• ...and so much more!
  • anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    MEANT CAI in Title

I have been looking for an AK for a little while now. I have a very low budget and found that these 2 are around the same price($350 + ship) they both are in the budget and I could afford around 1000 rds as well.

I was thinking Draco because from what I hear they are Russian made and pretty well built. I was thinking of going the SBR route which would be another $300 to $450 (tax stamp, engraving,stock, furniture, etc.) at the end of the day. Which will cost about as much or more than I paid for the gun.
    Ammo cost a little bit more

AK74 (389 shipped w 2 mags) I would only eventually add a side folder, for added portability. But I have heard that CIA is hit and miss.
    AK74 has cheaper ammo Also saw a Polish Tantal AK74 Sidefolder for $389+ship which I think is also CIA made.

Is CIA worth the risk or should I grab the Draco. What are your thoughts? Where would my $$ be best spent? Thanks

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I have been looking for an AK for a little while now. I have a very low budget and found that these 2 are around the same price($350 + ship) they both are in the budget and I could afford around 1000 rds as well.

I was thinking Draco because from what I hear they are Russian made and pretty well built. I was thinking of going the SBR route which would be another $300 to $450 (tax stamp, engraving,stock, furniture, etc.) at the end of the day. Which will cost about as much or more than I paid for the gun.
    Ammo cost a little bit more

AK74 (389 shipped w 2 mags) I would only eventually add a side folder, for added portability. But I have heard that CIA is hit and miss.
    AK74 has cheaper ammo Also saw a Polish Tantal AK74 Sidefolder for $389+ship which I think is also CIA made.

Is CIA worth the risk or should I grab the Draco. What are your thoughts? Where would my $$ be best spent? Thanks

My CAI Draco is Romanian. Haven't seen any Russian ones. I have a Draco-C which means it was mostly all original (including the trigger that works perfectly fine) until I tacticooled the poopies out of it to make it an evil black deerslaying pistol that has more lights and lasers than most bar mitzvah djs. It's fun to shoot. It eats everything (hollow pointed too) so long as the magazine isn't junk.

I don't agree with the SBR route with the Draco's. You aren't dropping that much off the length of the gun, especially if you replace the Draco's muzzle nut with something better. The krink style cone I have makes adds at least a couple inches in comparison to the thread protector that was on it originally. Plus, you can't shoot Bambi with an SBR unless you are Amish. But hey, do what works for you.

Last edited:

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't agree with the SBR route with the Draco's. You aren't dropping that much off the length of the gun, especially if you replace the Draco's muzzle nut with something better. The krink style cone I have makes adds at least a couple inches in comparison to the thread protector that was on it originally. Plus, you can't shoot Bambi with an SBR unless you are Amish. But hey, do what works for you.

Thanks. Thats why I was thinking maybe full length sideor underfolder.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I as well have a draco pistol. I don't have the C "Wish I did". They are all Romanian imported by CSI.

So far I have not found 1 problem with it. Now I just wish I could add a front vertical grip to mine. LOL.

I cannot attest to the AK74 as I have never shot one or had one.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have both :): because I couldnt decide either,but I can attest that although mine is a CAI AK 74 ( 21st century) it is a great reliable shooter and accurate to boot & the Draco is fun albeit not as practical but I added a green laser,single point sling & it shoots close enough for me.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I as well have a draco pistol. I don't have the C "Wish I did". They are all Romanian imported by CSI.

So far I have not found 1 problem with it. Now I just wish I could add a front vertical grip to mine. LOL.

I cannot attest to the AK74 as I have never shot one or had one.

Something to keep in mind is that if you add a front grip, your pistol has now become an class III AOW, requiring you to go through the whole NFA process.

Like the OP, I seriously considered building a Draco SBR, but sadly feel like it wouldn't be worth the trouble due to the length. If your going to do it, do it right and use a rifle with the shorty Krinkov style setup like the Arsenal SLR-107UR.

