• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I agree. However, it all comes down to common sense. If you have your full wits and comprehension abilities about you, shouldn't matter.

And that is what I mean. I went in not knowing about having a beer, and it turning out to be a 32oz GRANDE! So I decided to disarm and enjoy the show. I think what I did was correct for the situation that I was in.

As for the comments by
    [qoute] Sailor

Choosing to be unarmed in a legal public place = fail to me.
    Choosing to be unarmed cause you like the beer = fail to me.
    [/quote]

I appreciate your comments, but would like to say that choosing to be unarmed in a legal public place is a choice that I made, not a governmental body, or some other law or rule, but me, I made that choice and by making that choice for the next 3 hours we are not protected from harm because I am disarmed, well I know we try and prepare for the worst, and expect the best, but I examined the area I was in, knowing I was in a pretty nice part of town with a low crime rate, I went ahead and made a judgement call and decided to have a beer and disarm. I guess I thought for 3 short hours myself and my wife would be looked over by God.

As for disarming because I like the beer, well honestly XX on tap is not all that prevalent, and I really like it. If I were at home drinking I would not be armed. I know that in my home, if something were to "go down" and a BG attempt entry, my daughter is more than prepared to defend her home.

So, I knew I was in public, and I am not going to drink myself into a coma, I felt that since I would not be anywhere close to being drunk, I went ahead and disarmed. Again 3 hours was a short time for me, remember me, to make the choice to disarm. Unlike when I go to my sons tennis, or daughters cheerleading, I am REQUIRED to disarm and NOT HAVE A GUN IN MY OWN CAR, unless I want to park off campus, and walk. Well, that is someone else telling me where I cant defend myself, and honestly I feel less safe at a high school than at a Mexican resturant.

INGunGuy

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Does 2 1/2 beers make you flip out and want to kill everyone or keep you from being able to walk away from a situation? I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did however I think you need to really ask yourself the question above.

If the answer is yes, they you most certainly did the right thing however you might want to re-consider drinking at all. If the answer is no then what safety factor did you really gain by locking your gun up in the car?

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    You have to know your limits. I'm a bit on the larger side, so I could drink 36oz. of beer without worrying about it too much. Others might be able to drink more or not as much before they start to feel the effects.

It all boils down to whether or not giving up half of that monster beer in order to stay armed is worth it to you. You did right by putting the gun away before possibly overdoing it, but me, I would probably have just drank half the beer and been done with it. I'd rather have my gun.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    For me, it is the difference between "drinking" and "having a drink."

6'3" and 230. I homebrewed beer for years and my liquor of choice is Scotch, neat. I will have a drink or two, within my limits, at a bar and feel that my blood-alcohol level (legal limit) and senses (individual limit) are such that driving or being armed isn't an issue. That's "having a drink."

"Drinking." That's not something I do much anymore. It's sort of a Southern term, at least as I was exposed to it. It means I'm going to get out, hoot-holler and get all F... frazzled... up. At 41, not something I'm inclined much to do anymore except in the most rare of circumstances with long-lost friends from around the country. Then? I'm not carrying into a bar. I'm not driving a car. Also, this only happens when it is a bunch of guy-buddies. Not when I'm in the protective role of husband-father.

I do carry a firearm the vast majority of the time. I cannot at the workplace.

I'm not in poor health, have been in more than a handful of scraps in my life, and can take a hit. Heck, like rugby it's even a little fun sometimes. ;) Deep joint pressure, ya know? All of that in mind, I generally get along with folks, whether it is solo in a foreign Third World country (Central America = Mexico, Belize, Guatemala) or if it is alone, camping and making friends at a Harley Rally in Cherokee.

I'm not the first target of choice. Good, respectful attitude. Confidence in yourself and your abilities.. Some good situational awareness. Maintain good physical fitness. I'm *not* some bad tactical operator, though.

I don't know, guys. It's an individual choice that everyone needs to make for themselves.

Do I carry most of the time? Yeah.

Do I feel "naked" or unable to defend myself without a carry gun on me? No.

Excepting air travel, I can also count the times in the last 20 years that I've not had a blade on me... well, probably on both hands.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you. I mean that sincerely as someone who has worked a lot of bad results from people with poor judgement. Both for not driving when another sober driver was available, and for having the maturity to know your limit and taking care of your weapon before your judgement was altered. The person drinking is the worst person to judge how affected they are.

You are using the word judgment in two different contexts and expecting no one to call you out on it?

The judgment to judge the speed of on coming vehicles and steering corrections is completely different than the judgment to know when your life is being threatened by an assailant... as is the ability to properly employ your defenses.

I submit that should I need a gun for self defense, it will be because I am about to suffer serve bodily injury or death. I'm not sure how trying to employ a weapon in a state where a persons abilities may be slightly impaired (note slightly, not poop-faced drunk) is going to make things any worse for them.

Haven grown wiser over the years, I don't think it's good judgment for a person to be in public consuming a sufficient quantity of alcohol to put them in a state where they are this 'danger' to themselves or someone else.

Again, personal responsibility is king and it's up to the individual person to be responsible and understand what they need to do... or not do.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I agree with Paddling Man.

To me, there is Drinking and there's Drinkin'.

When I'm Drinking I might be having a glass of wine with my dinner or enjoying a mug of dark beer on the back porch while the sun sets. When I'm drinking its ok for me to carry my weapon.

When I'm Drinkin', (Something I don't do much of anymore...) I'm out to get ---k'd up with my friends. I'm not gonna be in control and by the end of the night that little part of my brain that makes my eyes blink is gonna be calling the shots. When I'm drinkin' the gun stays home.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Q: When you're at the range, Is it allowable for those that have been drinking to fire , be handling live weapons on the range?

Q: What would happen from a legal perspective if someone was injured at the range by someone who had been drinking?

Q: For Prometheus , When I use the wording "drinking" I mean Drinking in which the person becomes legally intoxicated. You keep on saying you know your limit, blah, blah blah... Thing is at a bar YOU have NO way of controlling how many drinks others may be consuming beyond those in your party. Others may be over the limit that are packing.

When you are legally intoxicated.
    It is a known fact your thought processes and analytical skills are impaired.

Alcohol alters your ability to make decisions and judgments. Even a small amount slows reflexes.

If you are involved in a shooting samples of your blood, urine, etc will be taken and that will be used against you in court.

If one of the rounds from your weapon injures, maims, or kills someone (especially a bystander) the jury will look at you just like they would a DRUNK DRIVER that has killed someone, even if you are below the limit as most people think that firearms and alcohol don't mix.

Q: Say for example someone had due to their being intoxicated had shot your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/ boyfriend in a Bar shoot-out.... killing or maiming them....

Would you say "Hey, that's OK, poor guy couldn't hold his liquor... he should have known better.... or would you pursue legal action against them?

Would you press charges /seek payment for medical or burial costs of your loved one?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if a guy breaks into my house and i just woke up from drinking that evening at home and ACCIDENTLY shoot low twice through both of his knee caps and then the gun ACCIDENTLY discharges and shoots him through the testicles, and then i FINALY get my bearrings and put one through his dome, will i be sued? hehehehe not by him!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Q: For Prometheus , When I use the wording "drinking" I mean Drinking in which the person becomes legally intoxicated. You keep on saying you know your limit, blah, blah blah... Thing is at a bar YOU have NO way of controlling how many drinks others may be consuming beyond those in your party. Others may be over the limit that are packing.

When you are legally intoxicated.
    It is a known fact your thought processes and analytical skills are impaired.

Legally intoxicated... you mean I can carry at .07 but not at .08? Again, you are creating strawmen and pitting one against the other. What is a KNOWN FACT is that the state is broke and they make (on average) $4,500 profit from every DUI/DWI. Science shows that many, in fact most, people don't show response delayed enough to cause any danger until .1 It's just like 65mph is perfectly safe and 66mph is a crime.

The need for these insane and arbitrary laws allow for people to not think for themselves nor take any personal responsibility. Which is exactly what you are advocating.

If you are involved in a shooting samples of your blood, urine, etc will be taken and that will be used against you in court.
    Versus being put in a box and carried by six of your friends?

Get over it and yourself.

Place RESPONSIBILITY first and all these issues sort themselves out.

As to the rest of your silly questions, they can all be answered the same way and they will all involve the world "responsible" or a variation of it.

P E R S O N A L R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

It's honestly not that hard of a concept.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Bingo, we have a winner!

Bar, Low light, crowded, lots of movement & Intoxicated shooter is recipe for disaster.

OP did the right thing by separating himself from the firearm.

For those that drink, and keep the gun on you.... Good luck on that, if you are intoxicated more than likely you will be disarmed, maybe getting shot with your own gun. If you get some shots off you are going to jail / would be in for many thousands of dollars in legal fees. If you hit a bystander which would be REAL easy to do in a bar you would be in so much do-do you'd never see the light of day.

PS: The below cams appear to be picking up IR /are low light cams so to the naked eye the ambient light level would be what you'd expect in a bar.

Now for those that say Drinking and Firearms mix, say for example someone had shot your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend in a Bar shoot-out.... killing or maiming them....

Shooter was intoxicated= Would you say "Hey, that's OK.... or would you pursue legal action against them?

(Remember, this is your "squeeze" we're talking about- Would you press charges?)

:wtf:Seriously? I could care less if they were intoxicated, on crack, or a zombie.....I would press charges to the fullest extent of the law regardless.....BECAUSE THEY SHOT MY WIFE....not because they were intoxicated. If you reverse your question, I would assume that you would be okay with a loved one being shot in a bar as long as the shooter was sober. Read you post again and think long and hard about it.

I rarely go out drinking anymore, we usually walk 2 doors down to out neighbors house or they walk up to our house, and we drink at home. That way we avoid any hassles that happens when you go out drinking.

INGunGuy

So do you lock your guns up when you are drinking at home? Just curious because I don't see the difference.

Q: When you're at the range, Is it allowable for those that have been drinking to fire , be handling live weapons on the range?

Firing ranges are made for the discharge of firearms......apples and oranges.

Q: What would happen from a legal perspective if someone was injured at the range by someone who had been drinking?

What does that have to do with self-defense?

Even more of a reason not to ditch the gun.

Q: Say for example someone had due to their being intoxicated had shot your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/ boyfriend in a Bar shoot-out.... killing or maiming them....

Would you say "Hey, that's OK, poor guy couldn't hold his liquor... he should have known better.... or would you pursue legal action against them?

Would you press charges /seek payment for medical or burial costs of your loved one?

Once again, this is about the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. I am not trying to offend you, but you really need to read this again and again untill you realize how ridiculous it is :twocents:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    So do you lock your guns up when you are drinking at home? Just curious because I don't see the difference.

All of my firearms stay locked in my safe's except for my carry piece which I carry with me at all times. If I am drinkin' to get a good drunk on, then the firearm comes off, and put in my gunvault in the bedroom.

INGunGuy

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Firing ranges are made for the discharge of firearms......apples and oranges.

That is correct, they are. And my range has very clear signage in place that those who are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs are not permitted in the range area. Doesn't yours?

What does that have to do with self-defense?
    Think about the Four Rules, especially Rule #4: Know your target and your backstop.
    Granted, you have to be alive to either feel badly, be sued, or be taken to court criminally, but surely you understand that if you do happen to miss a shot and hit someone else in the bar, any alcohol in your system (rather than the BG moving just at the right time by chance, etc) will be used to describe the reason for the miss. I don't know if that's right, wrong, or indifferent. I know that I choose to simply not drink, armed or not. Personally, I don't think being armed at all while drinking is a good idea. I don't advocate law on this point, I just think it's a bad idea. So, since being armed is so important, if asked, my advice would be to keep the gun and forego the drink(s).

