .308. No rounds through it yet.

Looking to for suggestions on upgrades: Front hand guard (even my 13 yr. old said it was cheesy), Optics, trigger, barrel, and stock.

Since I will put a Schuler brake on it, the flash hider will be moving on.

Note: I am familiar with ARs but don't wrench on them a whole lot other than tear down and cleaning. Sale at Rural King. I could not resist.

Give me your best input, looking for 300 YD. 2MOA.

Thanks,

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Midwest Industries makes some Awesome looking rails for the LR308 rifles. As far as optics go I'm bias just like probably everyone else on here, but I really like the Nikon scopes. Great glass and awesome eye relief look into their Prostaff or Buckmaster II line. For a trigger I went with a Black Rain Ordinance 3lb single stage drop in, Awesome trigger. I ran a RRA 2 stage for a long time in it if your not looking to spend a lot on one. For barrels I went with a Faxon midweight, love their barrels great price and fit an finish are spot on. Their just tough to find in stock. But there are a number of other great manufactures Mega Arms, Rainier Arms, ect. As far as stocks go anything from Magpul would be a good place to start. Hope this helps :yesway:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not real educated when it comes to the AR-10, but I know that DPMS has two different receiver heights. Not sure if the Oracle is a low or high. If buying an aftermarket rail system then I'd make sure it'll mate up to the height of your Oracle.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    How much were they at RK? I'd like to get into one for $700. Be a decent base gun to upgrade to a match grade barrel, free float rail, and good trigger. Have about the same $$ in it as a G2 model and have way better accuracy.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If that Oracle is from Delphi, stay away! It will give you self-fulfilling prophecies! Wait, you don't mean that type of oracle!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not real educated when it comes to the AR-10, but I know that DPMS has two different receiver heights. Not sure if the Oracle is a low or high. If buying an aftermarket rail system then I'd make sure it'll mate up to the height of your Oracle.

Current production DPMS should have a low tang

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have no idea why, but the Oracle, LR-308B, LR-308T and the LR-308 20" stainless barrel target model all still use the high receiver.

They still use that heavy and fugly receiver that has the built in 1/2" riser? I remember last year or 2 years ago DPMS had a sale on those for $80ea, figured (hoped) they had discontinued those and were blowing them out. Only DPMS ever made a flush fit rail for them and it was heavy, expensive, and fairly unatractive.

I thought DPMS had switched to the lows exclusively a few years ago, guess they continue to be inconsistent.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    They still use that heavy and fugly receiver that has the built in 1/2" riser? I remember last year or 2 years ago DPMS had a sale on those for $80ea, figured (hoped) they had discontinued those and were blowing them out. Only DPMS ever made a flush fit rail for them and it was heavy, expensive, and fairly unatractive.

I thought DPMS had switched to the lows exclusively a few years ago, guess they continue to be inconsistent.

Oh believe me I agree they look awful an don't match anything, but for what ever the reason those models I listed still come with the high receiver all their other models come with a "normal" receiver height. There are a few manufactures that make handgaurds for that high receiver though, Troy, MI, and the UTG Pro line all offer a hangdaurd that will work.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Oh believe me I agree they look awful an don't match anything, but for what ever the reason those models I listed still come with the high receiver all their other models come with a "normal" receiver height. There are a few manufactures that make handgaurds for that high receiver though, Troy, MI, and the UTG Pro line all offer a hangdaurd that will work.

Learn something new every day, and I thought I was decently up to date on the LR308 stuff. Did not know those companies bothered to make a rail for that receiver

Hell, didn't know UTG made a 308 rail

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ha ha I hear ya, I've about 8 different LR308 models over the years and have one now. When I first got into them it was tough finding much as far as hand gaurds, but just about every major manufacture makes them for it now. Most even offering the High and Low versions. I have to say I just bought a MI M-lock rail for my current LR308 project and absolutely love it cant wait to get my barrel so I can see how it looks on the rifle, lol

Here is a few links on the UTGs I found real quick. I had one on my LR308B when I had it. Worked very well and was a major improvement over the factory piece.
    UTG PRO 15" Keymod Free Float Rail for LR-308 Rifles ? Ground Zero Precision

UTG Pro 13" SuperSlim Free Float Rail - LR-308 - High Profile - MTU020SSB

FaxonFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Flattered to be thought of. Apologies on the stocking levels, we're bringing on additional employees and machines as fast as we can. Production has more than tripled in the last year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom