• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Keep in mind, there are different lines of ALS holsters. There is a much lighter CCW or "sporter" version which comes with a paddle as well as a belt slide IIRC, as well as a variety of much heavier level 2 or 3 duty holsters which are very pricy.

The one I have in mind is the Safariland 6378. Safariland® Model 6378 ALS® Paddle Holster

They also offer an optional guard that installs over the release mechanism that essentially makes it a Level 3 retention.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've got a friend that I go back and forth with about having a retention holster for OWB or not, and I think I may have just gotten the ammo to win the debate once and for all..

For what it's worth, I've got a thumb break on my OWB holster, which is one of my own design and making, and a year into unholstering every day at work (I know, I know, leave it in the holster, blah blah blah...), the retention is still such that I can almost hang my weight on the grip of the gun without it breaking free.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Another vote for the ALS Safari land. I have paddle holsters and it's a very instinctive draw. I also find it puts my thumb in the perfect spot to disengage my beretta safety. I have the level 3 version in a thigh holster and was surprised at how easy the draw is even with the added hammer strap.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok, low-information question here...if he's got his hand on the gun in a room full of innocents, is there some rule preventing someone from taking a baton and braining the perp (or worse?). Just wondering why this wasn't a deadly-force scenario for LE.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ok, low-information question here...if he's got his hand on the gun in a room full of innocents, is there some rule preventing someone from taking a baton and braining the perp (or worse?). Just wondering why this wasn't a deadly-force scenario for LE.

I'm sure that BBI will chime in to give the definitive answer, but I would say without hesitation that this certainly qualifies as a deadly-force scenario.
    The intentions of the perp are obvious.
    In fact, it's a pity that someone didn't give this creep a terminal case of lead poisoning.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yup, you could easily justify braining him. He's in the process of a forcible felony, as legally he's in the process of robbing the deputy. He's taking property by force, and the fact its a firearm is just more justfication. Indiana makes disarming an LEO its own felony as well, but that's beside the point for this discussion.

I can think of a few reasons things went as they did, but if I were a betting man I'd say it was training. These guys are probably jail deputies. What are the tactics when someone is acting a fool in a jail cell? Lots of guys overwhelm him and hold him down until he stops being a fool. That's what they did here. Overwhelming numbers and just pile on until he's under control. Street cops / road deputies are more used to acting on their own or with one partner, and their training would be more geared toward using a force multiplier such as a taser, baton, etc. Just a guess, but that's what I'd say happened. We all fall back to our training under stress.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yup, you could easily justify braining him. He's in the process of a forcible felony, as legally he's in the process of robbing the deputy. He's taking property by force, and the fact its a firearm is just more justfication. Indiana makes disarming an LEO its own felony as well, but that's beside the point for this discussion.

I can think of a few reasons things went as they did, but if I were a betting man I'd say it was training. These guys are probably jail deputies. What are the tactics when someone is acting a fool in a jail cell? Lots of guys overwhelm him and hold him down until he stops being a fool. That's what they did here. Overwhelming numbers and just pile on until he's under control. Street cops / road deputies are more used to acting on their own or with one partner, and their training would be more geared toward using a force multiplier such as a taser, baton, etc. Just a guess, but that's what I'd say happened. We all fall back to our training under stress.

Great thinking there, that makes perfect sense on the training aspect.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The one I have in mind is the Safariland 6378. Safariland® Model 6378 ALS® Paddle Holster

They also offer an optional guard that installs over the release mechanism that essentially makes it a Level 3 retention.

I have the equivalent with belt loops for Glock 17, and an assortment of its predecessor for other makes and models. It's a first rate piece of gear and you won't be disappointed.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just going to throw this out there one more time

The 7378 rides closer then the 6378, not a lot of guys want a holster that rides kinda far away from them, the 7378 is a nice snug fit while still allowing perfect draw.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just going to throw this out there one more time

The 7378 rides closer then the 6378, not a lot of guys want a holster that rides kinda far away from them, the 7378 is a nice snug fit while still allowing perfect draw.

My EDC is a 1911. Safariland's gun fit chart for the 7378 doesn't show 1911 holster available in the 7378.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Well, that makes sense. Of all these courtroom dustup videos I've seen, they have all ended like this one. Pile on and scrum. None of the victim families has won the lottery yet, that I've seen.

Waiting for a super-neato technology vendor to come up with an orange jumpsuit with a cattle-prod sewn into it...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've been studying Safariland stuff for a few days and from what I can tell there is very little difference between the basic ALS holster bodies. What you pay for is the pieces that comprise the retention system and what mounting arrangement you select. Those pieces are relatively cheap and it appears you can easily convert from a duty holster to what they refer to as concealable and between low, mid, and high ride, paddle, belt, or clip on. So I ended up with a 6360 with a Sentry option for level 4 retention. Easy to take that off. Also bought a couple different mount options besides the mid ride belt loop that it comes with.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For the first time in my life, I was able to use a Serpa paddle holster & a $9000 model G17 for some training last week.

Serpas suck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, that makes sense. Of all these courtroom dustup videos I've seen, they have all ended like this one. Pile on and scrum. None of the victim families has won the lottery yet, that I've seen.

Waiting for a super-neato technology vendor to come up with an orange jumpsuit with a cattle-prod sewn into it...

There sort of is. There is a box that straps to the thigh that will shock via remote control. They exist, but I don't know anywhere that uses them. They were invented for prisoner transport.

Top Bottom