Blessings,
    Bill

LEO IN TRAINING

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    wheatfield, indiana
    im gonna say that if you cant handle your alcohol and worry about not being able to control yourself with a firearm on you then i can say that makes you irresponsible with your drinking....I agree with Prometheus!!!! letting your wife drive was a responsible move since march is operation ticket month, better safe than a 3,000.00 attorney and court fees...

mtyt61783

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN SOUTHSIDE
    Im with you Prometheus, I also attend clubs downtown. I always carry. A gun to me is as common as my wallet. Just because someone may hassle you @ you local tavern, doest mean your gonna need 2 pull your gun. They have bouncers 2 take care of that. If someone was 2 put you in a situation where your life was in danger , what are you going 2 do puke up 32oz of xx on em!!! Dont take that as a personal attack ingunguy. if your ever downtown ill buy a xx.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    That is correct, they are. And my range has very clear signage in place that those who are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs are not permitted in the range area. Doesn't yours?

Think about the Four Rules, especially Rule #4: Know your target and your backstop.
    Granted, you have to be alive to either feel badly, be sued, or be taken to court criminally, but surely you understand that if you do happen to miss a shot and hit someone else in the bar, any alcohol in your system (rather than the BG moving just at the right time by chance, etc) will be used to describe the reason for the miss. I don't know if that's right, wrong, or indifferent. I know that I choose to simply not drink, armed or not. Personally, I don't think being armed at all while drinking is a good idea. I don't advocate law on this point, I just think it's a bad idea. So, since being armed is so important, if asked, my advice would be to keep the gun and forego the drink(s).

Blessings,
    Bill

Thank you sir, that is the point I was trying to make.

EG: Firearms and Alcohol don't mix. You should forgo the drinks.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Legally intoxicated... you mean I can carry at .07 but not at .08? Again, you are creating strawmen and pitting one against the other. What is a KNOWN FACT is that the state is broke and they make (on average) $4,500 profit from every DUI/DWI. Science shows that many, in fact most, people don't show response delayed enough to cause any danger until .1 It's just like 65mph is perfectly safe and 66mph is a crime.

The need for these insane and arbitrary laws allow for people to not think for themselves nor take any personal responsibility. Which is exactly what you are advocating.

Versus being put in a box and carried by six of your friends?

Get over it and yourself.

Place RESPONSIBILITY first and all these issues sort themselves out.

As to the rest of your silly questions, they can all be answered the same way and they will all involve the world "responsible" or a variation of it.

P E R S O N A L R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

It's honestly not that hard of a concept.

Prometheus,

Answer the below YES, or NO.

Q: Would you be ok if your wife,etc was shot accidentally by someone who was drunk. YES, or NO.

Q: At the range, is alcohol consumption allowed?

Q: At the range- Are you shooting in extremely low light?

Q: At the range- Are those pop-up targets shooting back at you?

Q: At the range- If you do "miss" your target, Is there a very real chance of hitting a innocent bystander? as would happen at a crowded bar?

Q: At a bar, under low light conditions in which during a gunfight people (not you as you're super cool and a dead shot) would panic, start running around, jumping/diving as shown in the above video would you bet the life of your first born child that you could be assured to hit ONLY the bad guy?

Q: Does drinking impair judgement, reaction time?

Q: Do you drink and drive? Are you ok with people operating on average a 4,000lb projectile that is traveling 60mph+/- on a narrow two-lane road that is inches away from a vehicle in which your wife and child are on board? Wife's vehicle traveling @ 60, and the drunks vehicle traveling at 60?

Q: Getting back to firearms.... Would you be willing to bet the life of your wife/son, etc to someone that had been "drinking" if your wife was in close proximity to the "bad" guy.

Q: Would you bet the life of your wife/son that others in the bar be as "responsible" as you claim you are?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom