• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    While shooting with friends yesterday I picked up my FPK and got 1 round downrange and the slide did not cycle forward, it was stuck apon clearing the weapon i discovered that the (ignorant about fire control parts names, bear with me) pin that is closest to the front of rifle had come out of the receiver, jamming the up the whole mess. Got home finally and stripped the weapon minus fire control group and found a "paper clip size wire " spring that looks to be a retainer for the 2 pins in the fcg had fell off the pins, re inserted it and locked both pins down. Question 1... is firearm safe to fire, all functions seem to be working correctly. Question 2 ... are there a source for the "paper clip spring" pin retainers? Or should i try e-clips if i can find them in the size that i need.
    Thanks.:dunno:

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    i believe that is called the shepards crook. you may need to order a replacement, as that one may have worn out, unless you put it in wrong the last time you disassembled the weapon:dunno: i'll wait for the others to chime in before i say fire it

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    All AK variants, of which the RPK, FPK and all others are long receiver AK variants have that wire, yes called a shepherd's hook to retain the trigger and hammer axis pins. It is very easy on some versions to not reinstall it correctly which allows the hammer pin to walk out and turn your weapon into a club.

Usually it is a matter of just reinstalling it correctly, but you can get a retainer plate or use the "e" clips instead. I believe you can get the Redstar retainer plate from BlackJack Buffers LLC

If you are not familiar with Blackjack, I can highly recommend them. Not only have I purchased from them, but I know the owner personally and have done some part testing for him. Great person to deal with.

Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    Thank you both for the quick response. I will indeed be using E-clips instead of a new shepherds crook. I feel that they will be more secure. Thank you for your help.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Go with the retainer plate.

E clips have been known to come off and are hard to manipulate.

I run a retainer plate in my PSL (be aware some material may be needed to remove from the top of the plate before install...not a big deal though)

Also, be aware that if the pin retainer wire (shepards hook) is not installed correctly the pins can and will wear into the receiver causing an "egging" effect of the receiver pin holes.

Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    Part #

Thank all of you again , i have been looking for the plate , can someone give a specific link on a site , or a manufacturer and part # all i see are for AK47,74, or is the part the same , i only have the FPK and have nothing to compare the Shepard crook to.
    Thanks

EDIT: i did see the links above and looked at them and seen the aforementioned parts.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom