Drilling a hole into a solid surface countertop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If its stone or quartz, concrete or has stone or quartz in it- at least carbide, diamond is better- and water to cool the bit while drilling. Don't even think about a router. Anything with stone in it, need to be "ground" away, not cut.

There are hole saws for stone:

Z25AFyfo5oy.JPG

2Q==

And hole saws for wood/plastic/resin:

Z1t32_icpEx_.JPG

YAAAAAAAA==

They are not the same.

If it's resin (with no stone or quartz), the a forstner wood bit would be fine.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It’s not an RO system. Just a water filter system. My faucet is currently hooked up to the water softener, and I’m going to switch it back to Hard water.
    Then install the water filter. I’d like to go back to just drinking tap water.

I don’t know what material the counter top is. I bought the solid surface top from Lowe’s. And they had it subcontracted out to a place in Indy.
    I forgot I had it, but I just found a scrap piece that they had gave me. I’m going to try drilling a section of it to practice.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s not an RO system. Just a water filter system. My faucet is currently hooked up to the water softener, and I’m going to switch it back to Hard water.
    Then install the water filter. I’d like to go back to just drinking tap water.

I don’t know what material the counter top is. I bought the solid surface top from Lowe’s. And they had it subcontracted out to a place in Indy.
    I forgot I had it, but I just found a scrap piece that they had gave me. I’m going to try drilling a section of it to practice.

So is it basically like a sediment and charcoal filter? I think if the flow through it isn't much lower than without it, I'd be tempted to take the suggestion of running it through the cold side of the faucet.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    One thing is that unless you have a press forsner bits can “walk” easier than something that has a more substantial pilot such as a hole saw or paddle style bit.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So is it basically like a sediment and charcoal filter? I think if the flow through it isn't much lower than without it, I'd be tempted to take the suggestion of running it through the cold side of the faucet.

I had thought of that. They say the filters should be changed once a year, and they are around $50. I figured if the system was ran thru the existing faucet, they’d be used more. Cleaning, washing dishes etc.

Plus I’m not sure how it would affect the current water flow. If it wasn’t a large concern, I’m all for doing it. It would be an easier job.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If its stone or quartz, concrete or has stone or quartz in it- at least carbide, diamond is better- and water to cool the bit while drilling. Don't even think about a router. Anything with stone in it, need to be "ground" away, not cut.

There are hole saws for stone:

Z25AFyfo5oy.JPG

2Q==

And hole saws for wood/plastic/resin:

Z1t32_icpEx_.JPG

YAAAAAAAA==

They are not the same.

If it's resin (with no stone or quartz), the a forstner wood bit would be fine.

You should have picked one up for him when you were at Menards.:cool:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I had thought of that. They say the filters should be changed once a year, and they are around $50. I figured if the system was ran thru the existing faucet, they’d be used more. Cleaning, washing dishes etc.

Plus I’m not sure how it would affect the current water flow. If it wasn’t a large concern, I’m all for doing it. It would be an easier job.

Use the auxiliary faucet, LM. Filters will last much longer. Just be sure to attend any container you're filling. Especially if it sets on the counter. The flow is quiet and at our house we have been known to get distracted and only notice the problem when we hear water splashing on the hardwood. :ugh:

Top Bottom