• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    There was a very good discussion on another board about the compromises made in a shortened 1911. It was mainly in slide timing and recoil spring life. Recoil springs need changed in a shorter 1911 much earlier than in a full size. For instance, my RIA Compact has a single recoil spring that needs changed every 400 rounds. My full size Springfield gets new springs between 3000 and 5000 rounds. My Kimber Ultra Carry has nested recoil springs and can go 1500 rounds between spring changes.

The RIA spring I'm using right now is a Wilson Combat 24# and cost about $8, so the short spring life is not a problem cost wise. I did start getting FTF with the original spring at around the 500 round mark, which went away with the spring change.

Also, compact 1911s are said to be more sensitive to tired magazines. I think that's part of the slide timing issues. I've been trying to find the original thread, but am having no luck yet.

You are right on the money, the slide velocity on a 3 inch 1911 is pretty high. It is approaching the side of physics where you are really going to have to have everything in sych.

I have an ultra Kimber, the ultra and micro sized guns need stiff mag springs to get the next round into place as quickly as possible. also the recoil springs do tired very quickly compared to a full size 1911.

On the positive side you cant beat the concealability and firepower out of a compact .45 if it will run reliability.

shawnfox12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    greenfield in,
    well i carry a .40 sub-com. and all of my friends have 1911 full size and subs im torn on that also i shoot just as well as they do and dont have any trouble but at night i do have a nice muzzle flash were the full frames dont i must say i like to carry a sub over a full frame just because of the size

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    my Defender at 12y will shoot right with my Gold Cup....i don't miss the extra 2" of barrel....C/T and night sites help:D
    vz7uyp.jpg

killer1202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    I don't have the 45,i just bought the colt commander 38 super. I like it much better to carry than the 45. Its alittle lighter and just as accurate

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry II for several months now and really like it. It does have a bit more muzzle flip than the Kimber Compact or the RIA Compact, but it sure does conceal well. It's accurate and reliable and carries very well.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Just thought I would bump this & ask if there are any new thoughts on the Springfield Micro Compact. Any new owners ? I'm getting ready to buy one that might have 50 rounds through it. As I mentioned before, I shot this gun & thought it performed well for it's size, & caliber.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    How about loss of velocity from an already slow cartridge? Lets add non-standard parts to that as well.

IMO micro compact 1911 = FAIL.

I shot my Kimber Ultra Carry over a chrono a while ago and it averaged about 780fps with 230gr hardball ammo. I shot a 4.25" Para at the same time and it went just over 800fps. I had a full size 1911 with me too but can't find the numbers for it right now. The Kimber UC has been completely reliable so far, the recoil is softer than I expected it to be and the accuracy is better than I expected.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    there alot more likly to jam then a full size, 1911's work alot better in 5 inch, i shoot many 1911's, and the subcompacts im yet to see one function good enough that id carry, and ive shoot and owned, colts kimbers springfields..... i really dont like the ones with alum frames, feed ramps get gauged. you might get one that shoots good with good mags, more then likely after 50 or 60 rounds it will hang up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had no trouble with my Kimber Ultra. It was a great little gun that ran like a sewing machine for the 500+ rounds I put through it. My favorite length though, is the 4" Officer sized gun like a Kimber Compact. It seems nicely balanced and I'm as accurate with that as I am with my full size 1911.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Not sure about the Springfield but the Kimber Ultra Carry has a ramped barrel.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I shot my brand new Kimber Ultra Carry II the other night. 120 rounds of 230 grain hard ball in less than 20 mins. Basically after some stories I've heard I wanted to put it under stress and run it hot and fast, didn't have a single issue.

Top Bottom