My vote is for the AK-74. Just make sure the barrel is chrome lined, because most of that cheap ammo is really corrosive.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I live on the southeastern line of the state, I don't visit Indy often. Thanks for the info though, are they the same price there? :dunno:

No sadly a pre ban would be quite more expensive. $650 area. I wish I had that kinda doe to just throw again. I am thinking of getting a sksm instead. I have a draco, PSL, 2 mosin. I would like to add another 7.62x39 to the collection. Trying to cut my calibers back.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Do you have a Russian style rifle? If not, get the 74, it's a great rifle and cheap to shoot. The Draco is a novelty. But hey, novelties are nice. I have both, the 74 gets much more range time, like 10-1.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have both, and enjoy both, so I didn't have much to say till you settled an the AK74. Mine came with the worst plastic furniture I've ever seen; it was flimsy, uncomfortable, and the handguards passed heat directly to my hands. Fortunately, there's an easy, cheap fix: https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_79/products_id/1208

The only issue with the set is that the screws that secure the stock to the tang on the original plastic stock do not fit the wood stock. I used the included screws that secure the butt plate to the wood stock to secure it to the tang/receiver, and got brass screws locally to re-attach the butt plate to the wood stock. I hope to run across some OEM screws in the future, but my DIY fix is instantaneous and serviceable (and I'm impatient!).

The kit was obviously used, but in very good mechanical shape... I did refinish it. The lower handguard is a different, harder, type of wood but I was able to match the other pieces w/o too much difficulty.

From this:
    DSCF0340.jpg

to this:

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

Total cost of less than $50 for the stock kit and refinishing materials. It took 3 days to complete. Day 1 was strip, prep, and 1st stain; day 2 was 2nd stain and color matching; day 3 was finish sanding/steel wool and waxing.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I have both, and enjoy both, so I didn't have much to say till you settled an the AK74. Mine came with the worst plastic furniture I've ever seen; it was flimsy, uncomfortable, and the handguards passed heat directly to my hands. Fortunately, there's an easy, cheap fix: https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_79/products_id/1208

The only issue with the set is that the screws that secure the stock to the tang on the original plastic stock do not fit the wood stock. I used the included screws that secure the butt plate to the wood stock to secure it to the tang/receiver, and got brass screws locally to re-attach the butt plate to the wood stock. I hope to run across some OEM screws in the future, but my DIY fix is instantaneous and serviceable (and I'm impatient!).

The kit was obviously used, but in very good mechanical shape... I did refinish it. The lower handguard is a different, harder, type of wood but I was able to match the other pieces w/o too much difficulty.

From this:
    DSCF0340.jpg

to this:

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

Total cost of less than $50 for the stock kit and refinishing materials. It took 3 days to complete. Day 1 was strip, prep, and 1st stain; day 2 was 2nd stain and color matching; day 3 was finish sanding/steel wool and waxing.

wow...looks awesome. Thanks for the info. now just need to let the wife know..she just asked what I wanted for my Birthday next month.

So how does it shoot?

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield

From this:
    DSCF0340.jpg

to this:

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

On most Century AKs with poly furniture, the rifle will be short US parts for 922(r) compliance when swapping to foreign made furniture. I'm sure you checked and made sure or you probably wouldn't be posting pics on a public forum, but I felt it should be pointed out as a reminder for other readers.

Your rifle looks GREAT by the way, I really like the color of the wood.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    wow...looks awesome. Thanks for the info. now just need to let the wife know..she just asked what I wanted for my Birthday next month.

So how does it shoot?

Shoots great, no keyholing out to 100 yards (farthest I've shot it so far). It's an earlier one, I think, as it's built on an "Elk River" receiver (Home). Can't say where the current receivers come from.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    Shoots great, no keyholing out to 100 yards (farthest I've shot it so far). It's an earlier one, I think, as it's built on an "Elk River" receiver (Home). Can't say where the current receivers come from.

Hows the bbl is it chrome lined??

I wavering...Draco Chrome lined barrel...and Im finding 500rds 7.62x39 15$ cheaper than the 5.45

Last edited:
    Top Bottom