• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Ok - so I registered for some of the deer draw hunts this year and got luck to get Brown County early and Atterbury after Thanksgiving. Because of various reasons and the fact that I only really know a few hunters, I registered alone for them.

To my point - anyone else signed up alone for Brown County, Unit 6 on Nov 14-15? As this is my first season really hunting deer, I'd love to be able to team up with someone else at least for a little guidance in scouting and such. In particular, I'd greatly welcome assistance in the event that I'm successful. Naturally, I'd be happy to help with hauling/dressing out the other person's kill too. Shared labor, many hands and all that.

As for Atterbury, I've been blessed to receive an area map for the base, but don't know much beyond that and would welcome the same sort of arrangement. The difference is that I can bring someone along on that one, so if you wanted to go there but didn't get registered/drawn, maybe we can help each other out?

I'm happy to take my best shot at it all, so to speak, but I'd be happy to assist someone in exchange for some tips/direction and help if successful too.

TIA and good luck this season!

PS - my dear wife would also be happy to know that someone was helping me stay out of lanes of fire and not falling off a tree, etc. in my inexperience. :dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dnr state park hunts are fairly easy to get used to. Go to the meeting the night before the hunt and get the phone number for the office. Cation tape on the off limits areas, watch out for other hunters and get into a stand on a exit area and stay put until others start walking around.

If you get a deer all you have to do is drag it to a trail head and call in for a pickup and the DNR guys will haul it out in a pickup or ATV.

I hunted BCSP the first year the hunts started and several years after that. Normally the first day you have to hunt in area 6 the second day the park is yours. You can get lost in BCSP so that is the main concern.

I setup a nice tree stand and had a nice trail/ditch to get into the area all marked out. I miscounted the wooden bridges and got onto the 3 ditch instead of the 4 bridge and did not get into my stand the first day till almost 10 am. It looked like my area but all ditches look the same in the dark and so do orange trail markers.

I can;t remember area 6. I did get area 10 once and had a bus ride to Bloomfield and then a pickup truck ride into the interior or the park.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    P.S. I always hunt the state park hunts alone. Not once have I had a partner.

The INN at the park is open and empty if you need a place to stay. The price is discounted and the rooms are fairly good. I stayed one one night in my tent at the campground and it got down to 14 degrees. I made the other campers next to me slightly mad when I stayed in the tent all night. They had a pool on what time I went into the truck and turned on the heater. I had a simple heating pad in the sleeping bag and slept like a baby. The next morning they made me breakfast. Now i stay at the INN cause i can afford it.

Top Bottom