• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In 2019, almost all mechanical and architectural drafting and other precision drawing is done using some kind of computer-based applications. For practical purposes in terms of repeatability, easy revision, portability, archiving, integration with analysis tools and a whole list of other things, computer-based design is superior. However, there is something satisfying about producing a really good drawing using a pencil, paper, and an assortment of precision drawing tools - it is functional art. For good or bad, board skills are rarely taught and are rapidly dying art form.

When I was an undergrad (1983-87), CAD was new and I really believed that the primitive systems I had seen were a passing fad. As a result, I dismissed the need to learn how to use such tools (which was a mistake) and I have yet to remedy that situation due to the fact that I will never be doing any kind of design work again. In fact, my Kinematic class was mostly solving machine kinematics problems graphically. Before computers, such solutions were faster and in some cases more accurate than grinding through an analytical solution. The advent of ubiquitous calculators and computers have rendered that skill moot, although I maintain that learning it probably yield a superior understanding of mechanical motion of rigid bodies.

My fascination with drafting tools and skills persists, though, as evidenced by my collection of 0.3mm mechanical pencils and (somewhere in storage) some interesting sets of vintage tools. I still use a minimal set of gear when drawing sketches and graphs as part of my solutions for math problems. Yeah, it's time-consuming overkill in some cases, but it's fun and leaves me with a better solution to review for later use.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor everyday at work. I can certainly say that CAD is easier and faster than hand drawings, but I don't get the same satisfaction out of them as I did doing the hand drawings my freshman year of high school. Something about using the T-square, triangles, and triangular scale just made the drawings mean more. I had an old school teacher back then, and he made you think hard about every mark you made because you knew if you didn't erase it well enough or left a smudge on the drawing your grade would go down.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I learned to draft on a board but made the transition to AutoCAD in '87. I sometimes use the triangles and French curves when making a leather holster pattern.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am NOT into drafting, but....

My dad was an electrical engineer for a small firm for decades. He ended up part owner and president of the business before he retired. I have his drafting table, and use it as MY work desk every day. I also still have a bunch of his random "desk tools" in a drawer. Slide rules, rulers, some of his daily use pencils, stencils, and a bunch of old drawings.

My (his) desk right after I cleaned it up and moved it into my office:
    ILs7Q9B.jpg

Some of my dad's old "stuff" from his desk:
    yYT2fcq.jpg

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I too, often miss the enjoyment of designing and developing products on the old-timey drawing boards. I was a layout draftsman for a major company for about seven years but for some strange reason got interested in software development and changed careers. Things worked out well but I still wonder if it was the right thing to do.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I was an undergrad 03-07 in Landscape Design and we still did everything by hand. I have a whole box of pencils, pens, scales, and other drafting tools that we used. Along with hundreds of dollars worth of markers that we used for rendering our designs. It wasn't until our senior Capstone project that we used AutoCAD to do a design. I can say that the design and rendering of AutoCAD has come a long way, and can almost look as good as a hand drawn design.

Top Bottom