• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Picking up a Kimber Custom Target in the next couple of days that I had put a deposit on a couple of weeks ago. Being my first 1911 I have a few noobie questions. Do all 1911's use the same type of mags, I have heard the Wilson mags are much better than the Kimber mags, can anyone confirm this? The gun comes with 1 mag and I will surely be buying a few more but want to make sure that a standard Wilson mag will work in my gun.

Also are all 1911 grips universal fit, I would like to upgrade the black ones with something a little purdee-er, I am aware Kimber sells replacements but wanted to look at other options.

I'm pretty sure I will be adding to my Kimber family in the future i.e. new carry gun, but wanted this one for plinking and getting the feel for the 1911 addiction that i'm sure will soon follow.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    what ever you do dont pick up a NightHawk custom and shoot it.I have two kimbers that will be up for sale soon.

All wilson mags are not the same but are a lot nicer than factory mags., floor plates are interchangeable to the specific grip contour of the gun.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    I have a couple of Kimber Mags and have not had any trouble with them after about 250 rounds each. I did pick up a Wilson recently and am really impressed with the quality. It was a lower-end 8 round model, but I don't remember specifically which it was.

Grips are universal fit.

billet-boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    jdude, nice choice. i love my kimber and you will love yours!ive had 2 and they have both been great. post some pics:yesway:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Congrats on getting your Kimber. The Kimber Stock mags are OK, but the Kimber Pro-Tac mags are a much better built mag (they are the ones I like to use for my Kimbers). Wilson Combat makes some good mags also, as do some other manufacturers.

The only difference for grips would be, the frame size (full size grip, ie Gov. model, or Compact grip, ie Officers, Ultra , etc). Also If you have a ambi safety then you would want to buy grips that have the ambi cut. another difference would be grips made for a extended mag well.

Assuming yours is a standard Kimber Custom II Target, you can buy grips from any of the grip manufacturers that are made for a full size (or Gov. model) 1911 with or without the ambi cut (you don't need it since you have just the standard safety).

Can't wait to read a range report and see some pics. :rockwoot:

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Picked it up today, wow does this feel good in my hand. I am going to the range Saturday morning to put a few rounds thru it. Thans for all the info so far.

I will try to post some pics but first i have to figure out how to. I have read the info on posting pics and understand you have to upload them elsewhere and link to them, I upload the onto my computer using piccasa and don't know if I can use this or if I can put them in my album and move them from there to a post. Any help would be appreciated.

Pics are in my album, I can't figure out how to add them to a post.

Last edited:

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    picture.php

Finally got the pic thing figured out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Very nice gun. I just picked my first Kimber (an Ultra Carry) up in February and am very happy. I moved the rubber grips over to my Rock Island Compact and installed a set of ultra thin grips that shave almost a quarter inch from the width.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Very nice gun. I just picked my first Kimber (an Ultra Carry) up in February and am very happy. I moved the rubber grips over to my Rock Island Compact and installed a set of ultra thin grips that shave almost a quarter inch from the width.

Nice, I'd like to have an ultra carry, probably try and wait and see if I can find one going used, I know where one is, but its overpriced a little.

Top Bottom